Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples thoughts on ROI and NI football teams merging?!

• 10-09-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I was recently talking to a few British friends of mine about football and rugby and a question that popped up by one of them was

"Why don't the North and the Republic merge in football like they do in rugby?-it seems to work well there!"

My response was the obvious political answer-which this thread is not about. Neither side are dominant but are both on the verge of the World Cup(ROI more than NI after lst night) and surely if resources were pooled and we had that little bit more depth we could qualify, even automatically, on a much more regular basis. If the sides merged tomorrow I'd say only Johnny Evans would make the 11, but even that is a huge improvement, and also others would make the bench and offer more options.

Just wondering what peoples general opinion is on the matter!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Would certainly shake things up but I just dont see it happening in the foreseeable future, for the obvious reasons. I wonder if some people in Europe and elsewhere wonder why we need two soccer teams?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

briany wrote: »
    I wonder if some people in Europe and elsewhere wonder why we need two soccer teams?:P

probably only the same ones who still think czechoslovakia exists.

We're not the same country, therefore not much point in a shared team. If some sort of reunification were to occur then yeah, hunky dory, but till then it seems a bit pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I was recently talking to a few British friends of mine about football and rugby and a question that popped up by one of them was

"Why don't the North and the Republic merge in football like they do in rugby?-it seems to work well there!"

My response was the obvious political answer-which this thread is not about. Neither side are dominant but are both on the verge of the World Cup(ROI more than NI after lst night) and surely if resources were pooled and we had that little bit more depth we could qualify, even automatically, on a much more regular basis. If the sides merged tomorrow I'd say only Johnny Evans would make the 11, but even that is a huge improvement, and also others would make the bench and offer more options.

It has been discussed loads of times here.

It something that should never ever happen.

Firstly you have a sets of fans that would never get on in a million years, a lot of NI fans are Rangers fans, a lot of ROI fans are Celtic fans, there would be bloodshed on the streets of Dublin amongst the 'home' fans.

We would have to stand up a face some silly made up flag and listen to a stupid tune as an anthem all to appease a minority.

It may work in Rugby but taht is because Rugby is a toatally different sport witha totally different demographic.

It's a stupid idea that (hopefully) will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

It has been discussed loads of times here.

It something that should never ever happen.

Firstly you have a sets of fans that would never get on in a million years, a lot of NI fans are Rangers fans, a lot of ROI fans are Celtic fans, there would be bloodshed on the streets of Dublin amongst the 'home' fans.

We would have to stand up a face some silly made up flag and listen to a stupid tune as an anthem all to appease a minority.

It may work in Rugby but taht is because Rugby is a toatally different sport witha totally different demographic.

It's a stupid idea that (hopefully) will never happen.

Jaysus! Sad cases. You'd think it would be a lot of NI fans are Linfield fans, a lot of ROI fans are Shamrock Rovers fans but just shows what an inferiority complex this island has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Jaysus! Sad cases. You'd think it would be a lot of NI fans are Linfield fans, a lot of ROI fans are Shamrock Rovers fans but just shows what an inferiority complex this island has.

well definitely not Bohs fans anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Great idea. One that's been mooted before aswell.

As for fans killing each other on the streets of Dublin, i don't think that would happen. My experience of going to games is that hooligans only make up a minority of the support. Anyway aren't politics and sport supposed to be seperate?
    It's all upsides really, both sides would have immediately better teams, (as you'd pick the best from both obviously), increased expertise in terms of coaching etc, bigger pool of players.
    I know they're different countries but that doesn't hinder one rugby union, cricket team, GAA, basketball, etc.

Martin O'neill to manage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Merge the leagues first imo

I think George Best called for a united Ireland team shortly before he died. Besides the issues of the Anthem and flag, I fear they would have to build a new stadium that straddled the border! And even then i could imagine bitter planning arguments over what what percentage of the ground is on what side lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bluefinger wrote: »
    Great idea. One that's been mooted before aswell.

As for fans killing each other on the streets of Dublin, i don't think that would happen. My experience of going to games is that hooligans only make up a minority of the support. Anyway aren't politics and sport supposed to be seperate?
    It's all upsides really, both sides would have immediately better teams, (as you'd pick the best from both obviously), increased expertise in terms of coaching etc, bigger pool of players.
    I know they're different countries but that doesn't hinder one rugby union, cricket team, GAA, basketball, etc.

Martin O'neill to manage.

supposed to be yeah, tell that to the people at the Munich Olympics and the people involved in the riots wearing Celtic and Rangers jerseys. Would like to see it happen but it's unfeasible imo. Look at what happened last time Ireland played England at Landsdowne. Long time ago now yes, but that type of thing is still an undercurrent in Irish society imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think you only have to look at the other thread about Northern Ireland on the first page of the soccer forum for an explanation as to why this will never happen

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    supposed to be yeah, tell that to the people at the Munich Olympics and the people involved in the riots wearing Celtic and Rangers jerseys. Would like to see it happen but it's unfeasible imo. Look at what happened last time Ireland played England at Landsdowne. Long time ago now yes, but that type of thing is still an undercurrent in Irish society imo.

I agree, but isn't Munich the exception rather than the norm? You're right about it perhaps being unfeasible at the minute but as another poster suggested merging the leagues first might be a step in the right direction.

carlop wrote: »
    I think you only have to look at the other thread about Northern Ireland on the first page of the soccer forum for an explanation as to why this will never happen

No worse than what i've heard leinster fans call munster fans and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

God save Amhrán na bhFiann :rolleyes:

or maybe mission impossible theme tune would be more apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This will never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

A lot of other countries have rival fans in their national followings. I don't think sports associations should have to pander to such small mindedness. If anything, it'd mean more idiots banned for life which I reckon would be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Liam O wrote: »
    Look at what happened last time Ireland played England at Landsdowne. Long time ago now yes, but that type of thing is still an undercurrent in Irish society imo.

If you are trying to say Irish fans had anything to do with the Lansdowne riots, then you are talking complete and utter nonsense. Sure there were chants from both sides, but the violence and destruction purely came from English scumbags, mainly (but not totally) of the neo nazi variety.

So that game has absolutely nothing to do with a merger or RoI and NI soccer teams as English scumbags won't be involved! Unless we happen to play them, in which case I'd hope our incompetent gardai might have some plan to deal with them this time, unlike the last time.

RoI+NI merger will not happen until political unficiation. For one thing none of the suits in the FAI or IFA would want to give up any of their power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No one has said it yet and it may sound incredibly snobby but, despite NI's heroic campaigns over the last few years, I feel there is little they could add to our starting 11.

Evans I would slot in with Dunne but never would I have Healy before Keane or Doyle.

There are a few more that would improve the squad it has to be said.

Obviously I am looking at it from a purely footballing point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

noodler wrote: »
    No one has said it yet and it may sound incredibly snobby but, despite NI's heroic campaigns over the last few years, I feel there is little they could add to our starting 11.

Evans I would slot in with Dunne but never would I have Healy before Keane or Doyle.

There are a few more that would improve the squad it has to be said.

Obviously I am looking at it from a purely footballing point of view.

Kyle Lafferty aint bad either but yeah can't think of a player from the past 20 years or so who'd I'd covet for the Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

dogpile wrote: »
    Kyle Lafferty aint bad either but yeah can't think of a player from the past 20 years or so who'd I'd covet for the Republic

He is defo one I would like on the bench alright.

On a more general note, it would be a shame if only 11 of the 22 players who represented NI/ROI in qualifieres the other night got to play for their country - this way twice as many people get opportunities.

Kold wrote: »
    A lot of other countries have rival fans in their national followings. I don't think sports associations should have to pander to such small mindedness. If anything, it'd mean more idiots banned for life which I reckon would be a good thing.

No other country has rival fans in their national following that are physically separated from living next to each other by high walls

http://philchevalier.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/dscn0327.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

For one thing none of the suits in the FAI or IFA would want to give up any of their power!

That is probably the biggest hurdle to be honest.

the exact same reason why the UK can't enter a football team into the olympics, the various FAs egos get in the way (Although England have special dispensation for 2012 I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

yis are right, its mainly to do with merging the 2 associations that would cause the problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I agree the first steps to uniting behind one team, like the rugby (and thats done pretty damn well) is unite the club teams into 1 league. This would finally make soccer viable in ireland. As things stand the quality isn't high enough to get moderate fans to head to games. With a united league there would be more money, with the ultimate aim to be to keep young players here and have the older ones finish their careers here too.

With fans interacting on a constant basis things would become more normal. Of course there would be some extreme elements that come about because of the change but that would have to be expected with such a drastic move.

My starting 11 from players available to both teams right now.

Given

Dunne
    Evans

O'Shea
    McCartney

Andrews
    Davis

Duff
    Brunt

Keane
    Doyle

With Lafferty next choice striker. And Brunt would be just ahead of MaGeady

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Please god, no, never. *shuddering*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

To quote a famous Ulsterman

NO NO NO!

NO NO NO!

Yep I can't see it happening if guys like this have a say....

Rugby has since it was first played by Ireland been a 32 county game,because it was mainly played by protestants from all over Ireland at the time.

Im sure if there were separate teams and you tried to form an all Ireland team nowadays,you would have severe objections from both sides.

I dont see why it would be worth it,maybe 1 of their players would make the team,a bit similar to the rugby team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Firstly you have a sets of fans that would never get on in a million years, a lot of NI fans are Rangers fans, a lot of ROI fans are Celtic fans, there would be bloodshed on the streets of Dublin amongst the 'home' fans..

Do the Scottish Celtic and Ranger sfans kick lumps out of each other at Scotland games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As long as sectarianism and bigotry is alive and well in the North, it will never happen. Nor do i want it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Whatever about our fans accepting a united Ireland team, there's no way the shower up the North would ever, ever accept it.

NO NO NO!

Was it not 'Never, Never, Never'
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Do the Scottish Celtic and Ranger sfans kick lumps out of each other at Scotland games?

No they don't.

I am aware that there are sectarian tensions in Glasgow but not the the extent of NI, where they spent 30 odd years killing each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Whatever about our fans accepting a united Ireland team, there's no way the shower up the North would ever, ever accept it.

And why should they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Maybe we should just split the rugby team in two - would that not be more logical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Stekelly wrote: »

Nah...theyre all in the pub supporting England and Ireland! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

No, no ,no a thousand times.

We'd have to have a bastardised flag and some crappy anthem like in rugby. I'd like to see seperate teams in rugby as well btw.

There probably would'nt be much benefit to a merger anyway.

And as for an All-Ireland league----NO.

A short term solution to long term problems, it won't fix our league in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

One of the leagues would have to give up their European spots or the leagues would have to merge.

The FAI and IFA would never reach an agreement on who'd give up what and where the new association would be run from. The IFA would probably also try to say that the matches should be played in an old, degrading stadium up north instead of the brand new stadium being built where Lansdowne was just to spite the FAI.

It isn't going to happen. It's a good idea in principal, but not in practice unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hopefully the teams will merge, but not until we get the north back. If the Loyalists dont like supporting an Irish soccer team then they can go support Scotland/ England where their ancestors are from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Seeing as anyone from the North that wants to play for us can , We already have a de facto All Ireland team anyway

Advertisement