Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously - Will The Irish Public Please cop The Hell On!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

There needs to be more protests and clashes with the guards in this country for the Government to wake up.
    That would be counter productive, as anyone that gets involved in a street melee with the Garda will be written off as extremist (just look at the G8/G20 crowd). And they'd end up in a cell too, which isn't conducive to being able to further your argument over time

They (sic) Government should fear the people.

Incorrect. The government should serve the people.

Your agenda is a bit anarchist methinks.

skelliser wrote: »
    i opened a new thread highlighting saturdays no to nama march

Wow that was closed fast. God forbid if you'd want to advertise a protest against the biggest robbery of the Irish State to date, it would warrant being posted on the busiest forum on boards.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i opened a new thread highlighting saturdays no to nama march

which was promptly locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

which was promptly locked!

It was in the wrong forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

greyed wrote: »
    Not to get personal, but this is retarded, not to mention selfish. If you think not voting on the actual content and holding 500 million others ransom is the way to rectify our last mess of an exercise in democracy, then you are not politically responsible.
    I thought we already voted on this (lisbon) but our "democratic" vote was ignored as it was the wrong answer? The poster has a point as it reiterates the majority no vote from the last time and (probably) gets ff out as well which is what we're talking about here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

All things non-work related. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The point of my speaking up here is when or what does it take for the public to get their backsides finally into gear and motivated enough to get themselves out to the streets in protest!

Again seriously, what will it take? What will be for most the breaking point because by god, if I knew what it was, I'd wish it would come soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

if its put in the politics forum a lesser audience will see it plus the vast majority of posters there would be well aware of the protest anyway, so id just be wasting my time.
    AH is the best place for it. more will see it and go off and investigate a learn about nama and then make there minds up.

This is the most important decision this country has ever faced.

I think that THE little issue of irelands image and future economic solvency warrants a disscusion in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It's just the government - i think the press have a lot to answer for.

They should be reporting on the state of goverment paycuts and general corruptness of the system. Instead they prefer to write some headline news about some needless issue.

Someone needs to go after the goverment and make sure they are run in as transparent a fashion as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

I thought we already voted on this (lisbon) but our "democratic" vote was ignored as it was the wrong answer? The poster has a point as it reiterates the majority no vote from the last time and (probably) gets ff out as well which is what we're talking about here.

Nah, the mess I was referring to was voting FF in again when the writing was on the wall. We voted on lisbon with the aforementioned retarded motivations. In post referendum research, this was discovered to be the overwhelming majority of no voter sentiment. Redundant legal guarantees and a commissioner were added, having our fears allayed. Now we are asked to vote again on actual content to a modified version, not unreasonable. If people dont know how to use their vote (i.e. read what they are actually voting on) then they dont deserve one.

Hehh, ah, I sound like a dick :pac:

• Advertisement

Triangle wrote: »
    Someone needs to go after the goverment and make sure they are run in as transparent a fashion as possible.

Agreed, but this should extend to all services that are publicly funded.
    Many of the major issues we face have come about IMO due to lack of accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Secondly, I am one of the biggest critics of this government but they have actually increased the amount the health service gets from around 4 BILLION euro to close to 16 BILLION in just over a decade! 300% increase and it seems to have gotten worse.

Its just money thrown at the problem,all gone on wages ,nothing material to show for it.
    No infrastructure improvements ,no new technology,its all been squandered.
    The unions and consultants have it tied up in knots.
    Someone has to go in there and break it up and call their bluff and get that spending down to 10bn.
    The Govt are penny pinching while wasting pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So there's nothing to be said for a boards protest, we'll just keep moaning? Sound.

No infrastructure improvements

Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Whether or not you agree with it being money well spent is a different matter, but the infrastructure improvements of the last 10 years have been enormous.

ScumLord wrote: »
    So there's nothing to be said for a boards protest, we'll just keep moaning? Sound.

There's one on Saturday in case you missed the 10-15 posts on this thread about it.

Not boards specifically but I don't see why that has any bearing whatsoever on the issue at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Meanwhile in other news
    €600k FÁS advert was never broadcast....... http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0910/fas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Biggins wrote: »

Again seriously, what will it take? What will be for most the breaking point because by god, if I knew what it was, I'd wish it would come soon!

I think it will be the budget. they are going to slash everything. Until the general public feels it in their pocket they wont protest.

I completly agree with everything you posted earlier and its a disgrace that Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue is still in his post. Any other country and he would have been forced to step down!

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    There's one on Saturday in case you missed the 10-15 posts on this thread about it.

Not boards specifically but I don't see why that has any bearing whatsoever on the issue at hand.
    NAMA isn't enough, this government is doing everything wrong. As long as we're working within a banking economy where banking rules the roost and if you want to save that system then maybe nama is the best way to preserve that system. Ireland has problems across the board and boards.ie covers every aspect of Irish life. Boards has the power to get farmers, unionists, athletes, guards and just about every walk of life involved in a major protest.

I only heard about this protest on Saturday in this thread, granted I don't pay attention to the media any more but how likely is it that this protest has gathered any real momentum? Everyone needs to be on the streets of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lets just drop the bomb and start over tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The only way legally and morally that we can bring about change in this country is through the ballot box. We are better off keeping our heads down and waiting in the long grasses, ready to strike the next opportunity we get to vote. For some the next chance will be a general election for others it will be the Lisbon referendum. The most important thing each and every person can do is vote. So the next time there is an election and we vote in the next shower of b@stards with a 50% turnout I won't be placing the blame at the politicians or the people who voted for them, but the remaining 50% of people who did not even bother to get off their asses to vote. If you want change vote for it and if it doesn't happen then suck it up because thats democracy. Protests are all well and good but that energy should be used to get people out to vote on polling day because that is when it really counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Poccington wrote: »
    Well then what would you want them to do? Start causing mayhem?

All that's gonna get you is a crack of a baton and a headache the following morning.
    Hmm, that may be true - only the Gardai are affected by all this too and may join in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The only way legally and morally that we can bring about change in this country is through the ballot box. .

The frightening thing is that I have yet to hear anything concrete from the opposition with the exception of maybe Richard Bruton :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

In fairness, I'd say most of the Greens don't even like the Green party anymore.

I've heard talk about there being an election after the next budget, but it's hard to see the Greens jumping ship because it'll probably be too late for them at that stage anyway. They might as well hang on until 2012 and hope things get better.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The only way legally and morally that we can bring about change in this country is through the ballot box. We are better off keeping our heads down and waiting in the long grasses, ready to strike the next opportunity we get to vote. For some the next chance will be a general election for others it will be the Lisbon referendum. The most important thing each and every person can do is vote. So the next time there is an election and we vote in the next shower of b@stards with a 50% turnout I won't be placing the blame at the politicians or the people who voted for them, but the remaining 50% of people who did not even bother to get off their asses to vote. If you want change vote for it and if it doesn't happen then suck it up because thats democracy. Protests are all well and good but that energy should be used to get people out to vote on polling day because that is when it really counts.
    Sorry but I don't agree, people are out of work NOW, people are suffering NOW, people are even dyeing now. When it comes time to vote the other lot won't have been told, they won't have the motivation that our government would need to make the drastic changes needed. Voting is only half the battle the people who think they're in charge need a serious kick in the hole. They need to be told, we're in charge and all that matter is the public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The thing is that any combination of party could end up in govt, that is what I don't get about Ireland, no actual differences between each party, sure we had FF/Labour before, we could also have FG/Labour :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Will AH please Kop The Hell On! We are sick of political threads! Politics forum is that way> ! Whatever will we do?!

Elessar wrote: »
    Will AH please Kop The Hell On! We are sick of political threads! Politics forum is that way> ! Whatever will we do?!
    Is there anything to be said for saying another mass??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Elessar wrote: »

I'm sorry but politics effects everything that we mention on AH.
    The drugs, the cigs, the drink, the people, those leaving and coming, the health of all, etc.

IF you can't accept that politics is also an underlying source of concern and therefore can be also be mentioned in threads as they are discussed, you are precluding others from even speaking out before they open their mouths!

...And while the rest of us attempt to stick within the rules and guidelines as laid out by the mods, we still value the degree and latitude of free speech we are allowed in this section.

If you still don't like other aspects to be raised while a main topic is opened, I suggest you don't clink on it and enter it for crying out loud.
    Its not rocket science to work that one out!

To reiterate, this tread is about what it will take to motivate the public, to wake them up, to get a lot of them to kop on!
    Politics is a part reason for the complacency for the reason for the thread! Its just as entitled to be also mentioned as is other topical areas that the public is letting pass before their eyes with (too much) complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

vinylbomb wrote: »
    That would be counter productive, as anyone that gets involved in a street melee with the Garda will be written off as extremist (just look at the G8/G20 crowd). And they'd end up in a cell too, which isn't conducive to being able to further your argument over time

Incorrect. The government should serve the people.

Your agenda is a bit anarchist methinks.

Well if it's mass protests of the Irish people and clashes because people are refusing to move when exercising their right to protest i guess the Government would be branding almost the entire country as extremists.

Well the serving part is a given. I'm talking about the emotional state of how they conduct their job. They can do what they want because they know the people fear them enough not to do too much about it.

• Advertisement

Well if it's mass protests of the Irish people and clashes because people are refusing to move when exercising their right to protest i guess the Government would be branding almost the entire country as extremists.

You've mapped out a chain of events here, in which the first (street protest) hasn't occurred (and frankly looks a bit off yet). You then assume its going to lead to clashes & insurgence, because of some sort of pressure from the government to clamp down.
    Ireland is not filled with some sort of repressed underclass. Its filled with a bunch of moaners who wont get off their arses and vote.
    Well the serving part is a given. I'm talking about the emotional state of how they conduct their job. They can do what they want because they know the people fear them enough not to do too much about it.

You actually want someone to do their job in an state of fear?

I feel you would get more satisfaction protesting with the G8 buckos, the way they conduct themselves is more in line with what you are suggesting.

Advertisement