Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q: UK versus Ireland pricing.

Options
  • 10-09-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I'm interested in buying two vertical radiators from B&Q (even their Irish price is a lot cheaper than what competitors offer, but that's another story)

This is the radiator>

http://tinyurl.com/mpvfce

As you can see, it's Stg£220 in the UK.

In Liffey Valley, it's €401.

£220 is about €250. So, they're charging over 60% more for the same product in Liffey Valley. That is unbelievable!

Any way around this?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

go live in the uk

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Go to your nearest B&Q in the North. There is one in Newry. And ring them to ensure they have them in stock before you leave.

Head up to either the Belfast or Craigavon stores?

Edit: Or Newry!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland. Consumer Issues is not the place for discussing sterling / euro price differences.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dinarius wrote: »
    £220 is about €250. So, they're charging over 60% more for the same product in Liffey Valley. That is unbelievable!

(even their Irish price is a lot cheaper than what competitors offer, but that's another story)
    Is this thread taking the piss out of similar ones? seriously? WTF is so unbelievable?

It would be unbelievable it they did charge the same price when all the other local competitors are charging a lot more.

Perhaps we need a sticky thread with primary school economics in it, I know 6 year olds with a better grasp of how market supply & demand works than some people here. Maybe Barney the dinosaur could explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

rubadub wrote: »
    Is this thread taking the piss out of similar ones? seriously? WTF is so unbelievable?

It would be unbelievable it they did charge the same price when all the other local competitors are charging a lot more.

Perhaps we need a sticky thread with primary school economics in it, I know 6 year olds with a better grasp of how market supply & demand works than some people here. Maybe Barney the dinosaur could explain it.

rubadub
    it might be economics 101 but 60% plus difference is not fair, full stop.
    i dont get it, why do you feel the need to shoot down people that express their point of view? if there is something wrong with the post correct it but otherwise i reaaly dont see your point.

all the best.
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

nmesisca wrote: »
    rubadub
    it might be economics 101 but 60% plus difference is not fair, full stop.
    i dont get it, why do you feel the need to shoot down people that express their point of view? if there is something wrong with the post correct it but otherwise i reaaly dont see your point.

all the best.
    N

Indeed. You might expect better from a so called 'moderator'.

That said, in his defence I should have said that B&Q's price for their 'designer' range is cheaper than Irish equivalents.

D.

Ps. Might be of use to someone - been on to Quinn Radiator agents in Dublin (Chadwicks, Arcon and DPL) and prices for very nice rads are extremely competitive. Will almost certainly be buying from one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The price is £259 in the UK, but a current promotion is offering 15% off.

Judging by most B&Q prices, the Irish price should be about €330 as they seem to use a 1.3 multiplier for most items the stock. - Maybe this price just hasn't been changed?

btw - £225 would cost you about €265 at current retail bank rates.
    £259 would cost €305.

rubadub
    it might be economics 101 but 60% plus difference is not fair, full stop..
    Explain why it is not fair? standard reasonable, logical, business practise is not fair or what?

It would be an incredibly ignorant & foolish businessman that did not charge what the market will bear, and in this case they are cheaper.
    why do you feel the need to shoot down people that express their point of view?
    I object to the non stop singling out of UK companies. especially in this case where they are in fact admittedly "a lot cheaper", this should have been moved to "bargain alerts" not "rip-off Ireland". At least for once a poster admitted that the Irish stores were the same price, or in this case more expensive, which further confuses why it was posted in the first place.
    I am not a moderator of this forum. I honestly did think your post might have been a joke, since there was a pisstake post a while ago about boxer shorts which was also not OTT and many people took it to be a serious post. Especially the "thats another story" bit, which is the usual taboo sweeping under the carpet in so many threads in this forum, I thought it might have been a subtle dig at others who do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mod or not mod he's just a normal user in this forum as he doesn't mod it.
    The fact he's a mod in another forum (same as me) has nothing to do with what he chooses to post.

In fairness Dinarius you'd expect people to better understand basic economics and supply and demand, its not rocket science after all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 300ml

I go to Northern Ireland to shop frequently. The prices that we pay here, in the republic, are shocking. If you have to make a large purchase, it is worth your while taking a trip up there. Even taking into account a possible overnight stay at a hotel and the exchange rate, its still cheaper.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Was buying a toilet cistern replacement float valve in B&Q on Sunday €28. Didn't buy and bought same item in Ross's at Hanlons Corner for €19.80. So it pays to shop around.

Two blokes meet each other in Ardee.

1st bloke " Is there a B&Q in Balbriggan?"

2nd bloke "I don't know but there's 2 D's in Dundalk."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've nothing to say about the rest of the thread, but this...
    trad wrote: »
    1st bloke " Is there a B&Q in Balbriggan?"

2nd bloke "I don't know but there's 2 D's in Dundalk."
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

you can reserve products online on bq uk website for collection

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Who cares about economic lessons - buy it up north - only place I shop as I don't give the Irish retailers a cent if I can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shakakhan

dont people understand that the cost of doing business is alot higher in the republic than the north. we get paid more than our northern counterparts, insurance, utilities and transport costs are far higher for companies in Ireland, and it may not be major but the 6.5% difference in tax still needs to be taken into account. so when people make a comparison can we all please take these factors into account please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

About a year ago, my Mum bought a downlighter in a B&Q up in Belfast which had been reduced in price, and decided she didn't want it, and gave it to me to bring back to a B&Q in Dublin. Had the receipt, the B&Q store in Dublin accepted it back, and we ended up getting about €10 profit from something I think was about €25 in the store in Dublin.

Someone could make a nice profit buying a few rads up north and bringing them down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Aly9

Check out a site called dealhunter.ie They offer a great service for buying up North. I used them recently & saved a lot of money on a greenhouse from B&Q..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

shakakhan wrote: »
    dont people understand that the cost of doing business is alot higher in the republic than the north. we get paid more than our northern counterparts, insurance, utilities and transport costs are far higher for companies in Ireland, and it may not be major but the 6.5% difference in tax still needs to be taken into account. so when people make a comparison can we all please take these factors into account please.

And let's not forget the property prices here have led to massive rent / mortgage payments in comparison with the north for the same square foot size of store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I don't think businesses would take extra costs into account in dealing with their suppliers, why should ordinary consumers?
    If it is legal to go shop in the North for cheaper goods you'd be a fool not to.
    We are all the time lectured about the free market economy and competition etc. and then people are labelled as ~"traitor" if they shop where the goods are cheapest.
    The business establishment and government can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Jaga

Bought a complete bathroom suite in B&Q Newry for just under 70% less than Athlone branch........saleslady did not feel obliged to tut and mutter as her colleague in Athlone....delivery FREE because order value greater than GBP400.00.......Athlone branch quoted €50 for delivery just eighteen miles from where I live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I was in B&Q Tallaght today and this
    http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=77556 was €206. No special offer for Paddy.

doolox wrote: »
    I don't think businesses would take extra costs into account in dealing with their suppliers, why should ordinary consumers?
    You're completely missing the point. People are saying before shouting RIPOFF take the extra costs into account. In many cases the online sellers and northern shops could be making far higher margins.
    doolox wrote: »
    If it is legal to go shop in the North for cheaper goods you'd be a fool not to.
    I would say if the cost is cheaper "to GET the goods", then do so. Treking up to the north to buy 2 crates of beer or bag of toilet rolls is often a false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I would say if the cost is cheaper "to GET the goods", then do so. Treking up to the north to buy 2 crates of beer or bag of toilet rolls is often a false economy.

Thats a bit extreme:rolleyes: Is "treking" 1 hour up north a false economy when i can save over €200 in a days shopping??
    I study economics and i fully understand the free market and that's why i choose to go north every month and end up with a lot more in my pocket.
    Are YOU aware that economics is also about incentives??? People posting about "shocking" differences are enlightening us hence reducing our search costs ;)

collegemum wrote: »
    Thats a bit extreme:rolleyes: Is "treking" 1 hour up north a false economy when i can save over €200 in a days shopping??
    No it is not, did you miss the bit where I said
    I would say if the cost is cheaper "to GET the goods", then do so.

I am saying work it out. But many people do fool themselves about the amazing savings they made, this is what I warn about. e.g. a lad in work went up north and got beers he had never heard of before, they are rarely on offer here, even if you can find them. Now he is not particular about his beers, and will get whatever is going for €1 a bottle in the supermarket, and there are always €1 beers or cheaper nowadays. So he comes back paying maybe say 70cent a bottle up north, but finds it for €2.70 in an off licence. So he tells himself he saved €2 per bottle, but is deluding himself since he would not have paid over a euro here!
    People posting about "shocking" differences are enlightening us hence reducing our search costs
    There are 3 forums you might be interested in, where 90%+ of these threads belong.
    Bargain Alerts
    Northern Ireland Bargain Alerts
    Ranting & Raving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

bmaxi wrote: »
    I was in B&Q Tallaght today and this
    http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=77556 was €206. No special offer for Paddy.

Great deal for Paddy....B&Q Ireland does not necessarily follow the exact same promotional calendar as the UK...the product that you allude to is currently €61.80 in Irish stores only. £79.98 in UK today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michaeltp

I work in admin for a road haulage company we charge min 1K for every uk retailers truck who delivers to irish stores this is on top of ferry and higher pay charges in ireland expect things to cost more! the unions did a great job getting us all pay rises, end result everything more expensive and job losses unions are great !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Who cares about economic lessons - buy it up north - only place I shop as I don't give the Irish retailers a cent if I can help it.

What a nasty generalist statement. If business was so good and we're all making so much profit do you think that shopping centres, high sts and retail parks would be half empty with units closed down?

Most Irish retailers are hanging by a thread as they have cut costs to try and keep doors open and prices down only for the likes of yourself to turn your nose up and try and help your local economy.

Do not tar all Irish retailers with the same brush please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

What a nasty generalist statement. If business was so good and we're all making so much profit do you think that shopping centres, high sts and retail parks would be half empty with units closed down?

Most Irish retailers are hanging by a thread as they have cut costs to try and keep doors open and prices down only for the likes of yourself to turn your nose up and try and help your local economy.

Do not tar all Irish retailers with the same brush please.

Not enough Irish retailers are following your example I'm afraid.

The disparity in UK prices is still far too high to justify, even when higher operational costs are taken into account.

It really is just a matter of greed -- simple as that.

Shape up or ship out! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Not enough Irish retailers are following your example I'm afraid.

The disparity in UK prices is still far too high to justify, even when higher operational costs are taken into account.

It really is just a matter of greed -- simple as that.

Shape up or ship out! :mad:

you'll actually find it's British retailers that continue to have exhorbinant pricing in their Irish stores. e.g. Debenhams, Argos, Wallis, Monsoon, Homebase, Dune, to name just a few.

B&Q, Next, Halfords and some others have changed pricing dramitically are are at about 1.25 - 1.30 exchange, but in the case of Halfords & B & Q, your local motor factors / local hardware store (irish owned) will still beat them hands down even when comparing against their UK prices.

Advertisement