Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any books on mossad?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

i read a good book about history of the cia to modern times, i d love something on mossad next, or maybe secret police forces if anyone knows good ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Benny Morris and Ian Black's Israel's Secret Wars is good stuff and Dan Raviv and Yossi Melman's Every Spy a Prince isn't bad either.

I suppose the main problem with both books is the same problem with any book about an intelligence service: part of a spy's job is spreading misinformation so you can never know if what you're reading really happened or not. Both books are definitely worth a read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

'Gideons' spies' is quite good.

the above point is quite correct, the very last thing any intelligence or security service wants is its successes - or the reasons for its failures - splashed across the world.

information that the other guy knows you've got is pretty useless, he can change his plan to work around what you know - and if he knows what you know, he can make a shrewd guess as to how you know it, then he block or deceive your intelligence gathering methods in the future.

so while some of the books floating around may be interesting in themselves, you're not going to get any kind of 'full picture' from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

OS119 wrote: »
    'Gideons' spies' is quite good.

the above point is quite correct, the very last thing any intelligence or security service wants is its successes - or the reasons for its failures - splashed across the world.

information that the other guy knows you've got is pretty useless, he can change his plan to work around what you know - and if he knows what you know, he can make a shrewd guess as to how you know it, then he block or deceive your intelligence gathering methods in the future.

so while some of the books floating around may be interesting in themselves, you're not going to get any kind of 'full picture' from them.
    this is true, but if its stuff that happened 30 or 40 years ago its not so important to let all the details out now, cia book was very good at the detail in older stuff but not so much as year got near to the present day, very interesting about the time when jfk got shot, and why they didnt look into it to deeply,they more or less said that kennedys were trying to get castro killed,but castro got jfk 1st,and the americans didnt want it leaking out that they were trying to kill castro for quite a while,but again who knows, i think they like people have tonnes of theroies about what happened, the more theroies the bigger the smoke screen,any who thanks for info on them books when i finish reading about che guevara i ll be buying one of them books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

two books you might like to read are " By Way Of Decoption" & " The Other Side Of Deception" both by ex-Mossad agent Victor Ostrovsky. brilliant books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

I can't recommend the book,haven't read,but if you find yourself in Ranalegh there's a second hand bookshop beside the more fancy bookshop. They've a copy of "Israels Secret Service" for a euro. At least they did on Tuesday when I was there.

• Advertisement

I can't recommend the book,haven't read,but if you find yourself in Ranalegh there's a second hand bookshop beside the more fancy bookshop. They've a copy of "Israels Secret Service" for a euro. At least they did on Tuesday when I was there.
    thanks i ll try nip in when i m down that way with work

two books you might like to read are " By Way Of Decoption" & " The Other Side Of Deception" both by ex-Mossad agent Victor Ostrovsky. brilliant books.
    they both going on my xmas list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Selah_Nova

Auto-erotcism:a study of masturbation and neurosis by Wilhelm Stekel

_Selah.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WTF?

For the record, a moderator action has been taken.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Advertisement