Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX 360 and external HD ( to watch HI-DEF videos )

• 10-09-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

I have a external Hard Disk 500GB full of movies from my DVD collection ( all was good in SD resolution ), now I have few blu-ray movies most bigger then 8GB
    So I wont be able to copy to my external Hard Disk, because if formatted in FAT32, any one knows how to make a external Hard Disk be able to hold bigger files then 4GB and still be able to be seen on the Xbox ?
    PS: 1 (NTFS doesn't work)
    2 Streaming don’t because I have only laptops at home all wireless ( so Xbox put the quality down )

I believe I'm not the only one :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

If these are .mkv files the xbox won't play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pires

I know that wont play MKV, my problem its not with the file and where to store the files, as XBOX doesnt read NTFS

pires wrote: »
    I know that wont play MKV, my problem its not with the file and where to store the files, as XBOX doesnt read NTFS

Well there's no way around the xbox not reading NTFS and the FAT32 file size limit. What you could do is directly connect the xbox to your laptop via a Ethernet cable and that would allow you enough bandwidth to stream the HD movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Or alternatively this:

www.xtreamer.net

• Advertisement

or wait for this

I almost got one of those but then would be one stuff more to be on the TV set....

Must be a solution out there...

What about hfs+ did any one try ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

What about hfs+ did any one try ?

Yep, doesn't work either - FAT32 only :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

J-blk wrote: »
    Yep, doesn't work either - FAT32 only :(.

didn't try but according to this should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

docentore wrote: »

Unless you have HD WMV files, you still won't be able to play them AFAIK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Jev/N wrote: »
    Unless you have HD WMV files, you still won't be able to play them AFAIK?

you will be able to play file formats supported by Xbox, so no mkv's. HD WMV should work

docentore wrote: »

That's odd - was it always supported? I have a Mac formatted HFS+ HDD lying around and tried it ages ago (pre-NXE I think), the Xbox refused to see it. If it was added in a subsequent update, maybe I should try it again, though with no .mkv support anyway, I don't see the point.

That's odd - was it always supported? I have a Mac formatted HFS+ HDD lying around and tried it ages ago (pre-NXE I think), the Xbox refused to see it. If it was added in a subsequent update, maybe I should try it again, though with no .mkv support anyway, I don't see the point.

If you could please try we would know if works, there is a software called Macdrive that would do the link from windows to HFS+

About MKV if you have any videos in this format you could convert to HD WMV

If you could please try we would know if works, there is a software called Macdrive that would do the link from windows to HFS+

Yep, I know about MacDrive but don't need it - I'm using a Mac to start with :). I'll try it out later and let you know.
    About MKV if you have any videos in this format you could convert to HD WMV

I hate transcoding though and can't be bothered with it. Native .mkv support would be nice but I'm realistic that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah, files over 4GB won't play. It's a problem but also FAT32 has a HUGE problem with files over 4GB. I'm guessing you have HD films in .mkv format?

Best option is to use GOTSent MKV converter. Click "safe sync" before choosing the mkv and check "split if over 4GB" as the option before you press convert. I'd also advise turning up the volume (in AC3 options) to the max before converting, since MKVs seem to have low volumes.

It converts your mkv file to a workable mp4. Xbox's(PS3's too) won't play 5.1 video file so it downmuxes (is that the right term?) to 2.1. And splits it into chunks if necessary. Couldn't be easier!

If you get problems, google the info box that comes up, should be able to fix that.

Nice one, we still waiting for the test with mac files ( i dont think xbox has a problems to play files bigger then 4GB but once the hard disk problem is solved we can check :)

But as you ask, I have HD WMV but I also have MKV

Any one knows a way to convert to MKV to HD WMV as they have 5.1 support like mkv ?

still waiting for the test with mac files

It's a Mac file format, not files :).

I'll be home in a couple of hours, so I can check then. It'll be really bizarre if it does now work with HFS+ but not NTFS... :confused:

Well Pires, I can confirm that HFS+ does indeed work (:eek:) :). I could see my drive and played some *.avi files off it - the only oddball thing is that it needed me to re-download an optional media playback update that I already had anyway...

Can't try any huge videos though - all my HD stuff is in *.mkv so it'd be a pain to convert. HFS+ does indeed work though so I don't see why you can't use it instead of FAT32, thus beating the file size limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Well Pires, I can confirm that HFS+ does indeed work (:eek:) :). I could see my drive and played some *.avi files off it - the only oddball thing is that it needed me to re-download an optional media playback update that I already had anyway...

Can't try any huge videos though - all my HD stuff is in *.mkv so it'd be a pain to convert. HFS+ does indeed work though so I don't see why you can't use it instead of FAT32, thus beating the file size limitations.

Why the xbox won't recognise NTFS seeing as it was developed by MS dosen't make much sense to me anyway?

Native MKV support would be excellent but I can see it happening anytime in the near future seeing as MS will be pimping the HD downloadable content

NICE one J-BLK,

Thanks for cheking the Hard disk for US, I already got the Macdrive, So I guess I will be formating my hard disk now for HFS+.

Now to be perfect we just need to find a tool to convert MKV in HD WMV, or any other format that xbox would play in HD and 5.1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Use this for all you MKV/xbox needs:

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

splits files larger than 4gigs to play on the xbox.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Hey This looks pretty easy to use,

Any one know another softwere to conver from MKV to HD WMV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hi Lads,

I have a external Hard Disk 500GB full of movies from my DVD collection ( all was good in SD resolution ), now I have few blu-ray movies most bigger then 8GB
    So I wont be able to copy to my external Hard Disk, because if formatted in FAT32, any one knows how to make a external Hard Disk be able to hold bigger files then 4GB and still be able to be seen on the Xbox ?
    PS: 1 (NTFS doesn't work)
    2 Streaming don’t because I have only laptops at home all wireless ( so Xbox put the quality down )

I believe I'm not the only one :)

What about HJ-Split?
    Hey This looks pretty easy to use,

Any one know another softwere to conver from MKV to HD WMV?

mkv2vob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I use mkv2vob but the files come out as .mpg....some of which don't work on Xbox 360. What transcoding codec do you use? I have it on MPEG-2; it's really fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I use mkv2vob but the files come out as .mpg....some of which don't work on Xbox 360. What transcoding codec do you use? I have it on MPEG-2; it's really fast.

I use it for my PS3 to be honest, I use MPEG-2 as far as I can remember and I think you can change the output file type in the settings.

Advertisement