Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Portrait, C&C

• 10-09-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

As ive mentioned a couple of times recently i started my Photography HND last week, one of the assignments we were immediately handed was the standard "self portrait".

Ive never been a hge fan of self portraits, and really dont enjoy being on the other side of the camera...so this has been hell for me.

Completely devoid of any overly original ideas, and dying with the flu, this is what ive came up with so far.

I guess im going to be relying on you lovely people a fair bit for feedback and critique before i go handing things in for the next couple of years...hope you dont mind!

39BC50BA92714959AB12D1C21B3E0E64-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

lol, you look like my hubbie, same hair and beard. I like the colouring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It's badly blown on the RHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

lol, you look like my hubbie, same hair and beard. I like the colouring.

Good lookin' chap is he? :p
    Ballyman wrote: »

That was deliberate, i pushed them even further when processing basically because the wall on that side is that horrible off white colour that you get in all rented flats!
    Plus i felt it brought the attention to my left hand shoulder, and over it, which is pretty much where i wanted it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Although I'm confused as to why you have what looks like a bad tattoo of a american confederate flag on your shoulder ? Or what is it meant to be ?

-edit- or is it a blueshirts flag ??!? Although that's apparently a red saltire on a blue background, not a white one ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Oh no!! An overexposed image!?!?!?! :pac:

I really like the overexposure, it works well with the image.

If I were to reshoot it, I'd drop the camera slightly lower, so it's at eye level with your reflection, and strain your posture slightly more to give a bit more definition in your back.

I quite like the natural lighting, but you could also try dropping in a reflector just underneath, resting (I guess) on your sink. It'll put a bit more light into the shadows, and give you catchlights in the eyes.

• Advertisement

Although I'm confused as to why you have what looks like a bad tattoo of a american confederate flag on your shoulder ? Or what is it meant to be ?

-edit- or is it a blueshirts flag ??!? Although that's apparently a red saltire on a blue background, not a white one ...

Its white (or at least the colour of my skin) from where i'm looking dude....exactly what its meant to be.

(Its not the best of tatoos your right...but thats part of the story) ;)

I thought it was a tricolour and a Scottish flag, with the processing throwing the colours off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I thought it was a tricolour and a Scottish flag, with the processing throwing the colours off?

Ah right. Although the tri-colour and the blueshirts flag with the accompanying republican sloganeering would have made for a more entertaining combination :rolleyes:

I really like the overexposure, it works well with the image.

If I were to reshoot it, I'd drop the camera slightly lower, so it's at eye level with your reflection, and strain your posture slightly more to give a bit more definition in your back.

I quite like the natural lighting, but you could also try dropping in a reflector just underneath, resting (I guess) on your sink. It'll put a bit more light into the shadows, and give you catchlights in the eyes.

I will be reshooting it, i just hope i get as much sunshine coming through the window tomorrow morning!

Ill give your suggestions a go..cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would have cropped at the tattoo to fix the wall issue
    Its very white

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    I would have cropped at the tattoo to fix the wall issue
    Its very white

Tried it, didnt like it.

I'm fairly happy with the over-exposure on that side to be honest. I may tone it down slightly when i reshoot but i like the edgier look that it gives.

One thing that has been hammered into us over the last couple of weeks has been to not be afraid of trying more creative exposures, and to be honest i agree....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Sorry for having an opinion.
    Eirebear wrote: »
    That was deliberate, i pushed them even further when processing basically because the wall on that side is that horrible off white colour that you get in all rented flats!
    Plus i felt it brought the attention to my left hand shoulder, and over it, which is pretty much where i wanted it to be.

So anyway, I don't like it, I'd prefer if there was some kind of outline on your shoulder. Blow out the wall all you want to hide the wall but I think it would look better if there was definition to your RHS.

It does bring more attention to your left shoulder alright but if there was some outline on the RHS not manage the same? The tatoos will draw the eye anyway and everything seems to be going on from the left to the middle of the image.

So anyway, I don't like it, I'd prefer if there was some kind of outline on your shoulder. Blow out the wall all you want to hide the wall but I think it would look better if there was definition to your RHS.

It does bring more attention to your left shoulder alright but if there was some outline on the RHS not manage the same? The tatoos will draw the eye anyway and everything seems to be going on from the left to the middle of the image.

Yep, i get where your coming from...ill be spending more time on it tomorrow so i'll see how it looks then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Try a few B&W conversions. It may just suit the overexposure.

A little bit of shoulder outline...
    A97F83A6B8BD441FB20A6DBE95C72980-500.jpg

B&W
    3ED97C79BBD141809F8E611608E4FFF3-500.jpg

Reshot today, sun wasnt as harsh...lined the sink with tinfoil as a reflector..slightly "cleaner" look...
    (Dont worry...this is the last time ill be posting pictures taken of me in the bathroom! :p)
    AA530B4DEFD0401095DF0DE405A986BA-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's an IRA tattoo.
    :)

It's an IRA tattoo.
    :)

Its not...although commonly misconstrued as one.

I'm an idealist rather than a millitant, and in the years since i got that tattoo have, whilst not regretting it as its part of me now, have questioned my judgement on it.

Thats kinda the point of the shot it think, living in Glasgow (and supporting the football team i do) i often feel as if im looking over my shoulder because of it...

Anyway..any preference in terms of the 4 shots?

I visited my Prod mate from Rathfern a staunch UDA estate with a tricolour tatt on me arm back in the day.....I lived to tell the tale :p!

#2 or #3
    You look like you are on the blanket protest in your cell, minus the shi.t ofc!

although I like the reflection of you in the mirror in #4, don't like the angle of #4 though.

• Advertisement

#2 or #3
    You look like you are on the blanket protest in your cell, minus the shi.t ofc!

although I like the reflection of you in the mirror in #4, don't like the angle of #4 though.

lol, i was absolutely dying to have a shower and wash my hair this morning...but i knew if i did that it would be all puffy and fluffy by the time i got to take the shot!

I prefer the angle of the first ones myself to be honest, but i cant seem to find it again! :o

I prefer the angle of the first ones myself to be honest, but i cant seem to find it again! :o

In comparision, so do I, but there's another angle to be had there - Do you have a longer lens? One that'll give less distortion? And room to use it!

In comparision, so do I, but there's another angle to be had there - Do you have a longer lens? One that'll give less distortion? And room to use it!

The room to use it is the problem...the camera is resting against the wall as it is in these shots.

What were you thinking?

I'd have to be there :pac:

See, the first one dosn't have as much distortion, which I think upsets the latter of them, but I reckon your expression in the first is better than the others, it's a bit more "I'm just not f*cking bothered", which I like.

I was thinking more if you lined up the straights of the mirror with the border of the image, it would line up the shot better. I also think there's a bit too much detail on the mirror shown in the last one too.

Hang on, I'll get the train up to Glasgow and show you :pac:

Thats kinda the point of the shot it think, living in Glasgow (and supporting the football team i do) i often feel as if im looking over my shoulder because of it...
    I visited my Prod mate from Rathfern a staunch UDA estate with a tricolour tatt on me arm back in the day.....I lived to tell the tale :p!

I don't have the tatt's, I just got "What football team d'you support?" when I was in Glasgow. :rolleyes:

I'd have to be there :pac:

See, the first one dosn't have as much distortion, which I think upsets the latter of them, but I reckon your expression in the first is better than the others, it's a bit more "I'm just not f*cking bothered", which I like.

I was thinking more if you lined up the straights of the mirror with the border of the image, it would line up the shot better. I also think there's a bit too much detail on the mirror shown in the last one too.

Hang on, I'll get the train up to Glasgow and show you :pac:

Cheers, ill meet you at central....:D

Ill give it another shot through the week, wednesday is my only chance to get the bathroom at that time before i need to hand it in! :pac:

Aint glasgow a lovely little city! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I prefer the first one you posted, to be honest. I like the exposure and the general whiteness of the picture, the way your shoulder is faded away into the wall. I think it's quite cool.

I think in the second one, the wall is a bit grey and I'm not mad about that. The b&w isn't bad but I love the colour of the mirror so I think it's a shame to lose that.

Aint glasgow a lovely little city! :o

I do like Glasgow Tbh

It's only a 5 hour train from here anyways... :pac:
    Novella wrote: »
    I think in the second one, the wall is a bit grey and I'm not mad about that. The b&w isn't bad but I love the colour of the mirror so I think it's a shame to lose that.

Bingo - The colours of the first make it imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

While I like the idea I must say none of them work for me. The main problem is that the shot is supposed to be a Portrait, so the main component should be the face. It's good to move away from the orthodox formal shot but you still need to have the attention on the face. In all these shots the face is quite dark & the eyes are not very visible. The attention is being drawn elsewhere. The tattoo is becoming much more prominent in the composition.

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't think a portrait has to be about a face, it has to be about a person (And this is where the OP's concept works well), I think it's the tattoo taking an almost 'center stage' presence in the original that I quite like about it, especially after being given the OP's reasons for getting the portrait done.

Advertisement