Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in a thing called love? discuss.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Of course, I'm bitter and single so anyone who's in love gets nothing but evil glares off of me.

hehe pehaps we should set up a Bitter Singletons forum...?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I second the motion, bloody couples, wandering around in public, making me feel bad...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jealousy is an awful thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Nettie

I most definitely believe that young people can be in love! Most the time though, they aren't. Like, you do come across some couples who've been going out a day and barely know each other and are ''in love''.

But then again, it can happen properly like it did to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Yes, it does exist, and was simultaneously the best and worst thing that's ever happened to me. It can destroy a person as well as make them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hmmm, when I was in school people (mostly girls it must be said) used to go around saying "oooh I love so and so" and it always struck me as a bit ridiculous. Maybe because the type of person who goes around declaring their love to anyone who'll listen is usually a retard regardless of age but anyways.

At the ripe old age of tenteen though, I definitely believe in love. But looking back at the first time I "fell in love" as in had ALL the sypmptoms-couldn't eat, sleep or think, used to think I saw their face on crowded streets, used to get dizzy around them, used to HOUND them around the place, used to find new meaning in crappy love songs-I realise I actually just fancied the arse off the guy. I'm still friends with him, but now, only about a year and a half after I was sure I'd never want to be around anybody but him, I look at him and a) can't believe he put up with me stalking him, and b) can't imagine what I ever saw in him in that way.

I think with teenagers and young adults it's not just the hormones that make them confuse lust/intense like for love, it's the novelty of the emotion, which is likely to be the most intense you ever experience. Even now I wouldn't exactly know how to define love, or being in love, but I know I have been (and yes, it eventually ended badly, and yes that SUCKED, I was literally in bits for weeks, nearly failed a few exams, lost half a stone and drove my friends insane).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nams

No.
    Teens are just naive.
    They lust, but never love.
    And they think they love, and get in far too deep.
    And when they are broken up with, they think it's the worst thing ever.
    But honestly, I laugh at them, but I understand that that think it's love, and I'm not gonna stand in the way of that.
    But regardless, it's nice to be liked, and I'd not denying that. But I know the difference between infatuation and love.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well, that's depressing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

nams wrote: »
    No.
    Teens are just naive.
    But honestly, I laugh at them, but I understand that that think it's love, and I'm not gonna stand in the way of that.
    But regardless, it's nice to be liked, and I'd not denying that. But I know the difference between infatuation and love.

So what, ya turn 20 and suddenly you can fall in love?

Think someone said it best on first page bout love being something a bit more than just liking. To define it more, if theres someone you really like(physically and personality-wise), can have a great time with them, they make you really happy(not the kind of happy you are like when ya wake up Christmas morning for presents), and you really care for them, then thats the making of love. Does it only happen after a certain length of time with a person? Well, someone please tell me*

*honestly, do....may explain another time

No.
    Teens are just naive.

tl;dr version:

I'm spouting bollocks

• Advertisement

tl;dr version:

I'm spouting bollocks
    Damn, the amount of intelligence in this post is almost too much to comprehend. I need some time to gather my thoughts.

While I realise this forum has a lot of 18+ people, I was saying that from a 14 year olds point of veiw. And when I was 12/13 I also had these veiws.
    I don't think someone in the 12/13/14 age group are capable of love someone unconditionally. My opinions though, like it or not~

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

not to sure,never really believed in love but...
    said them words for the first time to a guy recently,i always wanted to wait until i was completly sure i meant them ,said he wanted to stay friends, havnt tlkd to him since,ill not be saying i love you again any time soon:rolleyes:

tl;dr version:

I'm spouting bollocks
    Damn, the amount of intelligence in this post is almost too much to comprehend. I need some time to gather my thoughts.

Calm it down guys. No need to bring bitterness into a thread about love...

Damn, the amount of intelligence in this post is almost too much to comprehend. I need some time to gather my thoughts

Sorry about that, I thought I'd put it in layman's terms for you specifically since your post further up the page was utter holier than thou nonsense.

You're not really in any position to lecture anybody here about love, what age bracket you have to fall into to actually experience it, and how you seemingly laugh at those who say they've experienced it. If you think your point of view is 'right' or shared by everyone else here, you're as naive as the teenagers you claim to laugh at.
    While I realise this forum has a lot of 18+ people, I was saying that from a 14 year olds point of veiw. And when I was 12/13 I also had these veiws.
    I don't think someone in the 12/13/14 age group are capable of love someone unconditionally. My opinions though, like it or not~

Try to be a bit more specific with what you post then. While I do agree the word 'love' is thrown around an awful lot by teenagers, it doesn't necessarily mean every teenager should automatically be tarred with the same brush by putting down everything to lust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Hey hey, calm the passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Studies have shown that people do in fact feel strong affections for other people. I think it's safe to say that love exists if one defines it as 'strong affection possibly with a degree of sexual lust'. That, or the test subjects were lying for the craic.

Of course love is not very clearly defined and some people like to believe it to be magical and inexplicable. Those people are crazy. :pac:

Sorry about that, I thought I'd put it in layman's terms for you specifically since your post further up the page was utter holier than thou nonsense.
    I didn't mean to come off as holier than thou. But I can see how it could have been taken that way.
    You're not really in any position to lecture anybody here about love, what age bracket you have to fall into to actually experience it, and how you seemingly laugh at those who say they've experienced it. If you think your point of view is 'right' or shared by everyone else here, you're as naive as the teenagers you claim to laugh at.
    lol, I don't think of my opinion as being right opinion. As from what I've read before I posted in my topic, my opinion is quite different, so how I could think everyone shares my opinion, I don't know.

Try to be a bit more specific with what you post then. While I do agree the word 'love' is thrown around an awful lot by teenagers, it doesn't necessarily mean every teenager should automatically be tarred with the same brush by putting down everything to lust.
    kay. :]
    I agree with you on that though, the whole, the word love being thrown around.

Sorry if anyone else has been offended or whatever, by this. o:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

No.
    Teens are just naive.

Lust is sexual desire, and not everyone experiences that. To say "they lust, but never love" is a gross generalisation. From the point of view of an asexual anyway.

Infatuation is what I'd call it. It's a horrible feeling and I wsh there were some kind of pill we could take to cure it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Deise Girl, I've found the man for you... it was meant to be! Get in there!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?find=lastposter&t=2055704273

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Scrap what I said before...yes, yes I do:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

D4RK ONION wrote: »

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?find=lastposter&t=2055704273

just give her joe canning or a swedish guy and that should keep her quiet. It would for me anyways :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

D4RK ONION wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?find=lastposter&t=2055704273
    What?? Lol I never posted on this before.. Wher'd that come out of and how did you know I looked at this thread? :eek: lol
    Think I may have to pass him up but thats really because I don't think im good enough for him, hes outta my league :( (He'll probs be on this thread now:o)

And yeh Soccy.. Many a hurler :P And depends on the swedish person..... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Love is when two people connect on every level. You'd do ANYTHING for the other person. I think the idealistic view of love in movies (twilight esp...) and books makes everyone want this connection and maybe they pretend to themselves and everyone else that it's there. Teenagers, let's face it people, are prone to dramatisation. When they break up it seems like the worst thing in the world...until the next weekend when you meet someone else and it's all happens again.

You can't help who you fall in love with. That's why it happens at different times for different people. All I'm saying is the idea of being in love tends to make people believe they're in love. :D

Advertisement