Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali mayor: you don't want too many blacks in one area...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

All he did was warn against ghetto-isation not from clare myself but don't see the problem with what he said. It looks like a journalist trying to create something out of nothing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

I agree, look at the problems in parts of England

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didn't read the article, I know it's lazy, but look at him, he's not exactly a fine example of political excellence now is he? and as for the Independent and it's journalistic excellence.... But I would agree that it's not a good idea to shoe horn all of 1 type of person into an area because of race or creed.

Another question, if the article was "Ali mayor: you want too many blacks in one area..." would that be any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hawk Wing wrote: »
    I agree, look at the problems in parts of England

And France.

Integrated communities ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

I would not say he is a racist, just deliberately misrepresented by the author of the piece. Neylon makes a very good point, we need to integrate different communities or you'll have problems like in Bradford or Manchester

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Hawk Wing wrote: »
    I would not say he is a racist, just deliberately misrepresented by the author of the piece. Neylon makes a very good point, we need to integrate different communities or you'll have problems like in Bradford or Manchester

+1
    It's a journalist taking a cheap shot for a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Barney: I'm just saying that when we die there's going to be a planet for the French, a planet for the Chinese, and we'll all be a lot happier.
    Lisa: Mr. Gumble, you're upsetting me.
    Barney: No, I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bannerbhoy

Morlar wrote: »
    All he did was warn against ghetto-isation not from clare myself but don't see the problem with what he said. It looks like a journalist trying to create something out of nothing imo.
    My take on it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

But in the end what can be done?
    Tell people you can't live here, too many blacks already in this area?
    I understand his reasons for saying this, but in the end this is a free country and people can live wherever they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

I understand his reasons for saying this, but in the end this is a free country and people can live wherever they choose.

This is about the allocation of local authority housing, so the people are not choosing. The council need to look at how many of one ethnicity they allocate housing to together in one area. To prevent ghettoisation, like Bradford in England, the rondissements(sp?) in Paris etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

But that's exactly what Frankie Neylon wants - for the Council members to be able to dictate how many people of different races will be allowed to be allocated council houses in any particular area. So, he's advocating that it will not be your need/your place on the housing list alone, but your colour and your 'pull' with a council member that will determine whether you get a house. And to cover this racist agenda, he drags in the wholly implausible prospect of a 'ghetto' developing. Why does he think that people from different countries will glue together exclusively on the basis of similar skin colours? How racist is that? The people from the different African countries, and even from different regions of the same African countries, have very different cultures, as different as any of the cultures in any of the countries of Europe. The reality is that the children of the different races, including Irish, on the council estates in Ennis have bonded very very well.
    The real problem in local authority areas is the criminality and that is 99% as pasty white-faced as Frankie Neylon and myself. Let the Council members use their 'power' to tackle that and demand the Gardai tackle it, instead of bringing shame on the town by feeding into racist ideas and stirring up trouble where none exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Why did he focus completely on blacks? Is it okay for a load of Asians to live together or a load of Russian or Polish.

Very odd comments to make. He doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box. He meant to say 'Council housing policy should reflect the desire to integrate non-Irish nationals into the community'.

Instead he gets himself and Ennis some bad press in the Indo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Why is Clare County Council providing free accomodation for foreigners, subsidised by the Irish taxpayer?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

PaulieD wrote: »
    Why is Clare County Council providing free accomodation for foreigners, subsidised by the Irish taxpayer?:eek:
    This is the issue that needs to be looked at.

In these times of recession we cant afford to house the rejects of other countries social welfare systems

Max Power1 wrote: »
    This is the issue that needs to be looked at.

In these times of recession we cant afford to house the rejects of other countries social welfare systems

If anyone dares bring this issue up, they are called racist. Ireland is broke, we cannot afford to house to feed, house and clothe foreigners. We are a bankrupt nation.

Greenacres wrote: »
    This is about the allocation of local authority housing, so the people are not choosing. The council need to look at how many of one ethnicity they allocate housing to together in one area. To prevent ghettoisation, like Bradford in England, the rondissements(sp?) in Paris etc

Why should the Irish taxpayer house foreign nationals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

PaulieD wrote: »
    If anyone dares bring this issue up, they are called racist. Ireland is broke, we cannot afford to house to feed, house and clothe foreigners. We are a bankrupt nation.
    Exactly. When the foreigners money is cut in the budget they can play the race card. As a white Irish male - what is my minority group that i can use to my advantage?

Ireland for the irish.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ireland for the irish.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

During economic hard times irish men and women have taken to the sea and air in search of work,and also sent money home to help those that stayed .We were treated with respect where ever we went and did quiet well for ourselves.It is only right that we take our turn to welcome others here as we were welcomed abroad.What comes around goes around and now ,like it or not it's our turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Well, from reading the article, he was mainly commenting on six seperate families being housed in Clougleigh by the council.

I know he has made it about colour BUT there is a lot to be said for dispersing social housing among the broader community, be they black, traveller, settled, etc... It prevents a lot of the socio-economic issues associated with "ghettos" and helps to integrate people into our society.

Creating "ghettos", i.e. housing estates like Clancy park where the vast majority are social housing, just worsens the social issues in these areas and makes their population feel more alienated from society and less likely to become productive members of our society.

TBH about the article, the title says it all. Impartiality my a**. But then again what do you expect from that tabloid which tries to present itself as a broadsheet! Stop wasting money and time reading that rag - I stopped years ago!

• Advertisement

During economic hard times irish men and women have taken to the sea and air in search of work,and also sent money home to help those that stayed .We were treated with respect where ever we went and did quiet well for ourselves.It is only right that we take our turn to welcome others here as we were welcomed abroad.What comes around goes around and now ,like it or not it's our turn.

Really? News to me. Tell me where and when, Irish emigrants got social housing, child benefits, medical cards, 204 euro a week per adult in social welfare, back to school allowance, free education, college grants and other assorted benefits.

The places you speak of were new world countries, America, Australia, Canada etc. These countries were English and sparsely populated and much, much bigger than Ireland. You are not comparing like with like. Every european nation had people emigrate to the new world.

Ireland has a small population which has now drastically changed, for better or worse, only time will tell. 15-20% of our population is now foreign born. 20% of those on social welfare are foreign born. Just over 30% of those in reciept of rent allowance are foreign born. Over 33% of those imprisoned last year were foreign born. Nearly 90% of all new jobs last years, went to foreigners. We have done much more than our fair share, in fact, we are committing economic suicide.

Our turn, indeed. You want diversity, pay for it out of your own pocket. Me, I would much prefer my tax euro being spent on Irish people.

Advertisement