Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody Keeps Ringing The House Phone- I Need A Gadget To ID Them!

Options
  • 10-09-2009 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there, some prankster keeps ringing the house phone.

I have decided to try and do something about it, and I was looking for basic introductory advice on taking measures to unmask the culprit.

I would be grateful for any suggestions vis a vis gear I could acquire to help me protect my privacy and unmask this individual{s}

Many thanks.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get caller display.

Also, if you really want to stop them, get a really loud noise on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Get caller display.

Also, if you really want to stop them, get a really loud noise on standby.

Okay, who i selling these Caller Displays? Maplin? Petes? Do I need to enter into some arrangement with the service provider to get it to work? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You could just get a new cordless phone with caller id built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Suppose somebody is ringing on a mobile with a blocked ID...will the Caller ID display still "unscramble" this for me?

If not, what gadget can I get for that?

Cheers.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

No it wont.

I dont think any device will??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Op, If it's really bothering you, you could try getting Eircom to issue you with a log of incoming calls. This may mean getting the cops involved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

IT Loser wrote: »
    Suppose somebody is ringing on a mobile with a blocked ID...will the Caller ID display still "unscramble" this for me?

If not, what gadget can I get for that?

Cheers.:cool:

I thought you said the house phone, meaning a land line. There is nothing to display a number withheld. The solution to that is what I do - number withheld and private number I never answer. If they want me they can leave a message and if I want to call them back I tell them my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I've the same policy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Is it possible to get a landline phone that can be set not to ring (or cuts straight to answer machine) when a call comes in from a witheld (and/or not on your speeddial list) number ?

BT will block calls from such numbers for a monthly fee but quite frankly I dont see why I should have to pay for a service that costs them practically nothing to provide :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

OP, sorry if this is stating the obvious .. (tis a speciality of mine :))

Is there not a number he can type into his phone that reads back the last caller's telephone number?

I know this won't be good for people who hide their number etc but sure nor will Caller IDs in those instances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement