Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Swallow

Options
  • 10-09-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Today theres dozens and dozens of swallows showing off some aerobatic skills,
    in my area,
    some flying so high to the point theyre out of sight, others at lower altitudes.

Ive never noticed so many flying around like this before.

Could this be a indicator that they will be migrating soon?

And can anyone recommend any good documentaries on the migration of the Swallow?

I think David Attenborough may have done one over a decade ago,that i wouldnt mind seeing again.

Any suggestions or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Loads around here aswel. Sitting on the line and flying about!! Just noticed it this morning and thought the same thing about them getting ready to migrate. There probably confused what time of year it is what wit the fine weather were having:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's normal for groups of fledged youngsters to flock together at this time of year. They settle on the wires around our house in groups of 50 to 60 late August/early September. They will certainly be heading away soon but we'll enjoy them for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Swallows and Martins will now soon depart. I've noticed a big build up in flocks of Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins (Swifts are gone now) over the last week no doubt preparing to head south. Here is an interesting doco on the rte website about Swallows. It's done by Eric Dempsey (It's the second doco on the page)

http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/documentaries/birds.html

I hope you can listen to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

read a nice book recently 'A single Swallow' about a guy following the migration. It's 50% about his travels though but a good read.

Advertisement