Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in a thing called love? discuss.

• 10-09-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

i suppose a little story will start us off:

my little sister was talking about her friend yesterday who recently broke up with her boyfriend because they were not in 'love'...after hearing this i declared that love at our age was bulls**t and was called cynical.

sooo what do you peeps think?
    is it possible for teenagers to be in love or our we just slaves to our own bodies? also do you think that 'real love' is a mutual feeling with two people being attracted to each other or can it be a one sided thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

FredBaby! wrote: »
    is it possible for teenagers to be in love or our we just slaves to our own bodies?
    Are they mutually exclusive?
    "Love" is a feeling, given off by chemicals or electrical impulses in the brain or something, it's affected a lot by hormones.
    Love isn't something magical you experience when you find the 1 person out of 6 billion that's right for you, it's more your bodies way of telling you that this person seems worth staying with for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Just listen to the rhythm of my heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

FredBaby! wrote: »
    is it possible for teenagers to be in love or our we just slaves to our own bodies?
    Millions of teeangers have done and will fall in love or discover an emotional, chemical reaction to a thing called love .Some will want to take it further with the physical side of it , others will just want to enjoy the more innocent emotional side of it .

The bad news ....sad to say is that , many many many will have their lil ol hearts broken .:(

But It's all part of growing up and taking next step into adult world .So if it's happenning for ya enjoy it as much and as long as you can .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I dunno, maybe love takes over when the hormones begin to slow down so the brain can get a word in over the...physical 'feeling'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

jumpguy wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe love takes over when the hormones begin to slow down so the brain can get a word in over the...physical 'feeling'.
    When love takes over yeaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!1111111
    :pac:

Yeah I believe in love and I believe you can be in love with many different women/men over the course of a lifetime. But young ones like us shouldn't be concerned with any of that right out. We should be out there ridin'/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

My neighbour's parents started going out at 16. They were together for twenty-something years I think, until death did them part. They must have found true love at a young age, because nobody was forcing them to stay together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

K4t wrote: »
    We should be out there ridin'/

Straight outta the Hardy Bucks bible!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I've strongly liked girls and it's a great feeling when you are with them but I've never been in 'love'. But if the comedown from a breakup with someone you are in love with is worse than after strongly liking someone I don't even want to know:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've strongly liked girls and it's a great feeling when you are with them but I've never been in 'love'. But if the comedown from a breakup with someone you are in love with is worse than after strongly liking someone I don't even want to know:pac:

It's almost unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I do, no need to elaborate really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

definitely think its possible for love to happen at anyy age...

im almost 21 and ive been in love with the same person for over a year now...and trust me, you dont stop loving them after the breakup, which makes everything so much more difficult

obviously theres differing opinions on what love is...i used to believe that love was just a strong friendship with an added attraction...but when you find that person who really is special to you, you will know straight away, and that to me is what blossoms into love.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I believe in a thing called love. However I think the idea of a soulmate is ridiculous seeing as how most people seem to be able to find their one true love living in the same 10Km radius on a fairly regular basis!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I believe in a thing called love. However I think the idea of a soulmate is ridiculous seeing as how most people seem to be able to find their one true love living in the same 10Km radius on a fairly regular basis!

Living in Limerick, I've fallen in love with girls from there, from Kerry, from Clare and from Kildare. Not only does that rhyme, it also shows how strange and varied love can be, and how it can happen more than once. Then again, I suppose that would also suggest I haven't found "the one" yet... :o

Yeah, I'm obviously not arguing that's impossible to find love close to home, just that the idea of "the one" is a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I always wonder about this, I've said it to someone, a person i constantly thought about couldn't bear to think of with other people, wanted to share everything with, wanted to be with all the time. I have no doubt that I had very strong feelings for that person, they made me laugh, we had fun, he could cheer me up without even trying.

But then again at the same time, I found myself wondering, "is this it? is this what love is?" I guess by even wondering that and thinking slightly to myself when things weren't so great that this "love" seemed overrated, if I was in love I would truely have knowb and it wouldn't have seem overrated at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Most definitely.

But whether or not I've experienced it is another thing altogether. There's different kinds of love though, so in some ways, I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sarahovo

I think it is possible for young people to fall in love but then again just because they say they are in love doesnt mean they are. You hear of couples who are 18 or 19 saying that they have been with their boyfriend/girlfriend for 3 years what they dont tell you is that they have broken up numerous times within this timeframe. If they are in love why do they hurt each other by constantly breaking up with each other over stupid things? There is no point getting back with an ex just so the same thing can happen all over again. I have been in love and ya know what, it was ****! The aftermath was even worse. Except when i broke up with my boyfriend that was it, we talked and actually met up once or twice but I always made sure that he knew nothing would ever happen. This is how it should be. Believe me thou it hurt anytime he said something really nice or when we remembered something from our relationship. In these situations your thinking what do I do and I just ignored it.
    Another thing is some people dont know what love is....

For your consideration

brontosaurus.png

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    For your consideration

[noparse]brontosaurus.png[/noparse]

:D

What was the scroll-over text for that one?

• Advertisement

Title text: Well, sex is like a velociraptor: despite your movie-fueled lifelong neurotic obsession, unlikely to be found in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I thought love was something they made up so television shows and films could have an excuse to go through with a nonsense plot.

DUUUUUUUUUDE Love was set up by the corporations so they could push valentines day on us MAAAAAAAAAAAN. And the government put chips in out brains so that we can't think for ourselves! And all the mods are in fact robots sent here to destroy us...
    MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I'm reading a thread about love,
    Thinking of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I believe in love at a young age. I'm 18 and have real experience of love. Unfortunately it ended in heartbreak. So yes, it exists. I just don't think it can last forever, though there are a few exceptions obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I'm reading a thread about love,
    Thinking of you.
    *gets beating stick*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

This sums up how I feel about love, and it echoes what D4RK ONION and such have said too!

I'll save that for when I have a source of sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

^ Damn, I was just gonna post that!

Anyway, do I believe it's possible for teenagers to fall in love? Yes.
    Does it happen a lot? No, I don't think so. I think it's pretty rare to fall in love at such a young age, usually it's just glorified lusting after someone who you can tolerate being around.

Of course, I'm bitter and single so anyone who's in love gets nothing but evil glares off of me.

Advertisement