Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On stats, the top 20 20th century clubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

never mind was seeing thing that wasnt there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

horsesh*t.

juve and barca above milan?

ajax and bayern above liverpool?

real and milan, 1 & 2, everyday of the week.

i don't care what stats they came up with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well this IFFHS has just proven itself to be a complete joke in my eyes... Villa in 70th while Birmingham come in at 43rd :confused:

21. Glasgow Celtic FC
    22. SK Rapid Wien
    23. BV Borussia Dortmund
    24. Glasgow Rangers FC
    25. Újpest FC
    26. 1. FC Köln
    27. Feyenoord Rotterdam
    28. FK Crvena zvezda
    29. FC do Porto
    30. Valencia CF
    31. Arsenal FC
    32. IFK Göteborg
    33. AC Fiorentina
    34. Olympique de Marseille
    35. Chelsea FC
    36. FK Austria Wien
    37. Real Zaragoza CD
    38. AC Parma
    39. Nottingham Forest FC
    40. Club Brugge KV
    41. PSV Eindhoven
    42. SK Slavia Praha Česká
    43. Birmingham City FC
    44. Eintracht Frankfurt
    45. FC Steaua Bucureşti
    46. AS de Monaco
    47. Sporting Clube de Portugal Lisboa
    48. SV Werder Bremen
    49. FC Spartak Moscow
    50. Paris Saint-Germain FC
    51. Sampdoria UC Genova
    52. FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    53. Bologna Calcio
    54. SS Lazio
    55. NK Dinamo Zagreb
    56.Stade de Reims
    57. Panathinaikos AO
    58. First Vienna FC

59. MTK Hungária FC
    60. CSKA Sofia
    61.Galatasaray SK
    62. R Standard Club de Liége
    63. Dundee United FC
    64. AC Torino
    65. FC Schalke 04
    66. VfB Stuttgart
    67. NK Hajduk Split
    68. KV Mechelen
    69. West Ham United FC
    70. Aston Villa

this list would be hilarious to pick apart in detail...

Forest 39th and Chelsea 35th?

Did I miss the time when Chelsea...

1) won the European Cup twice?

2) did anything of note in Europe in the 20th Century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Those rankings are a complete joke imo, why Inter are ahead of Liverpool is beyond me, Inter have 2 European Cups to Liverpool's 5 and 17 league title's to liverpool's 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Real are always going to win these things on account of winning 6 Euopean cups on the trot when it was just them and whoever they chose to play in the final.

dor83 wrote: »
    Those rankings are a complete joke imo, why Inter are ahead of Liverpool is beyond me, Inter have 2 European Cups to Liverpool's 5 and 17 league title's to liverpool's 18.

Only 4 of Liverpools were in the 20th century.

I'm going to guess Inter got further in europe on more occasions, without necessarily winning the competitions (Ihavnt checked on that though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

SlickRic wrote: »
    this list would be hilarious to pick apart in detail...

Forest 39th and Chelsea 35th?

Did I miss the time when Chelsea...

1) won the European Cup twice?

2) did anything of note in Europe in the 20th Century?

So, pick it apart in detail. Or did you read the detail.

I am no apologist for the IFFHS, but if you are going to challenge it/them then bring something more than indignation.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, pick it apart in detail. Or did you read the detail.

I am no apologist for the IFFHS, but if you are going to challenge it/them then bring something more than indignation.

if you mean by detail that they compile it through victories in European Competition from 1901 - 2000...well then yes of course I did.

and the results prove very little in reality.

just because i wasn't bothered doing it in detail doesn't mean i didn't refer to some of it's flaws.

for example...

milan not high enough.

liverpool behind the likes of munich and inter.

i know whatever stats they put together was meticulously done etc, and it came out with these conclusions; but to me, and many others, it seems a pointless list.

i mean, as BH mentioned, Birmingham ahead of Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Stekelly wrote: »
    Only 4 of Liverpools were in the 20th century.

I'm going to guess Inter got further in europe on more occasions, without necessarily winning the competitions (Ihavnt checked on that though)
    I forgot about only 4 being 20th century, but they still have a much better record than Inter in the European Cup. The only time Inter had success in Europe was in the 60's, we've only gotten to the final 4 times afaik in 64, 65, 67 and 72. I'm not saying Inter are a bad club, I'm an Inter supporter myself, but I just think Liverpool have a slightly better history than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ugh the IFFHS has terrible English.

My problem with these things is that they just miss the point of the competitions. It's winning the cups that matters - the glory and the medals - not the individual results. Well that's my view anyway.

..so yeah - meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

just because i wasn't bothered doing it in detail doesn't mean i didn't refer to some of it's flaws.

for example...

liverpool behind the likes of ... ajax

How is that a flaw? Ajax were a better European team and it's not like they're ranked way ahead, Ajax 7th Liverpool 8th.

European Cup/CL:

Ajax 4 European Cups v Liverpool 4 European Cups
    Ajax 2 runners-up v Liverpool 1 runners-up

UEFA Cup:

Ajax 1 UEFA Cup v Liverpool 2 UEFA Cups

UEFA Super Cup

Ajax 2 UEFA Super Cups v Liverpool 1 UEFA Super Cup
    Ajax 1 runners-up v Liverpool 0 runners-up

European Cup Winners' Cup

Ajax 1 ECWC v Liverpool 0 ECWC

Intercontinental Cup (Not sure if this is included)

Ajax 2 Intercontinental Cups v Liverpool 0 Intercontinental Cups

I make that, not including the Intercontinental Cup, 8 European trophey's for Ajax out of 12 European finals. (10 trophey's total)

This compares to Liverpool's 7 European trophey's from 8 European finals.

I know that this is only European competition but if you take Ajax's 27 domestic titles to Liverpool's 18 you'd probably have seen Ajax competing a lot more in Europe year-on-year.

Where's the flaw in Ajax being ranked a place higher than Liverpool?

(Ajax-supporter's rant over)

8-10 wrote: »
    How is that a flaw? Ajax were a better European team and it's not like they're ranked way ahead, Ajax 7th Liverpool 8th.

European Cup/CL:

Ajax 4 European Cups v Liverpool 4 European Cups
    Ajax 2 runners-up v Liverpool 1 runners-up

UEFA Cup:

Ajax 1 UEFA Cup v Liverpool 2 UEFA Cups

UEFA Super Cup

Ajax 2 UEFA Super Cups v Liverpool 1 UEFA Super Cup

European Cup Winners' Cup

Ajax 1 ECWC v Liverpool 0 ECWC

Intercontinental Cup (Not sure if this is included)

Ajax 2 Intercontinental Cups v Liverpool 0 Intercontinental Cups

I make that, not including the Intercontinental Cup, 8 European trophey's for Ajax out of 12 European finals. (10 trophey's total)

This compares to Liverpool's 7 European trophey's from 8 European finals.

I know that this is only European competition but if you take Ajax's 27 domestic titles to Liverpool's 18 you'd probably have seen Ajax competing a lot more in Europe year-on-year.

Where's the flaw in Ajax being ranked a place higher than Liverpool?

(Ajax-supporter's rant over)

well played sir.

i was genuinely not familiar with just how successful Ajax were in Europe to be honest.

which is embarrassing really. i had it in my head that they had 6 European trophies at most.

retracted so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Spurs in the top 20? Someone taking the mickey surely. Look at the vastly more successful clubs that lie beneath them. Even Villa should be ahead of them in that list.

Nice to see my boys at No 39.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Ugh the IFFHS has terrible English.

My problem with these things is that they just miss the point of the competitions. It's winning the cups that matters - the glory and the medals - not the individual results. Well that's my view anyway.

..so yeah - meh

And yet if Man U were top, eh? ;)

If I understand correctly, what they have done is award points for each game played in Europe, like a Pan European league, so the side (like Birmingham) who appeared often in Europe without winning a trophy much can appear higher than the side who was in Europe less often (Aston Villa) but won trophies.

At the end of the day, it's just a means to provoke debate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

14th? Should be higher than that if we weren't bleedin' robbed in two finals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So long as Liverpool is ahead of Man Utd nothing else matters! :p

mike65 wrote: »

if you manage to somehow turn this thread into Liverpool v Utd with that comment, well, i wouldn't know whether to slap you or applaud you.

:pac:

if you manage to somehow turn this thread into Liverpool v Utd with that comment, well, i wouldn't know whether to slap you or applaud you.

:pac:

We could take turns, give him one of each ;)

We could take turns, give him one of each ;)

bagsies slapping him :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

dor83 wrote: »

Probably something to do with the fact the played top flight football for the whole century. Not sure if Liverpool never got relegated either but I'd imagine that'd get ye alot of points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If I understand correctly, what they have done is award points for each game played in Europe, like a Pan European league, so the side (like Birmingham) who appeared often in Europe without winning a trophy much can appear higher than the side who was in Europe less often (Aston Villa) but won trophies.
    Yep that's my understanding too. And fwiw they seem to have done a good and fair job of that. But imo turning cup competitions into leagues retrospectively is pointless.
    Yeah i agree and definitely worth a thread. In fact it's inspired me to try and form a different/better ranking system.

EDIT:
    And yet if Man U were top, eh? ;)
    If manchester united were top it wouldn't change my opinion - i'm objective :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »

when's the presentation? :p back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I don't really understand what the problem is to be honest. It's not like they are subjectively deciding who they thing should be first, second, etc. They have a certain method for compiling their list, and they have applied it to every club that has taken part in European competition in the past century. I'm assuming the method is that the more appearances and wins is more more important than actual trophies won.

Real Madrid have never been relegated, and have the most European Cups of any other team. Barcelona are the only team in Europe to have appeared in a UEFA competition every year since it's inception. Haven't teams like Man Utd and Liverpool been relegated, thus they have had less opportunity to take part in European competition and rack up as many points, etc...

You can argue with the criteria, but at least they have stuck rigidly to their own rules to compile the list. I'm sure there are other lists that value actual trophies higher, lists where Liverpool and A.C will be higher than Barca and Juventus.

In the past 6 years, would you rate Porto higher than Chelsea, considering they have won a trophy, whereas Chelsea have stumbled in the semi's/ final's. That's a matter of subjectivity, and will vary from person to person. So as long as people understand the IFFHS's criteria, I don't really see how you can call the list rubbish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

14th is a disgrace for Dirty Leeds

read up on the 60s and 70s; you'll see why they're there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

arent you a Leeds fan? i seem to remember you always talking up Delph before he moved to Villa

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think he means we should be higher on the list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The only debate this list should provoke is about how fcuking pointless this list is.

Advertisement