Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prayer Book and War Medal

• 10-09-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey all,

I have a small prayer book which was owned by my great grandfather. He was involved in the Rising and was imprisoned with Eamon de Valera in England (I'm not sure which prison).

The book is signed by a few people, including de Valera and it is in quite good nick. (I've done a bit of research and yes, it is a legitimate signature)

Anyone know where I could get it valued?

I also have a War of Independence Medal owned by my other great grandfather. It's doesn't have a Comrac bar on it but is still in the presentation box. I would like to get that valued also.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Adam's auctioneers in Dublin have had a number of auctions in the last five years with rare 1916 memorabilia such as yours. I'd suggest you contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

worth a couple of thousand.
    and the prayer book probly more so.
    any chance of a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 nad25

I hope I have done this correctly!

Attached a few pictures for your viewing pleasure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Nice, thanks for posting! The medal is great with the original case. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Very nice! No harm getting a valuation now but it might be best to wait until the economy picks up before selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think holding off on the sale for a couple of years if at all possible would be a good idea.

If you had any original period photos of your great grandfather(s) they would also be of interest to collectors and increase the value of these items too.

PS if you can post up a clearer picture of the prayer book it might be possible to make out the other signatures.

That's a good idea! Come to think of it, there may be a photograph of my great grandfather who owned the prayer book around somewhere. I will have to enquire about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

nad25 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a small prayer book which was owned by my great grandfather. He was involved in the Rising and was imprisoned with Eamon de Valera in England (I'm not sure which prison).

The book is signed by a few people, including de Valera and it is in quite good nick. (I've done a bit of research and yes, it is a legitimate signature)

Anyone know where I could get it valued?

I also have a War of Independence Medal owned by my other great grandfather. It's doesn't have a Comrac bar on it but is still in the presentation box. I would like to get that valued also.

Any ideas?

sorry but i don't want to be a pain, or cause you any offence , but i would not part with either items if they were mine . the history and the family would be too much to part with.

sorry but i don't want to be a pain, or cause you any offence , but i would not part with either items if they were mine . the history and the family would be too much to part with.
    I understand exactly what you are saying here. I can honestly say that I probably won't ever part with them. However, it would be nice to know how much they are thought to be worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

nad25 wrote: »
    I understand exactly what you are saying here. I can honestly say that I probably won't ever part with them. However, it would be nice to know how much they are thought to be worth.
    I really would be getting those valued ASAP for insurance purposes.

• Advertisement

Correction ... spoke to my grandmother over the weekend ... my great grandfather was in Kilmainham Jail when the prayer book was signed - not England as I had already thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hello,

That is a fantastic grouping!

Just one question.... has the WOI medal ever been repaired?
    I have never seen one with the small ring at the top in that position unless it is the 'comrac' version. On the standard version, as yours is, the ring was soldered from front to back, so that the jump ring would not be twisted as it appears in your picture.

Would it be possible to see any closer pictures of this area both front and back?

danpatjoe wrote: »

Would it be possible to see any closer pictures of this area both front and back?

Ask and you shall receive!

I would never have even noticed that but yeah I think you are right.

Just had a look on a website and it does look like there has been a bit of soldering going on. Also the ribbon has been tied to the suspension although the website says that this would not have been the case.

One of a kind or what!?!?

Methinks my great granddaddy didn't look after his things!

Advertisement