Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning a trade, books used??

Options
  • 10-09-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering where i might get the books that apprentice plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc use to learn their trade.

Do Fás publish such books for the courses they run, or do they prescribe other books??

I do a bit of DIY but i just want to brush up on my knowledge....

Any help much appreciated,

J.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

If you go into nassau street there is a large bookshop there on the corner of dawson street and downstairs they have a good engineering section.
    You'll find the likes of plumbing by treolar and some good texts on electrical and indeed all the trades.

Be wary of internet titles as the standards vary across europe and the americans are strange altogether!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

previous post correct reads on nassau st do trealor books which is what apprentices use , well it was when i was serving my time . everything you need to know plus more in great detail

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

When I was in Fás (10 years ago) most of the books were supplied to us and published by Fás themselves, so they may be difficult to get on the general market. However there are some good downloadable books on trade subjects available from US army education sites.
    As other poster mentioned some of the american terms are a bit strange compared to what we use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭cjpm

Thanks guys, that's my plumbing reading sorted!

Anyone know what books electricians and carpenters use to give themselves a good understanding??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭cjpm

Anyone know where i might buy the following second hand:
    • National Rules for Electrical Installations (3rd or 4th Edition)
    • Code of Practice for the Design, Selection and Erection of Low Voltage Switchboards for Industrial/Commercial Applications
    • Code of Practice for the Design, Selection, and Erection of Low Voltage Switchboards for Residential Applications
    • Plumbing R.D. Treloar 3rd edition: Heating and Gas Installations (Paperback)

Times are tough at the moment :-(

Thanks

JP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Advertisement