Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wee problem

Options
  • 10-09-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all ye might be able to help me, i have a male (un-neutered) small yorkshire terrier and he lifts his leg up on anything, its getting rather annoying now and i was wondering what i can do to help stop him doing this? He goes outside but still does it indoors, i know some will probably say marking his teritory.

Please help :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You need to be very very strict, give out to him when he goes inside, bring him outside.
    Praise him when he goes outside.
    what age is he?

I'm not sure if neutering reduces the marking the territory but it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Yes we do that, say "no" sternly. And as training when a lot younger same and lots of praise for outside business. He will be one in Nov so i know he is still a puppy. Maybe someone else can answer the territory bit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nope, he's not a puppie anymore and he's not marking his territory either ...he's taking the pi$$, quite literally (that is of course unless there are any medical reasons that would prevent him from holding it)

So ...exclude that he has a bladder infection or incontinence and then get stricter.

peasant wrote: »
    Nope, he's not a puppie anymore and he's not marking his territory either ...he's taking the pi$$, quite literally (that is of course unless there are any medical reasons that would prevent him from holding it)

So ...exclude that he has a bladder infection or incontinence and then get stricter.

He goes outside and still comes in and does it, what more else can i do?

What are you suggesting when you say "get stricter"?

Whatever you're doing now, he obviously isn't taking it seriously.

Have you got a safe back garden? If you do, what I would do is chuck him out. As soon as he starts making peeing preparations "NO!" and if he continues, grab him and swiftly and unceremoniously put him outside for 5-10 minutes and leave to simmer. Repeat until it sinks in.

EDIT: You of course stay inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I had a 3 month old puppy and had him house trained within two and a half weeks. You need to Catch him at it , tap him on the nose while saying no sternly and put him outside for a few minutes. He will quickly associate peeing indoors with a nose full of it and give you hints he wants to go outdoors.

You need to keep an eye on him. If he goes to the door and back to you he more than likely will want to go outside tor a pee.

Steve30x wrote: »
    You need to stick his nose in it

err no ..that's just cruel

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Fair enough. I was brought up thinking thats how to do it. But the dog will give you a subtle hint he needs to go wee. Until he learns outside is where he is to do it he will sniff the foor in circles kind of. Thats a sure sign hes about to go and you need to be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Does he tend to cock his leg in one or two particular areas or just everywhere? You can buy spray stuff to spray on your furniture to deter them or maybe a bit of lemon juice? But what the other poster said is right you have to catch him in the act and bring him outside. He'll finally get the hint after a while

Thanks for the replies well to some anyways lol!

Ziggy - he does it everywhere. For example today there was a box on the floor in a room he is not normally in and lifted his leg on it after being out, it can't be just going to the toilet. Does anyone out there for another suggestion for me?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement