Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding ducks/swans

Options
  • 10-09-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to put this.

I was wondering does anyone know what's good for feeding ducks and swans?

I know people usually give them white bread but i was looking to give them somethin that might be actually good for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HitmanSB07

i always give the ducks and swans out my back fish fingers and chips they seem to really love these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Do you know anyone with a horse or have one yourself, OP? Ducks and swans love rolled oats and they're very good for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't know that fish fingers and chips are really the best food for ducks/swans.
    00112984 - I didn't actually know what was best, rolled oats you say? Interesting to know thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

00112984 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone with a horse or have one yourself, OP? Ducks and swans love rolled oats and they're very good for them

I don't, Do you know where I could buy some large bags?

ntlbell wrote: »
    I don't, Do you know where I could buy some large bags?

If you have any farm store/co-op type thing near you that does cattle feed, they'll do big bags of rolled oats too. Have no idea how much it costs.

My parents have pet ducks on their farm and they get the oats in the local mills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

You could try oatibix or similar cerals - mixed grains - corn etc. Even really good multi grain breads etc.

Ntlbell, I was in a big petshop yesterday (was on my way up North and went to the Pet Warehouse near Sprucefield) and they had 7.5kg bags of food for ducks, swans and other waterfowl. If you have a big pet shop near you, might be worth looking in there.

Had a very quick glance at the ingredients and seemed mainly to be made of different cereals and grains with some oils and fats so sounds like Fayesy's suggestion of cereals would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Saw small bags of duck and swan food although wasn't cheap many people keep ducks as pets so I'd imagine a good quality duck feed would be fine.

I think cooked peas are ok (double check though) we usually feed bread but not fond of it because everyone gives them bread not sure if there's much in it for them really.
    Some of the larger farm shops prob. sell duck food.

Here's a site that says more about pet ducks to give you an idea of foods

Quote from site http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a3728-how-to-raise-a-duck-as-a-pet.html

"Mix the feed with cracked corn when the ducks are adults, especially in the winter. Cracked corn is easier for ducks to digest than whole corn.
    Bread, popcorn, and chips are not healthy for ducks. Consider them "junk food" for ducks.
    Ducks can also be fed chopped hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, bugs, garden snails, worms, night crawlers, mealworms, bloodworms, and floating coy food."

Advertisement