Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q: UK versus Ireland pricing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DIY mad

The answer to this is really simple so please pay no attanetion to rubadubs garbage ranting
    1) B&Q are ripping people of in the ROI as are the vast majority of irish companies and tradesmen
    2) B&Q products however are great so just go to Newry and pay proper prices as you would in the mainland UK

Thats it - happy DIY ing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DIY mad wrote: »
    no attanetion to rubadubs garbage ranting
    Which bits in particular did you think are rubbish? Are people to avoid this bit (posted for a third time)
    rubadub wrote: »
    I would say if the cost is cheaper "to GET the goods", then do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

DIY mad wrote: »
    The answer to this is really simple so please pay no attanetion to rubadubs garbage ranting
    1) B&Q are ripping people of in the ROI as are the vast majority of irish companies and tradesmen
    2) B&Q products however are great so just go to Newry and pay proper prices as you would in the mainland UK

Thats it - happy DIY ing

B&Q prices in Newry & mainland UK are close enough to their prices here. Its just that B&Q are quite expensive for many items any way (especially very small items) - whether its NI, UK or here.

A decent locally owned hardware stoire will nearly always be cheaper than the so called giants.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was shocked today in B&Q Limerick.

I walked in and they had piles of items for €1 - sockets, adaptors, cables ties, hacksaws etc.

They were all for €1 but were marked as £1 for our friends across the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

parsi wrote: »
    I was shocked today in B&Q Limerick.

I walked in and they had piles of items for €1 - sockets, adaptors, cables ties, hacksaws etc.

They were all for €1 but were marked as £1 for our friends across the border.

Saw that in liffey valley as well, got some handy bits from it as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Recently I went to B&Q in Waterford to purchase a TV wall mount. I had checked it on their website and it was £17.98. When I went into the store, it was priced at €52.75!!!!

After complaining I was told that it was incorrectly priced on the display but scanned at the correct price of €28 at the checkout - why you would still take it to the checkout after seeing it nearly double!

Even taking the sterling and VAT differntial the item was still over 33% dearer in the Irish store compared to the UK store. Now that's a rip off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Here's a classic example of a little shopping around

Headlamp bulb for jeep (one with black arm coming out)

Halfords Own Brand - €14.10

Soutside Motor Factors Hellas Brand - €7

Shop with your local Irish owned store and save 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes I agree, the assumption on the part of most punters that the big boys are cheaper than the local shops is played upon by the likes of Woodies, B & Q, Halfords etc., that's why they're so successful.

Most local shops which are family operated are usually paying no rent because they own the premises, they have relatively cheap labour in the form of family members behind the counter and therefore have much lower overheads than the multiples, they are definitely worth checking out every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Is this thread taking the piss out of similar ones? seriously? WTF is so unbelievable?

It would be unbelievable it they did charge the same price when all the other local competitors are charging a lot more.

Perhaps we need a sticky thread with primary school economics in it, I know 6 year olds with a better grasp of how market supply & demand works than some people here. Maybe Barney the dinosaur could explain it.

<SNIP> like you are the reason boards.ie has become and unapproachable forum. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vitamin C infracted for foul & abusive language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You're completely missing the point. People are saying before shouting RIPOFF take the extra costs into account. In many cases the online sellers and northern shops could be making far higher margins.
    The problem is we simply don't know margins, as the UK multiples won't publish ROI Figures. We've leaks though that do show UK multiples taking significantly higher margins in ROI compared to UK.

Advertisement