Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Problem

Options
  • 10-09-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I live in the park and have one of those Glow Warm boilers, turned it on today and a red light started flashing and the lcd read 0.6? Anyone knows what this means?? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Its most likely a pressure problem.

This thread here will be of some help.

Not the same boiler but same idea.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420752

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Cheers Damo, thought it might be a pressure thing so i turned the black knob in the hotpress and nothing, didnt even hear water going into the tank. Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

you need 0.8bar for that boiler to fire. should be charged to 1-1.5bar. water obviously isnt getting into system, if there's a pressure reducing valve it may not be set correctly. leave the valve open for a while(30mins) to see does pressure increase. its defo a pressure problem tho.

Ah this is wrecking my head. Cheers CMSP, tried that but still nothing, any other way of increasing the pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Decks...post you boiler model number and also the control panel model number. At least then someone reading this might search for an answer to dig you out of a hole....just in case you are thinking you'll have no hot water in the morning...use the immersion...and for god's sake, do not turn it to 'bath' and leave it on when you go to work!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Its the glow Worm 18Si one, i know its a pressure problem but my black valve isnt doing its job! I turned it all the way and left it that way for 15 minutes and nothing, no sound of water, just silence! Cheers re the immersion but i need to get it fixed for winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

there should be 2 black knobs. There is in mine. I had to turn both to top up system. You should hear flushing noise. Doesn't take more than 10-15 secs to top it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Decks wrote: »
    Its the glow Worm 18Si one, i know its a pressure problem but my black valve isnt doing its job! I turned it all the way and left it that way for 15 minutes and nothing, no sound of water, just silence! Cheers re the immersion but i need to get it fixed for winter....

Had same problem after coming back to freezing house from Caribbean a while back. I just turned the black knob behind the boiler for about 5 - 10 seconds upstairs in press. It hissed and the pressure came back up downstairs. My wife was watching it downstairs while i turned the knob upstairs.

(Insert double entendre here) :p

Cheers guys. two black knobs? I only have one in my hot press but when i turn it nothing happens. where is the other knob? Im in a two bed apartment by the way...

Cheers guys. two black knobs? I only have one in my hot press but when i turn it nothing happens. where is the other knob? Im in a two bed apartment by the way...

Sorry i meant one. Ive just taken a pic of it upstairs in press.

dsc00813f.jpg

Just turn it in a couple of quick 2 second bursts then off again. Then check the pressure downstairs to see if its risen back up. Mine worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

The black knob with pressure gauge has a small adjuster screw in the middle of the knob. You will need to slightly loosen this screw, when it has been opened far enough you should hear water going into the system. Be very careful, only allow pressure to go to 1.5 bar

ciaran67 wrote: »
    ... turned the black knob...for about 5 - 10 seconds upstairs...My wife was watching it downstairs

Started laughing as I read the other posts lower down :D...and jaysus, whatever you do Decks, do not search google for two black knobs!

astrofluff wrote: »
    Started laughing as I read the other posts lower down :D...and jaysus, whatever you do Decks, do not search google for two black knobs!

...and a dodgy old boiler

cheers for all the help lads but think the boiler is fecked, loosened both the screw in the knob and the actual knob itself and no joy! The annoying thing is i know im going get some lad from board gais will swan in turn a different knob and everything will be fine, everything except my bank balance! What are all the red knobs for?

ok quick update. What eve i did it worked, i tuned a couple of the red knobs very slightly and loosened the turned the black knob and loosened the screw in the pressure gauge, however now the pressure is 1.6 and rising, not sure how to stop it. i think i tightened the screw in the gauge and the black knob but it keeps risings, can someone please tell me if i need to turn the screw clockwise or anti clockwise? ive shut the boiler off now but what happens if the pressure keeps rising? Please help!!

discovered tis morning that water is coming out the short overflow pipe outside, just below the gas tube. anyone know how i stop this?

cheers for all the help lads but think the boiler is fecked, loosened both the screw in the knob and the actual knob itself and no joy! The annoying thing is i know im going get some lad from board gais will swan in turn a different knob and everything will be fine, everything except my bank balance! What are all the red knobs for?

Dont know mate. Like i was saying i just turned the black one and the pressure came back up. Funny enough, i just looked and my boiler has a red flashing light and its down to 0.6. I'll be doing the same soon when i want the heating back on.

discovered tis morning that water is coming out the short overflow pipe outside, just below the gas tube. anyone know how i stop this?

Sounds like you have left the supply valve in the hot press open...not go for the boiler...I would suggest you try and turn whatever you touched clockwise. Be careful, you might be shutting off the water to the the rest of the house though...I think you need someone with knowledge to make a call to your house at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The reason water is coming out of this pipe is that the pressure is too high in your system now and the pressure relief valve (safety valve) has opened. Otherwise the pressure would cause a leak somewhere. You need to turn off the water supply to the system, try to retrace your steps in which valves your opened.

yup thats the safety valve as john said. when pressure gets to 2.5-3bar it opens. only thing now is it may not closed fully and get a little drip all the the time. if its the case the safety valve should be replaced. i always install a pressure reducing valve so the system cant be over pressurized. bit late now says you! did u get sorted anyway? when u stop the water entering the system u'll need to release some pressure down to 1.5bar ish.

• Advertisement

Yeah got it sorted, well kind of anymore. Pressure is back down and boiler is back working. However now the water pressure in the toilet taps is pretty much non existant?! any idea why? Im thinking there might be an air lock somewhere. Anyone any idea to unlock an air lock? CMSP??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Decks I'm thinking its time for a plumber. God knows how many valves have been opened or closed at this stage. There are some recommended guys in the handy numbers thread on the main index of the Greystones & Charlesland forum.

say people said you may have a valve half open. or if not airlock. is the hot or cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 walshyy

yup thats the safety valve as john said. when pressure gets to 2.5-3bar it opens. only thing now is it may not closed fully and get a little drip all the the time. if its the case the safety valve should be replaced. i always install a pressure reducing valve so the system cant be over pressurized. bit late now says you! did u get sorted anyway? when u stop the water entering the system u'll need to release some pressure down to 1.5bar ish.

Hi,I've got a similar problem. My bolier etc. works fine but I've got that "liitle drip" all the time that you mention above, there has never been a problem with the boiler but this drip thing has been going on for about 1yr, the pressure guage on the bolier is up at 3 so I understand I've gotta get it down to about 1? Any idea how I go about reducing the pressure please? ps. I've bled the radiator's and only one radiator had any air to release in it..this didn't reduce the pressure at all

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

walshyy wrote: »
    Hi,I've got a similar problem. My bolier etc. works fine but I've got that "liitle drip" all the time that you mention above, there has never been a problem with the boiler but this drip thing has been going on for about 1yr, the pressure guage on the bolier is up at 3 so I understand I've gotta get it down to about 1? Any idea how I go about reducing the pressure please? ps. I've bled the radiator's and only one radiator had any air to release in it..this didn't reduce the pressure at all

Turn off both the black valves in the first photo!!! (ie. turn the black knobs 90 deg to the pipes!)

You currently have both open and so are putting pressure into the system all the time. Hence the pressure is too high. You will need to release some pressure after you close the valves to bring it down to 1 bar (cold)

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Turn off both the black valves in the first photo!!! (ie. turn the black knobs 90 deg to the pipes!)

You currently have both open and so are putting pressure into the system all the time. Hence the pressure is too high. You will need to release some pressure after you close the valves to bring it down to 1 bar (cold)

Thanks MiniGolf, you could have save me getting in the BordGais crew, I've turned both of the black knob's to the right (90 degrees).
    Got 2 quick questions please.
    1) Do I leave the knob's turned to the right for good?
    2) How do I reduce the pressure?

Thanks MiniGolf, you could have save me getting in the BordGais crew, I've turned both of the black knob's to the right (90 degrees).
    Got 2 quick questions please.
    1) Do I leave the knob's turned to the right for good?
    2) How do I reduce the pressure?

First of all you do not need Bord Gais!! :mad:

Any Registered Gas Installer (RGII) is qualified to service/repair a gas appliance!! Rant over!! (Yes, I am a RGI!)

1) Yes, leave the black knobs turned to the right for good.... unless the pressure drops below 0.5 bar (cold). Then you open them until the pressure goes to just over 1 bar, then close them!!

2) This I won't tell you how I would do it as it involves working on the gas boiler, which as you are NOT an RGI would be illegal and possibly dangerous.
    You could "bleed" the pressure through the rads as if you were trying to remove air. i.e. you will remove water instead of air, hence reducing the pressure. A little time consuming and possibly messy (have a few rags to hand!!) but safe!!!!

Just have someone watch the pressure until it reduces to approx 1 bar and then stop!!

MiniGolf wrote: »
    First of all you do not need Bord Gais!! :mad:

Any Registered Gas Installer (RGII) is qualified to service/repair a gas appliance!! Rant over!! (Yes, I am a RGI!)

1) Yes, leave the black knobs turned to the right for good.... unless the pressure drops below 0.5 bar (cold). Then you open them until the pressure goes to just over 1 bar, then close them!!

2) This I won't tell you how I would do it as it involves working on the gas boiler, which as you are NOT an RGI would be illegal and possibly dangerous.
    You could "bleed" the pressure through the rads as if you were trying to remove air. i.e. you will remove water instead of air, hence reducing the pressure. A little time consuming and possibly messy (have a few rags to hand!!) but safe!!!!

Just have someone watch the pressure until it reduces to approx 1 bar and then stop!!

MiniGolf, it worked, brilliant!!!

I bled the radiatior's and the pressure's down to about 1 Bar..and as a result that dang dripping has finally stopped!

Really appreciate your help on this one as I didn't have a clue what to do!

MiniGolf, it worked, brilliant!!!

I bled the radiatior's and the pressure's down to about 1 Bar..and as a result that dang dripping has finally stopped!

Really appreciate your help on this one as I didn't have a clue what to do!

No problem!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement