Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for choosing puppy!

Options
  • 10-09-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to purchase a Weimaraner puppy. I am going to go down and choose my puppy from the litter soon. Any advice on what to look for? How to choose?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

Hiya it would depend on what type of pup you would want, dominant and hyper and high energy or something lazy.

If a pup shirks and hides from you it is shy and anti social and may have problems later on. You need a puppy that if you make a sudden movement should step back but cometo you again. The puppies should all come to meet you. Dont take a pup because you feel sorry for it because it is shy. When we went to pick our pup he was the most outgoing and boisterous and led the other pups in attacking a plastic bag. He caused problems by being stubborn and hyper and is very independent minded and high energy (ruining the garden,the tv wire is stretched to the max) but on the other hand he isnt clingy, is happy to do his own thing and doesnt bark when left alone and is really friendly to everyone. when we took him home he didnt even cry his first night away and had his collar chewed in two minutes! Think about what you want out of your pup and what you ideally hope for and ask the breeder for advice and when you see the puppy you want (you just know really!) ask to take him into a different room to see how he interacts on his own with people. Dont forget to get an agreement that you can return him after 48hours pending vet check.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Be sure to see the mother (and father where possible), preferably with the puppy. See where they are being housed, ensure it's clean etc. Ash the breeder about breed health problems - a reputable breeder will be open about these and won't say "none of mine have any problems", ask for vet certs to prove mam and dad are healthy. Make sure you are aware of all breed health problems before you go to see the pups (before you fall in love with one!).

Choosing a puppy is a difficult thing, have a look at how the interact with the other pups and how they interct with people. Generally, with the right upbringing (socalisation etc.) pups are quite moldable, but their personalities tend to be "decided" within the first few weeks. Bullyish pups will become very dominant, independent adults, whereas shy pups will become more introverted adults. It really does depend on what you want in a dog. Ask the breeder what personalities the pups have (if they are a good breeder, they should be able to help you with this) and if you choose one take it into a seperate room to see how it acts away from the it's mother and the rest of the litter - there can be d dramaitic change in a pup when it's out of it's comfort zone.Try (even though it's really, really hard) to be objective when checking them out and when you find one you like and think will suit your situation, then fall in love!

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I went to see the puppies the weekend. They are still tiny so I am going to wait another few weeks before I choose one.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

hi there! we picked up our lilttle weim bitch about 2 months ago - she is now 4 months old and a total nutter! we found it hard to choose from her litter of ten - but somehow we just knew she was the right one.

i was looking for a show dog so was kinda looking out for a show off in the litter. if you are looking for a pet i would not go for the one taking charge and annoying all the other pups in the litter, neither would i go for the shrinking violet, usually there will be one of each.

there is so little difference in a litter of this breed though so dont worry if you cant choose - just take the one you like!

a small word of warning, be carefull with your breeder. there is one crowd in wicklow who seem to breed each one of their bitches on a regular basis - ive seen their ads on that well known site several times in the last few months alone - after visiting them to view a litter early this year it seemed to me like they are just in it for the money. the big problem here being that the congential diseases are not screened for. ask about hip scores - if the dog and bitch have had their hips scored and i think from their reaction to this question you will easily see where their priorities are. (ps if you do get a score, the lower the better, single digits are best!)

good luck with the weim and would love to help with any advice based on our girl! pm me if needed!

Advertisement