Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill or Prepay?

• 10-09-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I searched for threads on this, i couldn't find any. So which are you?

I've been prepay since forever, i'm spending around 15 euro a week on credit and im sick to death of running out at the wrong time. So today i ordered a bill phone. I've gone with a 200 texts + 200 minutes + 2gb monthly data allowance with vodafone. Plus i get free anytime texts and calls to vodafone. Works out at 64 euro a month, which is 16 euro a week.

Has anyone here went to billpay and then moved back for any reason? Is there any reason why i shouldn't go billpay? something i'm overlooking?

Bill or Prepay? 30 votes

Bill
    0% 0 votes
    Prepay
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

One thing you should know about even though it's too late :D

You can top up by text with all of the networks (except 3 I think) so there's no need to run out at the wrong time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I was with three! I'd ring up to topup using my laser card and they'd say they can only accept laser card top ups in emergencies, so i'd have to tell them its an emergency :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Bill 10 years, got fed up of credit...mind you there was only one way of topping up at that time, and it was a top up card only available in newsagents/petrol stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

on Bill pay from 7 years, currently With o2 Clear sim, €20 per month with free o2 and landlines. so about €50 a month.

I was with three! I'd ring up to topup using my laser card and they'd say they can only accept laser card top ups in emergencies, so i'd have to tell them its an emergency :rolleyes:

Same here. Farcical system. They also say that once you use a card you have to use the same card forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'm on prepay. I'd prefer billpay, since having to top up is a pain in the arse (and did have a Meteor Lite plan for a few months), but I send far too many texts across all the networks for billpay to be economical. Pity none of the networks have "any network text" tariffs on billpay, similar to prepay :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I searched for threads on this, i couldn't find any. So which are you?

I've been prepay since forever, i'm spending around 15 euro a week on credit and im sick to death of running out at the wrong time. So today i ordered a bill phone. I've gone with a 200 texts + 200 minutes + 2gb monthly data allowance with vodafone. Plus i get free anytime texts and calls to vodafone. Works out at 64 euro a month, which is 16 euro a week.

Has anyone here went to billpay and then moved back for any reason? Is there any reason why i shouldn't go billpay? something i'm overlooking?

I'd shop around. With Meteor you would get 200mins, 200 texts and 10gigs of data a month for 39.99! Best advice I can give it to look around before committing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Mr.S wrote: »
    same with me, i need free texts to every network, i just haven't seen any bill pay plan that has it!

So im stuck on PAYG with free texts but spending a fortune on calls, grr.

Theres 02 Billpay(much as it kills me to say it) that gives you 350 mins a month and any network texts for €50??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

bill pay lite, 10e + the 5e data thingy

but i have and use plenty of prepaid sims. if i go anywhere i buy a prepaid sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Prepay, was on billpay with Voda for about 10 years (Back when it was Eircell on the 088 network) but now as long as my data addon still gives me all the net on the move I need I'm happy to buy credit when needed.
    (would love if you can do it online...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

So yous are saying that 'Inclusive Texts' -> http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/price_plans/ is only on Meteor - Meteor? It doesn't say that anywhere, not even in the small print in Ts and Cs :confused:

The 50 texts are to other networks. Since your Meteor to Meteor texts will be free under BPL, texts you send to other Meteor mobiles will not be deducted from your inclusive texts.

Wasn't referring to Bill Pay Lite, but all the other plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

On O2 UK prepay at the moment... Works out pretty well seeing as I very rarely make calls on it. You can get a web bolt on for £7.50, and unlimited texts if you top up by £15 a month

Tempted to move over to a bill phone just to get a shiny new Blackberry Bold, but 1-2 year contracts scare the bejaysus out of me...

neil2304 wrote: »
    Wasn't referring to Bill Pay Lite, but all the other plans
    Sorry, in that case then your inclusive texts include texts sent to all ROI networks. Not limited to just Meteor to Meteor texts.

Kensington wrote: »
    Sorry, in that case then your inclusive texts include texts sent to all ROI networks.

Ah sound. It's settled then - Bill Pay it is. Thx =)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

was bill pay for 3 months. changed back to pay as i go cos i got fed up with the VAT on everything ..i was happy on prepay, wanted to see what bill pay was like. line rental for month 25e. free txt to 086 mobiles,vat was doing my head in. now im better of with 20e free txt to any mobile. that 20e is used for fone calls. top it up every month with 20, no vat on that. i can keep tabs on my credit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

blond45 wrote: »
    was bill pay for 3 months. changed back to pay as i go cos i got fed up with the VAT on everything ..i was happy on prepay, wanted to see what bill pay was like. line rental for month 25e. free txt to 086 mobiles,vat was doing my head in. now im better of with 20e free txt to any mobile. that 20e is used for fone calls. top it up every month with 20, no vat on that. i can keep tabs on my credit better.

There is vat still and its 22% i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dankoozy wrote: »
    There is vat still and its 22% i think

Its 21.5%, but he means its already included. Not receiving bill totals ex vat and then even worse after the vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Before choosing any plan or network, check out callcosts.ie - I tried it last month, entered all my call details for August with Meteor pre-paid. The same amount of calls / texts with Tesco Mobile would've cost me under €7.

The site is legit - it's operated by ComReg.

Plus you get free credit everytime you top-up with Tesco.. €10 for every tenner spent. Coverage is good too as they use the 02 network (so no more walking round the house trying to find bars to make a call).

• Advertisement

blond45 wrote: »

There's exactly the same vat of 21.5% on that, it's just not as obvious because it's not listed separately. You're actually paying €16.46 + €3.54 vat

Unless you mean you're not paying a per text charge anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Before choosing any plan or network, check out callcosts.ie - I tried it last month, entered all my call details for August with Meteor pre-paid. The same amount of calls / texts with Tesco Mobile would've cost me under €7.

The site is legit - it's operated by ComReg.

Plus you get free credit everytime you top-up with Tesco.. €10 for every tenner spent. Coverage is good too as they use the 02 network (so no more walking round the house trying to find bars to make a call).

NEVER, EVER use callcosts.ie.

I put in my exact usage. I top up by €20 a month, and get free o2 calls/texts as a result. And of that €20 I usually have about €15 left at the end of the month.

So even though I'm topping up by €20 a month, I'm actually only really spending about €5 of that credit for the 1st 30 days.

BUT, according to callcosts, when I put in my EXACT usage, it claims my usage costs €127 per month.

How can anyone rely on a site that is off by 635%???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Agree, my OH recently changed from 3pay to Best of Both 45. Her bill is capped at 45 pm. Put in her usage and it told her the plan to Best suit her would be Relax 650 @ 69 pm. Stupid, stupid, stupid site. Never use callcosts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ the amount of money people use on credit

I top up €20 euro per month with meteor for free calls and texts to meteor, i currently have €117 credit because i rarely spend anywhere near €20 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

lol @ the amount of money people use on credit

I top up 20 euro per month with meteor for free calls and texts to meteor, i currently have 117 credit because i rarely spend anywhere near 20 a month
    Would it not make more sense not to top up for a while and actually use the credit you have, that would save you even more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Walkman wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense not to top up for a while and actually use the credit you have, that would save you even more money

I'm always gonna have that credit, i might use it if money gets tight but theres no point in me wasting it

I think its better to just keep topping up the 20 every month

Advertisement