Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously - Will The Irish Public Please cop The Hell On!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

whycliff wrote: »
    Also with the weather we've been having recently, who would want to jump on their bike to go to work/college to be wet to the bone when they arrive?

If you want to cycle but it's the weather holding you back, then you need to toughen up. (not you particularly but people who use it as an excuse)

Sure it rains but not as often as you think.
    And it's generally mild, shorts and a jacket and it doesn't matter how wet you get as you'll be changing in work.
    Any cyclist or motorcylist could confirm that.

Back to the main point of thread, the HSE wastes its budget and lists of examples have been given in this thread
    Tbh, they should make do with the money they are allocated before more is pumped in, a full audit can be completed. Comprotoller General does this.

So the Dept of Transport managed their budget and has money for a project and now it's to be taken away? Sure what's the point in managing your department budget so

Let the HSE find the money, they get more funding they any other department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The only thing worse than a Fianna Fáil led government is a Fine Gael/Labour Coalition! An Taoiseach ENDA KENNY. No thanks. :(

That isn't the only alternative! Only if you vote for it to be that way. And I would rather Enda Kenny to Brian Cowen any day. What has Cowen done for any ordinary people since he became Taoiseach?? He looks put out when he's being interviewed on Primetime, Late Late, etc. Seriously, he doesn't enjoy communicating with the Irish people! That says it all about his leadership.

An Taoiseach: Eamon Gilmore
    Minister for Health: Anybody but Harney. Get her out.

Now there's something to be optimistic about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

The only thing worse than a Fianna Fáil led government is a Fine Gael/Labour Coalition! An Taoiseach ENDA KENNY. No thanks. :(

i agree that any alternative involving labour will be no addition as labour will not allow the cutting that needs to be done , if fine gael replace kenny , they will sew up the swing vote ( who are not convinced by enda ) and secure an overall majority

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

irish_bob wrote: »
    i agree that any alternative involving labour will be no addition as labour will not allow the cutting that needs to be done , if fine gael replace kenny , they will sew up the swing vote ( who are not convinced by enda ) and secure an overall majority
    Its off topic but yes, I have to agree, if Kenny was gone from the top spot and they had a more visible, more charismatic person leading them, there would be no stopping them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

They are off again to talk politics in some swanky hotel this weekend,why cant they do their talking in the office,its big enough.We are paying for the Weekend away,where will it end.Some local Gaa club would do grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

By the way who is paying for the add on TV re Lisbon Treaty!!!!

Why don't you like Enda Kenny? What issues do you disagree with?

holly1 wrote: »
    By the way who is paying for the add on TV re Lisbon Treaty!!!!

Thank you Holly for mentioning this.

But those who will question this are rare- most people can't see beyond FF, sadly. Sure it'll be passed- scare the **** out of people is FF's motto and you'll have them in your arsehole.

irish_bob wrote: »

And one year later Cowen has made the cuts eh? Give the opposition a chance...............what have you got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Here we go now. This is when people start discussing Irish politics like the ****ing X Factor.

I want the leader of the country, to lead the country, I couldn't give a flying foook if he was charismatic, funny, dynamic, hung like a donkey or great in the sack.

We had charismatic, charming Bertie and look where it got us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Biggins wrote: »
    Its off topic but yes, I have to agree, if Kenny was gone from the top spot and they had a more visible, more charismatic person leading them, there would be no stopping them.

The loss of one man would somehow bring about a viable opposition? One that has been missing for years at this point, and that no one really noticed or cared for when the goin was good.

Okay, I am being a bit harsh, but sad to say Irish politics is at somewhat of a nadir with FF screwing the pooch so badly and nothing resembling inspiration from the other partys. :(

I'm out of the loop, so I'm not going to get in to this too much, just to say that if you feel that we are going to see some improvement, momentum and change in Irish politics, Paddy Power will gladly give you the long odds for good reason.

That said, it's easy to be snarky about it all, so the real question is what do we do going forward, Might I suggest for starters that more sane rational people start putting their name forward for the job, because the egomaniacs, pious idealists and jackie healy raes have been lapping it up for so long we've forgotten what a good politician looks like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Huggles wrote: »
    I want the leader of the country, to lead the country, I couldn't give a flying foook if he was charismatic, funny, dynamic, hung like a donkey or great in the sack.

We had charismatic, charming Bertie and look where it got us.

Absolutely true. If a party can find by some miracle a good combination of the two aspects, they should be way ahead of any opposition.
    As it is (and I could be totally wrong) it appears to me that we have two/three floundering "head" people that are ever going around in circles with the public.

A new breakthrough is what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

Look up Machiavelli, and read his books, then you will have some big ideas about what we can do to sort out the government. :D I'm sure your all very tired of paying taxes, while the super rich pay none, while also owning just about everything at the same time, and expanding their mutiple businesses to every corner of the Isle, forcing independent family businesses to close forever. Surely the sheep can find something deep within themselves to better this piece of land for the future generations, and without having to bend the knee to Lisbon. Does Brian Cowen even know what this treaty means? I doubt it, he seems to be just following orders from E.U. conterparts across the water. Can a man who spends his time off downing 10 pints understand this treaty, surely it would take a highly-intelligent, non-drinker many many hours of careful studying to really know what....Amendment 5.a. to Amendment 36.c. to Article(Law) 469.1 really MEANS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

skelliser wrote: »
    red c poll today
    ff 24%

depressing or what
    this is what your up against, 1 in 4 will vote for them no matter what

This is so true. In the last local elections people openly bragged about voting FF. Now we're even more fukked. What do people want? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Tellox wrote: »
    You're very correct - and this is the problem with this country. Irish people are far, FAR too laid back. Could you imagine how this **** would go down in France? Absolute anarchy.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    in any other country, there would have been people taking to the streets, full on civil uproar.

One of the Brians (Cowen or Lenihan) said of Ireland a few months ago that we've got some great ability to take the pain in comparison to other countries. It was quite a cheeky statement but of course he knows how Fianna Fail have everything tied up and how dissent is kept at bay.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Boards beers protest. Seriously whats the user count on this site now? It would easily get press coverage if the Irish internet revolted.

In 2003 about 100,000 people protested in a march in Dublin against the invasion of Iraq. The war went ahead and Ireland subsequently took part in allowing the USA military use of Shannon airport. Earlier this year there was a threatened general strike and also a massive trade union march of about 100,000. The mass media and a lot of people on this site heavily criticised the strike and the march seemingly did not unseat the government.

I doubt boards has enough (active) members to even put together a protest march to warrant any publicity let alone enough to make a change. The user count is quite bloated considering how many duplicate accounts, banned accounts, spam accounts and defunct accounts there are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep we do bugger all. Seems to be part of the Irish psyche. The joke is everywhere else in the world we've ended up we're usually at the forefront manning the barricades. Just can't seem to do it here though. Can't see it changing.

I'm usually reluctant to generalise about a nation's psyche but in this case there might be some valid history to quote. We were under British rule for a hell of a long time and we fought amongst ourselves as much as we did with them. Then we were ruled by the church and now it's FF.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea and no. I cant stand FF and 99% of what they've done, but I don't put any faith in the rest of the shower. EG TD wages. Didn't see FG Lab or any of the other mainstream types downing tools and refusing pay rises. The odd one, but they're all much of a muchness. Parish pump politicians, usually teachers, accountants and the like, but "sure isn't he great lad boss".

Joe Higgins took an average industrial wage when he was elected and he's promised the same now as an MEP. People ridicule the guy and dismiss him as a Stalinist commie fighting for the rights of the "mothers of bastards" and the "tracksuit brigade". It is an indictment (at some level) of the country and the people as a whole when someone like him is brushed aside while the others take their 6 figure salaries and extremely generous expense packages .
    Triangle wrote: »
    It's just the government - i think the press have a lot to answer for.

They should be reporting on the state of goverment paycuts and general corruptness of the system. Instead they prefer to write some headline news about some needless issue.

Someone needs to go after the goverment and make sure they are run in as transparent a fashion as possible.

All the main media outlets more or less are in broad agreement that there can't be higher taxes on the wealthiest earners and that there needs to be cuts to social welfare, health and education and that everyone's wages should be cut (every normal average worker of course because we "need" the rich people). I don't think there's greater evidence of collusion between those who are supposedly running the country and those who have great access to the people through media.

People's opinion can undoubtedly be affected via selective reporting of issues to such end that the people's "consent" is created through some kind of subterfuge of general consensus. It might not work this time no matter how they try to spin it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    NAMA isn't enough, this government is doing everything wrong. As long as we're working within a banking economy where banking rules the roost and if you want to save that system then maybe nama is the best way to preserve that system. Ireland has problems across the board and boards.ie covers every aspect of Irish life. Boards has the power to get farmers, unionists, athletes, guards and just about every walk of life involved in a major protest.

I only heard about this protest on Saturday in this thread, granted I don't pay attention to the media any more but how likely is it that this protest has gathered any real momentum? Everyone needs to be on the streets of Dublin

You think boards can unite those kind of disparate groups of people ? Interesting statement but it'll be the Gardai tasked with keeping the farmers in line when they protest and I'd assume the athletes would welcome a cycle track :p
    Elessar wrote: »
    Will AH please Kop The Hell On! We are sick of political threads! Politics forum is that way> ! Whatever will we do?!

This is more than just politics. That's the problem Ireland's had for so long now. That everything is just relegated to the "politics corner" so that ye can get on with your lives.

Oh and it's "cop on".
    vinylbomb wrote: »
    You've mapped out a chain of events here, in which the first (street protest) hasn't occurred (and frankly looks a bit off yet). You then assume its going to lead to clashes & insurgence, because of some sort of pressure from the government to clamp down.
    Ireland is not filled with some sort of repressed underclass. Its filled with a bunch of moaners who wont get off their arses and vote.

You actually want someone to do their job in an state of fear?

I feel you would get more satisfaction protesting with the G8 buckos, the way they conduct themselves is more in line with what you are suggesting.

It's filled with a bunch of people effectively tricked into a false sense of apathy. Voter turnout is only at about 50%. There's a distinct reason why that is. If the other 50% voted there's a good chance FF may not get their numbers. Political apathy doesn't come about because people are lazy and they like to moan. Ireland has a culture of politics that doesn't involve people. We've no local governments and the politicians that get elected are powerless outside of their constituencies, that is, they'll have no impact on the country or how its run (unless they're part of the govt.) so they're basically relegated to glorified local councillors dealing with Mary and Harry's planning permission and fast tracking some passport applications.

One of capitalism's centre blocks is that people work in fear (more or less). Fear of losing their job, their money and their right to life. The initial of capitalism was that people's right to live a life in a society was dependant on what they could achieve on the markets. Many proponents of capitalism would gladly remove the dole in some vain attempt to incentivize more people into work.
    What exactly are we to do biggins? We could have a protest... yet I bet it would do absolutely nothing... I am all for change, getting these pr1cks out of power and putting somebody/party in power that is not interested in running the country into the ground to benifit himself and his horsey friends, or his mate that's ceo of a major bank, etc etc. The government will more than likely ignore the 1-2 thousand people who would march on the dail. They would basically laugh, then make up some legislation that would make it illegal.

France does a great job of making themselves heard... riot. A mass riot in dublin city, ransack the dail and make a hames of the place. I would like to see that ;)

If there's a riot or a protest turns violent then the Gardai and the riot squad will get overtime to sort the people out and maintain order.
    Piste wrote: »
    When enough people are affected. Really the best thing for this country would be if the government announced ridiculous schemes all at once...

You mean like the McCarthy report and the Commission on Taxation report ? :)

Don't need the unions, not exactly. We don't need their permission to protest. The unions are very much like the bankers imo.

You're wrong. The union leaders and heads may carry on like bankers but unions are not banks.

A union is a collection of people uniting together for a common purpose.
    A banker is one of a few people with great power over money and they run banks.

meglome wrote: »
    Just a thought but maybe we shouldn't vote for them. I wonder why we voted for many of them in the first place but we did. I think we should take a long hard look at ourselves.

No, we need to take a long look at the system in place, at the media, at the spin, at the lies and broken promises and at the choices. It's not fair to just say "we're a shower of **** worse than the politicians because we elect them". Fianna Fail since their formation have built a strong and broad base within the labour movement and have kept the rabble at bay through this mirage of social partnership.
    Biggins wrote: »
    My question to this forum is:

When the fcuk will the bony arsed, lazy, dumb sheep of this country start to see the morally corrupt shower that is running/ruining this country and when are we going to finally get rid of them!

That's not fair to say that it's the dumb sheep that are complicit here. People have been taught that it's this corrupt shower that are best tasked with running the show. That the other shower(s) would do a worse job and that average joe/jane sixpack has no business taking part in the decision making and he/she should get back to what they know best - drinking and f-cking.

Everyone's got their problems now but people need to organise themselves together rather than waiting for someone else to do something. Everyone's being targeted - public workers, private workers, parents, singles, couples, students. The whole lot. We gotta stop dividing ourselves (or rather stop letting them divide us) and get together and do something but saying that it's the lazy people in Ireland that are halting progress or social action isn't correct.

Sorry for the large post with multi quotes - it's late and I can't sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

monument wrote: »
    What about the future?

What about the general population?

Are we to drop all general health measures?

Getting more people cycling, and remember this cycle track will be of benefit to commuters and for exercise and recreation, has direct health benefits. Proven benefits for mental and physical health. Obesity is said to be one of our main, if not the main health problem for now and it's growing. The general health benefits of being even a bit more active are clear.

And getting more people ....

Cycling to where?!!! People are getting laid off left right and centre. Come on man!

I appreciate the general idea of all of this but it's just not needed right now. This is supposed to be a time of crisis with no amount of expenditure being safe from a cut. These cycle lanes just are not important right now and these benefits (if any) won't be seen for decades.

monument wrote: »
    You seem to have just made your argument into Dublin vs everywhere.

What do not see is that this -- along with other things which are being done to promote cycling -- will make a REAL difference.

Obesity is a REAL problem.

Transport is a REAL problem.

Noise from motor traffic is a REAL problem.

Air pollution from motor traffic is a REAL problem.

Sorry but if I was living in West Cork or North Mayo or wherever and I saw Dublin getting 10million on a cycle track while the rest of the country was decimated then I'd be very pissed off. I'm a Dubliner and could totally empathise with the anger expressed by people from elsewhere in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I don't think anybody on this thread would disagree that Crumlin etc. is a worthy cause, however I would agree with Monument that your anger is misplaced. The cycle lane is an efficient use of money which will provide a valuable service.

Bull****. No CBA has been done on the track so you have no clue whether or not it is an efficient use of money. Ten million so that dickheads like Eamonn Ryan can cycle from Ballsbridge inwards? It's costing more than an actual dual carriageway per km. In what way is that efficient, and in what way is that self-funded. Until cyclists start paying tax for road use, then f*ck off, because the **** that comes out of most 'greens' mouths is far worse than that that comes out of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This is the Irish public for you, who left FF off the hook in the last general election. Every opinion poll suggested that FF were on the slide but then Bertie Ahern came out and basically said "Look at your bank balances, that is down to FF, no-one else can handle the economy other than us (I love the irony of that last bit btw)." All of a sudden your average fickle ****ing idiot is saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and "I'd never vote for Enda Kenny, he has no experience and isn't up to the job." Fair enough you might say if there is a decent reason, however when pushed I usually got the answer of "Enda is just so boring!" That's the Irish for you, influenced by the charismatic politicians full of hot air. It's sickening to be honest.

The thing that depresses me most of all is that come 2012 and we have possibly gotten ourselves out of this shit storm, you just know that FF's tagline will be "We SAVED the economy!" And the Irish will fall for it too because as I said, they are a shower of fickle ****ing clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Why don't you like Enda Kenny? What issues do you disagree with?

What policies? How exactly do Fine Gael differ from Fianna Fail? The flaws in Fianna Fail's policies are clear to see because they've been in power for so long. Fine Gael's policies really are a mystery to me. They more or less tow the same line as Fianna Fail on every issue, but play the usual media games to make the silly Irish voter think otherwise.

In his time as leader of Fine Gael, Enda Kenny has done nothing in the interest of the Irish people. Personal/Political gain come first, the countries interests come second. Look at his reaction to abuse victims when he was confronted outside the Dail. Showed him up for the little weasel he is.
    Labour/Fine Gael are no better than those currently in power in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They're definitely not worse....hell bar FG/Labour declaring outright war on the EU and conscripting everybody in the land to fight them, it would be hard pushed to match FF's record of waste/corruption in the last decade and negative impact on the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lc21

Agreed totally,this goverment needs a telling to:mad:,there sickening turns my stomach, along with everything else now bringing in water charges,that water isn't even fit to drink
    !****ing dickheads !,but yet again we are all in here moaning about it,we Irish are all talk no action! So we need to start protesting and fast, be like the french the take nothing without a fight (what's wrong with Irish people ):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

lc21 wrote: »
    Agreed totally,this goverment needs a telling to:mad:,there sickening turns my stomach, along with everything else now bringing in water charges,that water isn't even fit to drink
    !****ing dickheads !,but yet again we are all in here moaning about it,we Irish are all talk no action! So we need to start protesting and fast, be like the french the take nothing without a fight (what's wrong with Irish people ):confused:

So fighting will solve our problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What policies? How exactly do Fine Gael differ from Fianna Fail? The flaws in Fianna Fail's policies are clear to see because they've been in power for so long. Fine Gael's policies really are a mystery to me. They more or less tow the same line as Fianna Fail on every issue, but play the usual media games to make the silly Irish voter think otherwise.

In his time as leader of Fine Gael, Enda Kenny has done nothing in the interest of the Irish people. Personal/Political gain come first, the countries interests come second. Look at his reaction to abuse victims when he was confronted outside the Dail. Showed him up for the little weasel he is.

This is the problem with the Irish electorate and if the above opinion from my learned friend is that of the majority then we will continue up sheet creek. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I hate the term "there's no real alternative".

Regardless of whether you assume the opposition will be no better, if the current parties in power are not doing the job / are wasteful / are incompetent / are fat, then you must replace them once the opportunity arises.

If those you replace them with have similar negative effect, then you turf them out at the first opportunity too. You repeat this process until you get a government who are efficient and get things done without wasting our money.

All who voted FF last time round are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Any chance this time around in 2012 we can actually stop these morons from voting...maybe telling them that's there's a special voting place especially for them ;) ie 20 miles from the nearest Poll booth..:pac:
    Shouldn't have a problem believing us..after all they fell for FF's lies and they were even more fcukin obvious.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lc21

Protesting not fighting,protests would show we people are not happpy about the changes these money grabbing pigs are making.
    What is your big idea, you want to sit back and except all this??
    I dont know about you, but alot of people are finding this time diffucult
    I dont think you can just do nothing, we have done that for years and look were that has got us.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I hate the term "there's no real alternative".

Regardless of whether you assume the opposition will be no better, if the current parties in power are not doing the job / are wasteful / are incompetent / are fat, then you must replace them once the opportunity arises.

If those you replace them with have similar negative effect, then you turf them out at the first opportunity too. You repeat this process until you get a government who are efficient and get things done without wasting our money.

Fair point.

lc21 wrote: »
    Protesting not fighting,protests would show we people are not happpy about the changes these money grabbing pigs are making.
    What is your big idea, you want to sit back and except all this??
    I dont know about you, but alot of people are finding this time diffucult
    I dont think you can just do nothing, we have done that for years and look were that has got us.

You do realise that the countries broke? Regardless of what parties are in power, cuts will be made and taxes will increase. Not defending FF's part in creating the situation, but it's a reality which we'll have to accept.

Ruu wrote: »
    This is the problem with the Irish electorate and if the above opinion from my learned friend is that of the majority then we will continue up sheet creek. :)

So I should support FG/Labour just to get FF out of power? Given a choice, I'd stick with what we've got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Fianna Fail is an institution like the GAA and the Catholic Church. Irish people will vote FF regardless. FF have never managed the economy well. The Celtic tiger was down to the property boom which is unique to only a few countries in the world not FF intervention.

There has been no regulations of the politicians Dev Haughey Bertie et al, never mind the banking sector.

Irish people are like zombie sheep would this happen in France or Germany?

Advertisement