Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should you set up bfore going to Aus?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Kaka86 wrote: »
    so thinkin the same ...going on my own ...got a career break from work startin in feb for a year and sick of people changing their minds so ive booked my flight, have my visa and the rest ....im workin on it ...I know people over ther but dont want to just land myself on them...Tryin to find out about hostels some are suppose to be nice....aaggghhh so nervous!!!

Relax you will be fine, book any hostel for the first few nights in the city you land in. Be sure to have enough cash for a month or two and you cant go to far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hello all,
    Im filling in the online form for the WHV at the moment. It's asking for the date that I propose to leave. I'm not sure of the exact date yet. Can I put in a rough date or will this affect my entry into the country.
    Thanks.

Rough date should be fine

Thanks..
    I have made the payment ($220)..do I have to go through the links it says at the bottom of the page..
    1. retrieve and print your application form
    2. retrieve and print your payment receipt details
    3. nominate your passport with the Department
    4. attach documents
    any ideas???

Sorry Dude I last applied for a WHV in 1995. I have no idea what to tell you :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Thanks..
    I have made the payment ($220)..do I have to go through the links it says at the bottom of the page..
    1. retrieve and print your application form
    2. retrieve and print your payment receipt details
    3. nominate your passport with the Department
    4. attach documents
    any ideas???
    nah. you should get an email soon saying everything has gone through ok

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Would a yha membership card be useful in the hostels around australia for discounts, or which one is most popular down there?

Where can these be got in ireland?

A question for ye..if you are booking flights do you need to book a return flight. It's just that I'm not too sure when I might be coming back...6 months, a year, maybe more. Would it look suspicious going through immigration? Would you be pulled up?
    If I have to book return is it easy to change return flight and at what cost?
    WHV btw.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

A question for ye..if you are booking flights do you need to book a return flight. It's just that I'm not too sure when I might be coming back...6 months, a year, maybe more. Would it look suspicious going through immigration? Would you be pulled up?
    If I have to book return is it easy to change return flight and at what cost?
    WHV btw.
    Thanks.
    Once you have funds for a return journey it's not a problem
    lots of people come over with just one way ticket - not a problem

When are they likely to check your account though..is it hit and miss and are you likely to be pulled over in immigration when they see you have no return ticket?
    (I'm presuming here that they only do random checks re having sufficient funds in your account)
    What have others done??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

When are they likely to check your account though..is it hit and miss and are you likely to be pulled over in immigration when they see you have no return ticket?
    (I'm presuming here that they only do random checks re having sufficient funds in your account)
    What have others done??
    Hey i booked my return flight ...just though i had to ...i booked it with a local travel agents so i just have to ring them when i know i want to come back and they'll change the date for me...
    About the account thing ...i work in a bank and there is no way for anyone to check your account, they do random things like asking you to send them a statement or a letter from your bank showing that you have sufficient money to get home...but i think they may have stopped that in the past few years ...cause all people were doing is leaving the money in getting a bank statement and then taking everything out ..(my plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Flew into Brisbane on Friday morning. A quick look at the passport, a few of them looking at the landing card as I moved through, and quick xray of my bag. Took about 3 minutes. No questions asked about money, accomodation, return flight etc.

Might book the return while Ive the cash now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I;d book a return flight anyway. After a few months over here ur gonna be broke and wont be able to afford one. im in that situation now. im here on my 2nd WHV and my flights expired so now i have to fork out for a one way ticket home in a few months. its a pain in the arse saving. its hassle i could do without.

so regardles of immigration stuff, get the return flight. it cant hurt, and could save ur ass if immigration pulls u up on it. and sure worst comes to worst u can change the flight for about 50 quid!

Also, get a drivers licence! It'll be a big help! And learn to swim if u can! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I agree with B-Man above.

I'd book the return flight. I booked mine for the middle of next year and can change the date for a fee of €70. It stops me worrying about how I'll get home if it all goes belly up and I've no money - least I'll have my flights, well to London anyway, have to find a fiver for the Ryanair flights then :D

Grand thanks for that.
    Re opening a bank account in Melbourne, who should I go with?? Read the other post about bank accounts..there seems to be a good few of them.
    What is the best re easiest to set up, deposit cash, direct debits and charges for atm withdrawals.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Grand thanks for that.
    Re opening a bank account in Melbourne, who should I go with?? Read the other post about bank accounts..there seems to be a good few of them.
    What is the best re easiest to set up, deposit cash, direct debits and charges for atm withdrawals.
    Cheers

+1

Anyone know which bank in melbourne caters best for those on a WHV?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

they're all the same really. tho i think bankwest have done away with monthly fees so i'd go with them. im with ANZ and they charge 5 dollars a month.

theres no "backpacker special" in any of the banks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I'm with Westpac and they charge $5 a month as well.

Seems to be plenty outlets for whichever bank you choose.

Advertisement