Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meds and their Side Effects

Options
  • 10-09-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Since I figured most people here would be on long term medication I was wondering if anyone suffers from side effects from their meds and how they cope?

I have epilepsy and am on Keppra to control my partial seizures, it does it's job but I've never been so sleepy in my life. I slept thirteen hours last night for no reason, apparently my alarm went off twice and my parents called me three times but I was more or less in a coma :rolleyes: It's not the worst as side effects go but it's damn annoying. Anyone else have similar tales?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Dude - christ - i hope that you relay this info back to the doctor who prescribed these pills to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

I do of course, but as he said that's life, it's a toss up between that or my seizures coming back. It's partially my own fault anyway, if I'm not strict about the times I take my meds the sleepyness gets worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

im epileptic too. refractry epilepsy so allergic or unreactive to most meds.
    Keppra doesnt cause me side affects but doesnt control my seizures so they just keep me on it, cause im not allergic to it.however,
    Lamictal caused a rash (that apparently starts from inside out so its pretty bad) Trileptal caused the same and that tiredness that you experienced.
    Topamax was the worst, it changed my seizure characteristics (im complex partial too) but suddenly i was collapsing, and doing erratic things like standing up in class and shouting during a seizure. also that drug made me incontintent durin seizures.
    tegratol and epillum were just unreactive with extreme tiredness.

good ending though, a new drug came on the market last yr and the docs told me it would be the last they would try me on and it worked, im seizure free a year now. the drug is Zonegran. causes slight depression tho, but its worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Well done on finding the right meds! I got my dose of Keppra upped last week and just when I thought I was getting used to it and all :rolleyes:

Advertisement