Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chechen Conflict

• 10-09-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Iolar wrote: »
    ambiguous position on the civilians,local enviroment etc

Bit of a loaded question no ?

Even disregarding chechnya for a second the russian military seems to still have major problems with morale & organisation, corruption and brutality etc So like a lot of things modern russia does there appears to be major room for improvement. Considering what they were facing their position and actions are understandable in my view. A lot of people forget that many things including the iraqi hostages being beheaded on video and put on the internet were learned in chechnya.

I would strongly recommend this book for a no-holds barred nitty gritty version from the point of view of a drafted soldier

http://www.amazon.com/One-Soldiers-War-Arkady-Babchenko/dp/0802118607

Some of the anecdotes relating to the animal barbarism of the chechen rebels would make your hair stand on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Just encouraging debate,i dont know if you seen the russian movie "Voyna" Война,it gave you an insight of what was going on there aswell

Yep I know it well, it's called 'War' in english. That lead actor (the commando prisoner not the one who escapes and returns) was one of my favourite russian actors was also in Brat & Brat II (Brother) he died in an avalanche along with an entire film crew not long after that movie came out. I think it's a pretty good movie overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Whats your views on how the Russian army dealt with the insurgency?and of the Russian governments ambiguous position on the civilians,local enviroment etc

it proved that the 'all-powerful Red Army' was long dead, that the RA had catastrophic problems with command and control, intelligence, morale, leadership and training. it also proved that if you throw enough force at something you'll win.

Advertisement