Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I reformat as much as I like?

• 10-09-2009 6:36pm

Quick question for you guys;

I've got my PC about a year and a half now. It's HP, Vista came pre-installed on it.

Just wondering, can I reformat this as much as I like without any hassle? It's starting to get a little sluggish (im sure i've dozens of programs I never use on it and what-not). I formatted it a few months ago, when it was being slow and it souped it up a bit, but I'm a bit worried that some time I'll format it and it'll tell me i need to install Vista or something equally unexpected that will cost me money for being stupid (it came with no installation discs whatsoever, so if anything like that did happen, I'd be screwed).

Or can I do it as often as I like with no worries?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Pain in the arse doing it all the time.

Create a system restore point

But yes you can...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Jaysus. Vista is a better operating system than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

KKV wrote: »
    Quick question for you guys;

I've got my PC about a year and a half now. It's HP, Vista came pre-installed on it.

Just wondering, can I reformat this as much as I like without any hassle? It's starting to get a little sluggish (im sure i've dozens of programs I never use on it and what-not). I formatted it a few months ago, when it was being slow and it souped it up a bit, but I'm a bit worried that some time I'll format it and it'll tell me i need to install Vista or something equally unexpected that will cost me money for being stupid (it came with no installation discs whatsoever, so if anything like that did happen, I'd be screwed).

Or can I do it as often as I like with no worries?

Cheers :)
    Reinstall Vista and install all the programs you need only. Then, when Vista is tweaked to how you like it, use Windows Backup and make a system image of your Hard Drive - this way, you can easily restore it (Windows 7 does it in about 15 minutes, all programs, settings and files intact). Saves a tonne of time - so does storing your files, pictures, images, music etc. on a seperate partition (not a removable HD, just a seperate partition). I have two drive in my 160GB - (C: ) Windows 7 at 40GB / (D: ) Multimedia at 120GB. Then map My Documents etc. to the D: drive instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

only if you do it hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of times, it MIGHT just start to affect the hard drive :P

other than that, go freakin nuts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

If you would rather save youself the trouble of constantly re-installing I would suggest tyring a program such as Ccleaner,. It will allow you to clean your registry and disable or remove startup program entries from your boot process.
    It will also clean all of your dead weight disc cache.
    It's available free from http://www.ccleaner.com/ and is widely regarded as a safe, no nonesense tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Physically there are few problems.

License wise there are no limits on activation as far as I know. even if you encounter a problem theres a 1800 number to call. But afaik you arent batting an eyelid with microsoft as long as your license is being activated on the same motherboard (which, it is). I reformat 3-4 times a year. Like chaning oil.

Advertisement