Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shine back to the Coner stone ?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Went past it today and its now called the Corner Stone again i think , had Corner Stone blinds in the window and a banner outside said Bracken's Corner Stone.

Maybe they got ride of that restaurant and its back to the good old days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

The person who owns Solas also owns The Cornerstone aka Shine. He told me that it is shut for a few weeks. It always had the blinds of the Cornerstone when it was Shine. I will be glad if they bring back the Cornerstone, €3 pint of the month.:D:D:D Very good memories of the Cornerstone!!!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Shine was sold recently, so the Solas/Dorans empire no longer owns it. Not sure what will be the craic there once it reopens, but it is called the Cornerstone once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

not sure who it was, but someone told me last week or so that the "old" cornerstone is coming back, no restaurant upstairs etc. so I guess it's true then. Lets just hope €3 pint of the month is back too

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

It was better craic when it was "The Junction" - and it was packed every night - but thats going back a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

of course if it does come back i will fail another year hehe ten euro pitchers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I always thought it was odd that a student bar (whether it liked it or not) tried to get rid of the students and get in the work crowd. Always thought students would be a pretty solid customer base when it comes to selling booze and pub grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nerdnoc90

As a second year, I don't remember the Cornerstone,but I can tell you that I have never really had any desire to go into Shine, It just didn't seem like somewhere you could sit and have a laugh with friends after a hard days studying (cough):) I think we could be convinced with €3 pints tho!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommy d

The cornerstone has been taken over by publican ciaran bracken and french master chef olivier quenet, and between them they have a pretty impresive portfolio of restaurants and pubs. i used to work for these guys , dead sound, and they know what they'r doin. they're turning the cornerstone into a gastro pub [ food pub ] targeting office heads for lunch and dinner.
    its not gonna be a student bar anymore and its gonna be over 20's. i have it on good authority that when it was a student bar, it didnt make money, it lost money, big time!!!!
    not to worry tho, we'v got a new haunt. 'Feile' its only across the road and they've E5 cocktails all day:P sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Jesus, all the people in this thread complaining about the corner stone not being a student pub any more. Whelans and The Palace is less than 100m up the road and are much better pubs. Also, Flannery's!

God I hate Flannerys. Always way too packed and not a huuuge fan of the clientele

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Im partial to the classic Orish look myself, Ryans or Devitts will sort ya out. Sure all you need is a tap...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the cornerstone was always ****e, and it had nothing to do with shine taking over.

it's layout is way to segregated and those couches, talk about almost having to bear going outside with smokers for the health of your back.

as other said there are way better bars on camden/wexford/aungier/georges street open your eyes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tommy d wrote: »
    The cornerstone has been taken over by publican ciaran bracken and french master chef olivier quenet, and between them they have a pretty impresive portfolio of restaurants and pubs. i used to work for these guys , dead sound, and they know what they'r doin. they're turning the cornerstone into a gastro pub [ food pub ] targeting office heads for lunch and dinner.
    its not gonna be a student bar anymore and its gonna be over 20's. i have it on good authority that when it was a student bar, it didnt make money, it lost money, big time!!!!
    not to worry tho, we'v got a new haunt. 'Feile' its only across the road and they've E5 cocktails all day:P sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt it will make that much money with this venture either tbh lol, place was always a kip, but had cheap pints at reasonable prices when I was in first year, a grand spot for students, can't see them suddenly getting another kind of clientel to profit from any time soon in these times, :rolleyes:

Nick

Sir Molle wrote: »
    Jesus, all the people in this thread complaining about the corner stone not being a student pub any more. Whelans and The Palace is less than 100m up the road and are much better pubs. Also, Flannery's!

Meh, not a huge fan of whelans. its grand for gigs but it's like a cave in the middle of the day.
    But one of the big pulls of the cornerstone was the €3 pints, which afaik no closeby pub does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vorr1k

Yeah whelans feels like some big rape den or vampire hang out

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mcerc

Feile is the way forward i think to be honest. I was in there the other day for lunch and it was really nice and with 5€ cocktails on Friday it's a no brainer! Shine wouldn't let a guy in my class in the other day cause he was wearing runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nerdnoc90

Must say I agree with ^!
    Was in there last week, Great food, great drinks, great service, pretty cheap too... €4 cocktails before half 9 or something on Thursday and Friday! :) (oh and I recommend the pear + blue cheese salad!!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tommy d

yoyo wrote: »
    Doubt it will make that much money with this venture either tbh lol, place was always a kip, but had cheap pints at reasonable prices when I was in first year, a grand spot for students, can't see them suddenly getting another kind of clientel to profit from any time soon in these times, :rolleyes:

Nick

get over yourself. two business men take over a business that was unsuccessful and are changing it around and you reckon you kno better than them. dont under estimate these guys. they could buy that pub 100 times over , and any other pub they wanted.

Brackens Cornerstone are doing €3 pints all day today!!!

I've been in the place a few times since the change... never found any sort of a crowd, which is grand when there's a big group of ye but quite off putting most of the time. A few times I've gone in and it's just been the barman chatting to two people and I just got odd looks when I went to the bar. It has all the potential to be a great little spot, and I remember when it was always jammed some 4 or so years ago, but now it just seems dead in the water.

• Advertisement

I've been in the place a few times since the change... never found any sort of a crowd, which is grand when there's a big group of ye but quite off putting most of the time. A few times I've gone in and it's just been the barman chatting to two people and I just got odd looks when I went to the bar. It has all the potential to be a great little spot, and I remember when it was always jammed some 4 or so years ago, but now it just seems dead in the water.

Agreed, walked in there briefly about a month ago with a couple of mates and got the dirtiest look from the barman (and the place was absolutly dead, think there was one person there) so we walked straight back out. They seem to completely resent the students who actually used to give the place buissness. Was in feile after the end of term in december and it seemed like a nice enough place and atmosphere and i also saw a poster in dit advertising €3.50 pints monday - friday before 630. pints of bavaria are also always €3.50. seems like the best local place to kevin st.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Agreed, walked in there briefly about a month ago with a couple of mates and got the dirtiest look from the barman (and the place was absolutly dead, think there was one person there) so we walked straight back out. They seem to completely resent the students who actually used to give the place buissness. Was in feile after the end of term in december and it seemed like a nice enough place and atmosphere and i also saw a poster in dit advertising €3.50 pints monday - friday before 630. pints of bavaria are also always €3.50. seems like the best local place to kevin st.

I never understood this, it appears some french cusiner chef took over the place and is trying to make it into a false posh kind of place, The people who want this kind of snobbery don't go looking to eat on Camden St :rolleyes::rolleyes:, I'm sure if they brought back €3 pints (like back 4 years ago every month a beer @ €3 :) ) they might actually get business :rolleyes::rolleyes:, especially in this climate, I heard a bloke got refused entry on here juring the day for wearing runners, talk about idiocy on the pubs part

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ajxx

tommy d wrote: »
    get over yourself. two business men take over a business that was unsuccessful and are changing it around and you reckon you kno better than them. dont under estimate these guys. they could buy that pub 100 times over , and any other pub they wanted.

Seemingly it was successful, just not successful enough.
    They got tired of finding cans fo bavaria and naggins of cheap vodka behind seats and in the toilets.

And it was doing terribly for years.

However the new management seem to be doing great... A few friends are in Aungier St and the management in Brackens now seem much more ameniable to students including offering drink deals by arrangement.

I dunno about your sources, so maybe you know things that aren't obvious to your average joe student, but coming to the end of my Aungier St. days I can give my unbiased view...

Start of College - Place was always full, they did pitchers and really nice and affordable food aimed at students. Maybe you can hide a nagon but there's no way to bring in your own cajun chicken sandwich. The place was usually so full that we had to venture to Whelans.

Middle Years - Owner (maybe the owner changed, who knows) apparently went anti-student. Pitchers disappeared, good pub grub disappeared and along with them went the paying punters.

End of college - I've never seen the place full, even at busy periods, on more than a few occasions we've tried to go into the place but left after dirty looks. We now go to Whelans because at least they're friendly. Good to hear they're trying to encourage the students to come back, but unless they change the atmosphere and general unwelcoming vibe I doubt they're going to get many students. Also... it says "over 20s only" on the doors, doesn't sound very student friendly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

I didnt know the Cornerstone before it was Shine, but a group of us go in there every Friday and, well, we keep going back, that speaks for itself. The staff are really really lovely once you talk to them, the food, although really expensive, is amazing, and they give pretty big portions for the most part and drinks are averagely priced, which isnt too bad.

There tend to be more people coming in there later on in the evening, at least on Fridays, which may be why it's pretty empty when students go in there for their afternoon pints :P And they usually get alot of people in when they have events, which they do at least once a week afaik. One memorable evening they had a miller tap set up seperate from the bar and there were two reps showing people how to pull their own pints, which they could then take for free. Good times!

It's not really aimed at students, true, but they welcome them anyway. I even showed them my ID (I'm 19) and they didn't kick me out or anything, so I guess the over 20s policy isn't too strict. It's much nicer than when it was Shine last year, more comfortable seats and seating arrangements, much brighter, just a nicer atmosphere in general.

But I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea. Each to their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Is that guy Eddie still in charge? If so, I wont be back in a hurry.

No, Eddie isn't in charge of the place any more. The place is owned by a lad called Ciaran. They are doing a great lunch menu at the moment with soup and sandwich for €5 and the portions are always huge.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Peadar06 wrote: »
    No, Eddie isn't in charge of the place any more. The place is owned by a lad called Ciaran. They are doing a great lunch menu at the moment with soup and sandwich for €5 and the portions are always huge.

Peter

I'm putting you to the test, I'm gonna go in this week for that offer and a pint!!

Well it is €3 pints only on a Friday, but they are giving 20cent from each their sales this week to the earthquake disaster in Haiti.

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Peadar06 wrote: »

Peter

I'll give it another go so. Thanks.:D

Advertisement