Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy colleague

Options
  • 10-09-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Me and another girl work in the office, doing the same type of work.

Now I'm in charge of the "busy" building, while she deals with mails that come in from a considerablt less busy building.

I would deal with about 70/80 mails a day, compared to her 10/20.

I work full-time, she part-time. It's starting to piss me off how unbelievably lazy she is though. She spends most of her day gabbing on the phone or surfing the net - I often forward her stuff for her to deal with as my side can get hectic - today she sent me one back saying she was too busy to deal with it - minutes later I look around and there she is on the net AGAIN - yep, so busy!

Also, if I leave early, she is expected to keep an eye on my inbox - I had a dental appt earlier in the week, and left early, next morning I came back I had about 20 mails, from the time I had left - she hadn't touched a thing!

Now I'm going on hols for 2 weeks and I'm worried about the state of my inbox when I come back - I do have an Out of Office stating to contact her, but still...

How can I address this issue?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

talk to your manager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First of all be very careful to what you tell your boss; from what you say it could be a niece/daughter/etc. of some one in power higher up.

Secondly how is she expected to cover your full time job on her part time position? Even I can say with out any other evidence that your inbox will be a mess.

Here is how I think things will play out; you go on holiday, a few important e-mails will be slow/not actioned, some fuss is kicked about this and she will defend herself with that she's not aware/trained/access to do so and/or got to much to do. Net result is you'll have two+ weeks of catching up and clearing up to do from it.

My suggested route would be to ensure you have documented all relevant tasks, including having a "important people/e-mails/tasks" list done. Send this to her and put your boss in copy including the key instructions in the e-mail etc. to show that you done your part. After this speak with your boss that you still don't feel 100% comfortable with her following it and ask if he (sexist assumption) could keep an eye on it as well just in case.

This way the chance of you being blamed or a big fuss being kicked has been reduced.

Advertisement