Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robomow / Robot Mowers... Got one?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I'm at a point where I'm considering purchasing a mower for a large lawn. I'm considering a ride-on/tractor mower. However, I've also been looking into the robo-mowers...the completely automatic ones.
    I'm looking to get feedback from anyone who actually has one of these. I've seen a few threads started on this subject, and they have lots of replies and opinions....All from people who do not have one! The replies cover interesting topics like, Are they more environmentally friendly than regular mowers? Is the owner lazy or not? Is the idea of a robot mower a step too far?.... All very valid questions.
    However, I'm only interested in the actual performance of the product.
    If you have one:
    What size lawn is it maintaining?
    How long to you have it, and what sort of price did you pay?
    Are there any issues with it?
    How does it cope with wet/damp grass?
    Anyone had to look at replacing batteries yet?...Cost?
    How do you find it from a safety point of view (with kids, pets)?
    How does it work with regular obstacles on the lawn..footballs, toys, etc?
    Does it leave any missed patches?
    If grass does get a little heavy, due to several rainy days...How does it cope with the heavier grass?
    Despite the security features.... Ever worry that it might disappear? Seriously!

Any feedback would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Almost bought one this summer.

What size lawn is it maintaining?
    It would have been over an acre.

How long to you have it, and what sort of price did you pay?
    Quote was €3300

Are there any issues with it?...

How does it cope with wet/damp grass?
    had 2 demos and coped with wet grass very well.

Anyone had to look at replacing batteries yet?...Cost?
    about €150-200. I also asked for breakdown of all other parts of the mowbot but never got it:rolleyes:

How do you find it from a safety point of view (with kids, pets)?
    This was a big worry of mine, I'm sure they would get used to it but I wouldn't let them out if it was working.

How does it work with regular obstacles on the lawn..footballs, toys, etc?
    Another major problem with them. Footballs etc would be no problem, but smaller/flatter toys like tennis racket or hurleys would damage the blade requiring a replacement at a cost of €25

Does it leave any missed patches?
    Another major worry. Would have loved a trial for six months, but due to install costs couldn't happen.

If grass does get a little heavy, due to several rainy days...How does it cope with the heavier grass?
    Would imagine no problem due to spiral cutting pattern for high grass

Despite the security features.... Ever worry that it might disappear? Seriously!
    No. Not if you get it installed by the supplier.

Other reasons I bought a Ride on:-

The lawn design is not complete, beds etc will be added so outline was not fully defined for a cable. Also the lawn was newly seeded and needed to thicken up before using a mowbot. I put the cable down under my drive to allow for future install., and I will revisit it when I get feedback from users in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Speaking of mowing lawns. I get a great laugh out of the number of people who invest significant sums of money on a great whopper of a ride on mower for their handy little lawn. Then they pay another great whopper of a fee to the local gym, to help keep back the belly :eek::eek:

Cudda have got plenty of exercise from cutting the lawn with a standard ole push along and saved all that money in the first place:p

Then they bend your ear on Saturday night in the pub, about the cost of living :confused::confused:

R

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andrew88

Don't do it!!

The dealer here quotes "running cost from E7/year" but......

Mine needed a wheel motor replaced. Fortunately under warranty. Now only 3 years old it needs another one - cost about E265.

But the dealer wants is serviced first, apparently this should be done once a season or every other season, cost E195.

This is more than the main dealer cost for my car! And service plus motor cost about half the price of a new machine.

My petrol mower (for parts the robot can't reach) cost E55 for service and new head gasket. Compared to running costs of robot I can pay someone to come and cut my lawn and still be quids in.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'm from a small town called Stepford, so...yes.. mine works fine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The quality of powered mower you could buy for the price of one of these 'gadgets' would scare you.

I honestly wouldn't see the point of a robot mower. How lazy would you have to be? If they are anything like the robot hoovers, then they would do in 2hrs what you'd do in 5mins yourself.

don't waste your time, and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

That was 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

redser7 wrote: »
    That was 2009

:o didn't notice that.

Blame Andrew88, it was him that started it all again!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

redser7 wrote: »
    That was 2009

This is the gardening forum, stuff is going to get dug up :)

Tho from 09 makes it look like a gravediggers forum :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I wonder did he buy it :)

Advertisement