Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Maynooth - Yearly/Student Tickets

• 10-09-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

So anyway, all in the title, after two lovely years of living on campus, I'm ending up commuting from Dublin. However, our magnificent country's travel websites are woefully lacking in information :(
    So I'm begging asking for help from any other commuters that do the daily trip...what is the best deal, just buying student tickets each time, or buying a yearly ticket - chances are I'll end up making more than 10 trips a week (€88 a month with standard fares! :eek:)
    So any advice for me? Don't want to be broke when I could be smashed :P
    Edit Edit Edit - I would plan to mostly use the bus, but chances are some 9 o'clock mornings I would get the train! (but still bus overall)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

[illeagal]
    Ticket to the NUIM will be 2.65-350, depending on where you get on. Since they don't check tickets in the station here (like, ever ever) just buy the cheapest ticket you can to get you through the stile.
    [/illeagal]

If you're considering getting a year long ticket, then you absolutely must get insurance for it:D

Commuting is death, that's all I can say. Just awful. I actually saved money by moving out here because I was spending loadsa money on rolls, coffee etc. Not to mention hours of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

banquo wrote: »
    [illeagal]
    Ticket to the NUIM will be 2.65-350, depending on where you get on. Since they don't check tickets in the station here (like, ever ever) just buy the cheapest ticket you can to get you through the stile.
    [/illeagal]

If you're considering getting a year long ticket, then you absolutely must get insurance for it:D

Commuting is death, that's all I can say. Just awful. I actually saved money by moving out here because I was spending loadsa money on rolls, coffee etc. Not to mention hours of the day.
    I guess I'll have to consider resorting to a life of deceit and crime :pac:
    I don't really plan on commuting for the rest of my stay in Maynooth, just failed to get campus and parents have a now empty (parent gone to work abroad) house in Dublin, so wanted to save them some money!
    Any idea what the year ticket costs? Pity our stupid transport system hasn't gotten around to making a unified ticket thing for bus/rail like any decent european city :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Don't. Get. Me. Started. On. This. Half-ass. Country.

Anyway. I had a look around the various bus/rail sites. You're so right! A clear layout it ain't. www.studenttravelcard.ie is the best I can recommend atm I'm afraid, but I'll dig a little deeper and see what I can find you :)

EDIT: Ps. You can't just type ''www.dublinbus.ie'', you have to google for it and get there by link. ''Win''

banquo wrote: »
    Don't. Get. Me. Started. On. This. Half-ass. Country.

Anyway. I had a look around the various bus/rail sites. You're so right! A clear layout it ain't. www.studenttravelcard.ie is the best I can recommend atm I'm afraid, but I'll dig a little deeper and see what I can find you :)

EDIT: Ps. You can't just type ''www.dublinbus.ie'', you have to google for it and get there by link. ''Win''
    Yup, seen that problem with Dublin Bus before :pac:
    Might just resign myself to getting monthly ramblers =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Pay one way and say you got on at Broombridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Kazuma wrote: »
    Pity our stupid transport system hasn't gotten around to making a unified ticket thing for bus/rail like any decent european city :(

They do. It's currently €93 per month. I used it all of last year.

Edit:

Student Monthly Short Hop €93.00
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/

Time to whip out the calculator and see if it'll grant you a decent enough saving.

They do. It's currently €93 per month. I used it all of last year.

Edit:

Student Monthly Short Hop €93.00
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/

Time to whip out the calculator and see if it'll grant you a decent enough saving.
    Says for DART and Suburban trains! That mean any train down as "Railcar" on the site is suburban? Just that the only groups they're assigned to on Irish rail are InterCity and RailCar :(
    Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Liz86

Kazuma wrote: »
    Says for DART and Suburban trains! That mean any train down as "Railcar" on the site is suburban? Just that the only groups they're assigned to on Irish rail are InterCity and RailCar :(
    Thanks for the info!

hello, hope you dont mind me cutting in but does that mean that the student monthly short hop doesnt include the maynooth station?

Liz86 wrote: »
    hello, hope you dont mind me cutting in but does that mean that the student monthly short hop doesnt include the maynooth station?
    This is what I was asking Liz, very confusing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm starting a Masters in Maynooth in January and highly considering commuting from Dublin, possibly by car, is it really that bad??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

How long does the bus normally take in the morning? From Dublin city centre let's say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Don't worry, it does! Says on the back of the card it's valid for all Dublin Bus services (that doesn't include nitelinks or tour buses though), the DART, and suburban rail services to/from Balbriggan, Kilcoole, Maynooth, Hazelhatch and Cellbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Liz86

rjt wrote: »
    Don't worry, it does! Says on the back of the card it's valid for all Dublin Bus services (that doesn't include nitelinks or tour buses though), the DART, and suburban rail services to/from Balbriggan, Kilcoole, Maynooth, Hazelhatch and Cellbridge.

Thanks, can you buy this ticket from any station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kevwall

does anyone know if there is a bus that goes from castledermot, kildare ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Getting a return from Clonsilla 5 days a week on the train costs €21 per week. Not to mention spending 2 hours of your day commuting.
    What about cycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Thanks, can you buy this ticket from any station?

I'm not sure. You can definitely get them in Connolly, and last year I bought them in Tara Street and Pearse too. You can also get them in the Dublin Bus building in O'Connell Street (the tickets you get there are different to the ones you get in train stations though, in that they work in the new magnetic scanners on buses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I'm starting a Masters in Maynooth in January and highly considering commuting from Dublin, possibly by car, is it really that bad??

It won't be that bad, you'll be going against the traffic in the mornings and while coming home.

Advertisement