Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with customs?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

can anyone help me out.... my AEG has been stopped by customs in dublin with the following message

'THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED'

has anyone experienced this before?? its at 385FPS would that be the problem or are costs just been calculated? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

dirdeen wrote: »
    can anyone help me out.... my AEG has been stopped by customs in dublin with the following message

'THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED'

has anyone experienced this before?? its at 385FPS would that be the problem or are costs just been calculated? :eek:

Well if that's the velocity it's firing at you better hope it's not sent for ballistic testing because at that fps it's classed as a firearm and will be destroyed.

It could also have been seized by Customs for VAT, I've never used a courier so I'm not familiar with how they add on VAT etc.

But if by some miracle it arrives at your door, you better get it downgraded asap because it's an unlicensed firearm at that fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

Just call Customs and ask how can you assist them with clearing your package with customs.

As Blay said, it might be for Customs and VAT. Just ask yourself a question if package wasn't incorrectly declared or value on the package was too low and that draw the attention of Customs.

First off all call Custums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

If it isn't sent for testing (and then destroyed for being an illegal firearm) and you do get it delivered get it down graded straight away. First off at 385fps its illegal and secondly (and less important than the first) you won't be able to use it anywhere as its over the limit (328fps with a 0,2g bb is the max power allowed by law).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Exactly the same problem here. Ups you sent it through too ya? Its a bad joke, basically meaning you HAVE to buy Irish for airsoft. Not that Irish retailers aren't great but for price and a different range china has some great places.

See this similar thread .... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677686

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd reckon the problem here is more to do with the description and or condition of the package the retailer provided rather than UPS. I had a good few packages delivered by UPS over the past few months and all cleared customs no problem.

The packages would be mainly from Uncompany, ehobby and WGC, none were ever opened or held by customs, just an orange C.O.D sticker was stuck on it and ''airsoft'' in red marker. I don't even think they looked at the paper listing the power rating of each device provided in the external invoice slips.

Had two packages come into Dublin airport at 7am yesterday and they were through customs, VAT and duty calculated and at my door by noon. The van driver knows me at this stage, keeps asking me about airsoft and whats the range, power and accuracy like etc, think I have him interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

You know that new bill regarding Airsoft was passed and it's acctually a law now. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't import AEGs and GBBs?

From my experience, UPS is the worst courier to get from HK/China. When you add all the costs time, problems etc. Buying from HK/China is not so good deal after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

You know that new bill regarding Airsoft was passed and it's acctually a law now. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't import AEGs and GBBs?

this section of the law is indeed know on the books but as far as im aware they are not infourcing it until the licensing infrastructure is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dirdeen

cheers for the info guys, got sorted anyway and my AEG arrived today....customs was cheap too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

cheers for the info guys, got sorted anyway and my AEG arrived today....customs was cheap too :D

Now go get it downgraded. IMMEDIATELY!

Hey Dirdeen, any tips on what ya did to get it moving?

• Advertisement

So UPS called today, said customs are saking for a firearms license!
    They advised me to call customs so I have done. Spoke with a guy there and I advised I have documents from RSOV and declerations of conformity, that I dont hold a firearms license as they arent classed as such.

Sent off an email with the documents and a brief explintaion of the sport and basics of the pistols (construction, energey levels, mechanics etc).

Gave the legal standpoint in irish law regarding power levels and by the very nature of the devices and way the sport is played they cant cause bodily harm. Also gave the IAA's url if he is in doubt.

Basically trying to be as open and helpfull as poss, seems like they are chancing their arms a bit. I can imagine they recived the pistols in ballistics and hadnt a clue how to gas them up etc so are just requesting a license. If it comes down to it I'd gladly post them gas and instuctions for a proper test like but it just seems so irregular that they wouldnt have a point of contact for this sort of stuff? Even a quick google would help them out? Whats the problem they have with actually asking the person they took them from what they are and how their used?

It seems like anyone here would gladly explain it and help even for their own sakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭coys

The reason they may be asking for a firearms license is that the Aeg/pistol may have been chrono'ed and over the limit...therefore its legally a firearm! and If you don't posess one the Aeg/pistol will be destroyed and they are quite right to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

The reason they may be asking for a firearms license is that the Aeg/pistol may have been chrono'ed and over the limit...therefore its legally a firearm! and If you don't posess one the Aeg/pistol will be destroyed and they are quite right to do so

unfortunately that is not the case, you can not have a firearms licence for an airsoft device, even if you shot real steel does not mean you can then use and own a >1j airsoft device im afraid

Oh absolutely, if its over 1j then fair enough and then my gripe is with rsov who said it was legal and firing @ 0.87j. Will find out more tomorrow but I just cant see a garda knowing how to gas up and use a gas blowback pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

hightower1 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely, if its over 1j then fair enough and then my gripe is with rsov who said it was legal and firing @ 0.87j. Will find out more tomorrow but I just cant see a garda knowing how to gas up and use a gas blowback pistol?

The Gardai in ballistics have been testing airsoft guns on import for the past 3 years, so I'm sure they're aware of how to operate the guns properly:) I think some people here in the past had some trouble with Customs requesting a firearms licence and as far as I can remember, explaining that it was an airsoft gun sufficed to have it released.

I guess I just dont have much confidence in a force that didnt even know what they had done with the pistols let alone if they had been tested.
    I suppose if they did test as over 1j I could get a statement to that effect and take it up with RSOV.

As far as I know though the pistol as standard isn't even capable of firing over 1j? http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=3787
    Thats what lead me to believe they hadn't tested.

Most gas blow back pistols fire under 1j I assume? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Most GBB aren't capable of firing over one joule i suppose that's probably because there meant to be used as a backup.But there are upgraded versions well over our limit.

lol well the one's they are testing for me are clones so hardly top notch like. I would be very very surprised if it shot over 1j tbh.

Last call I made I was told they were sent up x2 weeks ago but I could see the detective just saying that and asking for the license as if I had one it'd be a non issue and not actually need testing. No need to keep an eye on it and no me calling weekly for an eta.

Somethings not adding up thats for sure.

This is funny at this stage.... so now customs call and say they will talk to the Gardai and see what they say that its out of their hands? Yesterday they were asking for a firearms license .... I pointed out the testing sheet and spec sheet of the gbb saying power = 1 Joule... followed by the definition under the firearms act 2006 stating an airgun with a muzzle energy greater than 1joule. So I need a firearms license even if I dont own a firearm?????

If I buy a bicycle off ebay ..... should i buy a motorcycle license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Hi might be off topic I have got a few Aegs ( last year) From RSOV and the like) It is now cheaper to buy from a local or Irish retailer, Also the only ones I had no problem with were the ones I got in Ireland. As for the ratings Rsov give on their site you would be better of trusting a politicion The last one I got stated 330fps but when I chronoed it it fired at 420 plus. As for Ups they add an extra charge for putting it trough customs on top of the vat. When I am next in the position to buy again I will be buying From Tony or Rhinocharge .

Rgds
    Babyjames

• Advertisement

Well I would only buy gbb's from off shore places and even at that I want to be sure its not poss to five over 1 joule but its pretty much a non issue as most gbb's are under 1 joule and dont need to be modded.

With regards to the cost? I cant agree, x2 meu's (acm) I got for approx 150 inc p and p which is less that the price of ONE from an Irish retailer not even including p and p. Yes they may not be top quality but the price comparative to the quality of the nearest (prob TM) makes them much better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dirdeen

yea cheers for that!! my mate had no problem ordering in from ehobbyasia but they didnt check my e mails so not only did they not downgrade my AEG but they didn't state that it was valued lower than it was so i kinda got raped on the customs, next time defo buyin irish(well imported of course but from an irish retailer)...there's so many dealers in the marketplace now that its not hard to find decent deals!! would of been sound if my friend had or recommended buying irish!! :(

How about buying airsoft parts from ehobby and EBay airsoft what kinda customs charges should i expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Divide the value of the goods including shipping by 25% and you'll get your answer.

I'm going to be very poor by the end of next week.Or hopefully customs wont check them there only parts after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

.22 Lover wrote: »
    How about buying airsoft parts from ehobby and EBay airsoft what kinda customs charges should i expect?

Also can depend on who the shipper is - some like UPS have high handling charges etc.

If through An Post the
    "charges are on goods valued over €22 and are calculated on the cost of bringing a consignment into the country including postage, packing, handling insurance and freight. The charges consist of:

Customs Duty (where applicable)
    21.5% VAT
    An Post handling fee of €6
    ."

Like Leftyflip said - roughly add at least 25%.
    Practically every package I have gotten recently has been customs checked and charged where appropriate so dont be surprised if you are asked for a load of extra money.

Not pointed at you .22:), just a general comment - Talk of duty/vat avoidance (NB idiots who brag about receiving packages without "getting hit" etc) is not only against this forum rules but it's also illegal. Forums like this are perused by more than just airsofters...

edit - .22 it's the value I'm afraid... parts are subject to the same charges

So then my 169 euro worth of goods is going to be allot more then expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

.22 Lover wrote: »
    So then my 160 worth of goods is going to be allot more then expected.

:(
    Expect the worst and hope for the best.
    Bottom line is buying Irish is better value in the long run - especially when you consider that when things go wrong with HK / China sellers - you are largely on yer own...

There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating than sending numerous emails about faulty or damaged items - only to be told
    "yea, so what - it's china made so what do you expect..." (paraphrased of course - but essentially the same response)

It's a rock and a hard place tho as sometimes the items you need are often only available/ in stock abroad. :(

As me ould mother goose used to say... suck it up:P
    Best of luck man;)

:(
    Expect the worst and hope for the best.
    Bottom line is buying Irish is better value in the long run - especially when you consider that when things go wrong with HK / China sellers - you are largely on yer own...

There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating than sending numerous emails about faulty or damaged items - only to be told
    "yea, so what - it's china made so what do you expect..." (paraphrased of course - but essentially the same response)

It's a rock and a hard place tho as sometimes the items you need are often only available/ in stock abroad. :(

As me ould mother goose used to say... suck it up:P
    Best of luck man;)
    Well now Ive heard the best and the worst of ordering abroad so i will expect to be somewhere in the middle between worst possible on customs charge and no hassle job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I'd recommend buying Irish because:
    A) You get to hold the gun
    B) Try before you buy
    C) Ask a shed load of questions
    D) Warranty
    E) No extra charges
    F) You get to go into a store and browse, hold what you like and ask questions about it then and there...rather than trawl through the net looking for images, and loking at reviews.
    G) No waiting

I've ordered abroad, and had it work out cheaper. Not to mention the selection. However, I just prefer the in-store chat cause it has helped me tremendously.

Advertisement