Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should you set up bfore going to Aus?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Looking into heading to aus soon. I'm just wondering if anyone out there would know what you should do here before heading out..e.g. should you book your whv separately or should you book with one of these visa agencies like visafirst or usit..These seem to help you with things like sim card, travel ins, sorting your apartment, bank account..etc. What would people recommend doing before heading off?? Sorry if this has been asked already but couldn't find anything on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

Hey all,
    Looking into heading to aus soon. I'm just wondering if anyone out there would know what you should do here before heading out..e.g. should you book your whv separately or should you book with one of these visa agencies like visafirst or usit..These seem to help you with things like sim card, travel ins, sorting your apartment, bank account..etc. What would people recommend doing before heading off?? Sorry if this has been asked already but couldn't find anything on it.

- got my visa through usit and had it 2-3 days later.
    - dont get your bank or taxfile sorted with usit. threy charge about 20 euro each for them. bank account can be set up in (sydney) ANZ on georges st for free. and taxfile number can be set up for free when you get there in taxfile office.

i got a vodafone for for 60 dollars in the sydney airport on my way over. got good bit of free credit too.

for apt check gumtree for apt listings. most will come unfurnished. dont be put off as lots of backpackers have signs up selling fridges etc. you can also get lucky and find furnished apts on gumtree. if all esle fails try the furnished property group on pitt st (around number 600 pitt st if i remember right). costs a little more. if heading to Sydney try to get there mid november at the latest as the xmas rush for places and very few places are available from 1st wk of december.

hope that can be of help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thanks for that..ya I'm trying to get myself sorted and wondering about what I can do b4 I go. I heard it was a bit of hassle to get the tax number and that it would be easier to get it sorted here first....queueing in the tax office for hrs, etc...anyway 20 euro doesnt seem much to me for that.
    What is my best bet re accom when I arrive in Melbourne. Should I just use a hostel for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

yep defo stay in hostel when you get over. stayed in yha. theres a few of them in melbourne. the dearest one is on flinders st i think.

Are hostels safe enough? Would you have a single room or would it be a common dorm area? Also would lockers be big enough to store luggage, valuables, etc. I know from others that they are a good way of meeting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paddylast wrote: »
    - got my visa through usit and had it 2-3 days later.
    - dont get your bank or taxfile sorted with usit. threy charge about 20 euro each for them. bank account can be set up in (sydney) ANZ on georges st for free. and taxfile number can be set up for free when you get there in taxfile office.
    I thought this was funny.

You didn't get you bank or taxfile number with USIT as they charge a ridic fee on top, yet you got your visa with them, where they charge an even bigger and more ridic fee on top.

I did my visa online, via the government website and had it 3-4 hours (not days) later. It was also less than half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought this was funny.

You didn't get you bank or taxfile number with USIT as they charge a ridic fee on top, yet you got your visa with them, where they charge an even bigger and more ridic fee on top.

I did my visa online, via the government website and had it 3-4 hours (not days) later. It was also less than half the price.

x2:

Here's a couple of services that these agencies offer you can do that'll cost you fook all!

417 - Working Holiday Visa $230
    (Same form you have to fill in USIT and Visafirst , only cheaper! )

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

TFN - Tax File Number (apply when in Australia with a fixed address): FREE

http://www.ato.gov.au/

Bank Account: FREE

Can be applied for overseas by yourself. I know Westpac offer this service all you have to do is produce 100 points ID when you arrive (Show passport)

SIM Card $2

$2 for a Vodafone SIM in the Post Office!

International Driving Licence Not Required

YOU DON'T NEED ONE - An Irish DL is sufficient,

International DL only required for a non-english licence

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

International Driving Licence Not Required

YOU DON'T NEED ONE - An Irish DL is sufficient,

International DL only required for a non-english licence...

Important point on this.. Full Irish Driving License is only valid for 3 months, at that point you are obliged to obtain a local one, in Victoria at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Important point on this.. Full Irish Driving License is only valid for 3 months, at that point you are obliged to obtain a local one, in Victoria at least.

Here 6 months now on my Irish DL and not a bother with it. No intention of changing it until I absolutely have to...No pesky demerit points ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Vicroads wrote:
    If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is current and valid) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation or an International Driving Permit).

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas licence for three months from the date you first entered Australia or from the time the permanent visa was issued to you (whichever is the later). If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after this time you must hold a valid Victorian driver licence.

Must find out what happens to you if you dont is it considered driving unlicenced

Thanks for the info there lads. What do people do as regards insurance while in Aus. Is it really necessary..like will you get general free treatment in the hospitals like here in Ireland or it best to get it. Should one avoid the visa/insurance packages???...and try to buy separately??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Don't organise anything other than the Visa would be my advice, and do it directly through immi.gov.au not Visa First gangsters.

You don't need a fixed address to get your TFN, as advised above. Most hostels hold mail for three months so you can just order it to your hostel and then give them your new address when you get it.

Find an apartment through Gumtree.com.au or if looking with a few people and able to sign a lease then domain.com.au or realestate.com.au.

Hostels are fine for a few weeks until you get settled, there will be plenty others in the same boat.

Under no circumstances get an Aussie driving licence until you absolutely have to. Especially if you have had your full Irish for under three years. They will put you on P plates and it is a total pain in the ass. P plate drivers are allowed 7 demerit points before suspension, have a zero blood alcohol limit and may be restricted by speed or engine size. You will also find it near impossible to rent a car. If you have had your Irish licence over three years it is still advisable to keep it because it allows you 14 points (NSW) before suspension compared to 12 points for an Aussie licence.

Look around before deciding which bank to choose, I recommend BankWest because they are part of Commonwealth but have great offers. Commonwealth are the biggest bank with the biggest ATM network, to which BankWest customers have access for free. I bank with Commonwealth but would switch to BankWest if I wasn't so lazy. ANZ is the number two bank and I think StGeorge/Westpac is number three. Banks in Australia charge fees, and lots of them.

Only backpackers and ex-pats use Vodafone, it will be pushed on you. Three mobile has just a big network and is cheaper. Telstra are daylight robbery and Optus aren't much better.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Must find out what happens to you if you dont is it considered driving unlicenced
    Permanent visa is residency AFAIK, certainly not WHV or 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Health insurance is a big one too. Most agencies that do your visa will also do your insurance for free or for a small fee. You have to pay for an ambulance pickup in a non-emergency as well as treatment depending on whether its a private or a public hospital. What that means is if your on the verge of death its cool. No payment. If you fell and smacked your head pretty badly but are not going to die (like I did) then you could be looking at around $400 plus in medical bills.

ballooba wrote: »
    Permanent visa is residency AFAIK, certainly not WHV or 457.

And you would be correct:cool:

If you fell and smacked your head pretty badly but are not going to die (like I did) then you could be looking at around $400 plus in medical bills.

Ouch maybe the 63 bucks I spent last week on a years ambulance cover was not a bad idea??

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

..like will you get general free treatment in the hospitals like here in Ireland or it best to get it. ?

Thats a good one!!!:D Hospitals...free...in ireland....HA! HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Ouch maybe the 63 bucks I spent last week on a years ambulance cover was not a bad idea??

Nope it was a great idea. The ambulance is the priciest part unless your lucky enough to get one of the St. Johns or Red Cross. Don't think you have to pay them. Could be wrong though.
    man1 wrote: »
    Thats a good one!!!:D Hospitals...free...in ireland....HA! HA!

Aye, healthcare costs are generally better here but still not cheap. I hear you can pay as much as $200 for a dental checkup in the fancy areas of Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Aye, healthcare costs are generally better here but still not cheap. I hear you can pay as much as $200 for a dental checkup in the fancy areas nearly all of Sydney.

fixed that for you

and as covered before
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp
    As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You should set up a massive line of dominoes all around your house with the last one activing a bomb. And then tip the first one as you are going out the door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Are you going alone or with an other half?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mellor wrote: »

When I got mine with Usit the fee included insurance. At the time (a couple of years ago) this worked out cheaper for me than getting them seperate. Who's the best (as in cheapest) insurance provider these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

OP thanks for starting this thread. Im hoping to go within the next few months.. And as Im going alone I had all the exact same questions as you. Now most have been answered. Thanks lads.

Is it a bit weird to be going alone or do loads of people do it?

Hey Dave,
    I may be heading in Nov..not exactly sure yet. Will be going on my own at start...a bit scary but exciting as well..went abroad for summer on my own before and it was a great experience...where r u thinking of heading and what line of work are you hoping to get into??

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Hey Dave,
    I may be heading in Nov..not exactly sure yet. Will be going on my own at start...a bit scary but exciting as well..went abroad for summer on my own before and it was a great experience...where r u thinking of heading and what line of work are you hoping to get into??
    Aw thats good. I was a bit nervous about going alone but its all positive things coming back. Im a retail manager now but i'd settle for anything really. How bout yourself? I'm thinking of going after xmas. Where you thinking of heading?

prob melbourne first...see after that...i was thinking of being there before xmas rush but nothin definite yet....a bit of sun would be nice....get away from cold short days and long nights...aus economy seems to be picking up as well...last 2 months had positive growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

ballooba wrote: »
    Look around before deciding which bank to choose, I recommend BankWest because they are part of Commonwealth but have great offers. Commonwealth are the biggest bank with the biggest ATM network, to which BankWest customers have access for free. I bank with Commonwealth but would switch to BankWest if I wasn't so lazy. ANZ is the number two bank and I think StGeorge/Westpac is number three. Banks in Australia charge fees, and lots of them.

The bankwest transaction account t&c's stipulate in 1st para that only available to oz citizens and permanent residents :( Anyone try on whv?

http://www.bankwest.com.au/library/pdf/PDS_20080125-110540.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

On the subject of Driver's License... Get an Oz one if you're a resident. It's a piece of piss.

I landed Wednesday (as I mentioned in another thread) and on Friday I had a QLD License in my hand. It cost me $75-odd for a 5 year which is the same as it costs any Ozzie.

I walked into the Transport Office with my Passport, two Irish ATM Cards (Ulsterbank and Permanent TSB). Since I was only just off the plane, I had no evidence of residency in QLD so I was given a quick form to fill out. You have to have one half filled out by a QLD License holder who you live with though so this may not suit everyone. My advice in that instance is set up your bank account and use the letter they post your bank card to your Oz address (only takes about 3 days or so).

All-in-all, I was holding a License within 2 hours or so. Some jobs require you to have a valid drivers license for the state you're in so it's no harm.

And as for Balloba's bit, I held my Irish license for 2 years and am on a full QLD License, no P's at all. It's worth noting that things like this can be different in each state so check the requirements online before you do anything.

I also now hold a full QLD licence, the licensing rules here are much more practical than in NSW. I'm standing by my comments with regard to the NSW licence.

I wasn't aware that the Bankwest Account stipulated PR or citizenship as a requirement to get a Hero Transaction Account. Maybe it would be best to call them and clarify.

I was doing some admin on my CommBank account just now and noticed that there is a permanent resident / citizenship requirement on my Mastercard account with CommBank. Given that BankWest are part of CommBank I would assume that WHV and 457 holers are elligible too. I was on a WHV when I first got my CommBank Mastercard, believe it or not. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

dave98 wrote: »
    OP thanks for starting this thread. Im hoping to go within the next few months.. And as Im going alone I had all the exact same questions as you. Now most have been answered. Thanks lads.

Is it a bit weird to be going alone or do loads of people do it?

so thinkin the same ...going on my own ...got a career break from work startin in feb for a year and sick of people changing their minds so ive booked my flight, have my visa and the rest ....im workin on it ...I know people over ther but dont want to just land myself on them...Tryin to find out about hostels some are suppose to be nice....aaggghhh so nervous!!!

Advertisement