Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food

Options
  • 10-09-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm a student in Victoria Lodge, in Victoria Cross. I'm not familiar with Cork. What are the cheapest places to by food in the vicinity? Are there any lidls/aldis/tescos near?

Alos, anything else I need to know about anything at all? Any services I should avail of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm a student in Victoria Lodge, in Victoria Cross. I'm not familiar with Cork. What are the cheapest places to by food in the vicinity? Are there any lidls/aldis/tescos near?

Alos, anything else I need to know about anything at all? Any services I should avail of?

I reckon it's still hard to beat the English Market for value - access via the Grand Parade, Patrick's St. and Oliver Plunkett St. Nearest Tesco is Wilton and there's a Lidl in Togher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There's a Tesco Express opening at Dennehy's Cross soon. That is definitely going to be the closest, within walking distance.
    You could cycle over the Aldi on Tory Top Road, Ballyphehne near Musgrave Park too if that floats your boat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Lotsa butchers in the English Market will start doing the "student packs" again. I've found O'Sullivans to be the cheapest and nicest for the packs. You can get the likes of 4 burgers, 1 lb of minced beef, 1 pack of rashers, and 4 pork chops for a tenner.

The Chicken Inn and the place where the Chicken Inn used to be are also ridiculously cheap. 10 BBQ chicken wings for a euro!

I usually head in on a Tuesday morning (seems to be when the produce is at it's best all over the market imo) and buy whatever I need and freeze it. Superfruit in the English Market is pretty sweet too and usually has 2 or 3 "buy 5 for 2euro" offers on apples, oranges, nectarines etc

Steer clear of the Centra at Vic' Cross and the Daybreak, the mark up on their stuff is unreal! That new Tesco will be amaaaazeballs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You're like a 5/10 minute walk to tesco wilton I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Haru

Agreed for the english market. Lovely place where to buy some cool food. :)
    I usually go to Tesco if I need something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

mayordenis wrote: »
    You're like a 5/10 minute walk to tesco wilton I think.
    About a 5/10 minute bus ride tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 petercena

Agreed, Tesco is the best place and full fill all your requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

petercena wrote: »
    Agreed, Tesco is the best place and full fill all your requirements

I'd say they might have gotten something to eat by now, it being three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

This thread is older than me - closed off & put to bed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement