Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error Message: App. Pending Reboot! HELP!!

• 10-09-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi, I'm Dean + no good with computers and need serious help with this issue, thanks!

Basically, a month ago I bought a "Three" Mobile Broadband Stick and installed it on my system. However, after about 2 weeks it started acting funny so I uninstalled it and said I'd try reinstalling it so I could start from scratch again.

However, when I go to reinstall it, it says Application has a pending reboot in a window entitled "Installshield Wizard" and says I should reboot the application then try again. However, I've restarted my system and it makes no difference.

Three won't help because they say they can't legally tell me what to do incase it damages my computer.....Any help or ideas would be really appreciated so please Help me cause im getting robbed of €20p/m for a service I can't use! :-D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Try using Ccleaner to totally remove all traces of it & then reintall it from scratch.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

Try using Ccleaner to totally remove all traces of it & then reintall it from scratch.

-

I used CCleaner just there and totally cleared the temp files etc, but to no avail.....still having the same issue.....:confused:

Kav1892 wrote: »
    I used CCleaner just there and totally cleared the temp files etc, but to no avail.....still having the same issue.....:confused:

Is the "Installshield Wizard" appearing in the Add Remove Programs or is there any reference to it in your Startup folder?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

you need to clean the registry, not the temp files.

make sure you have uninstalled the software

load up Ccleaner click on registry and select
    "scan for issues"
    click on "fix all issues"
    save the current registry when prompted
    reboot your computer and try re-installing your software

Tried using it on the registry too but still no luck.....

No installshield in "programs & features" which far as I remember is the vista version of "add/remove programs".

Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement

If you run the installation Disc itself does it give you an uninstall option?

-

plug the device in and click start.
    type "device manager" without quotes and hit enter, scroll down the list to network devices, and look for the name of the provider or manufacturer of the device,
    click on uninstall driver under the properties tab and attempt to "remove driver" (then maybe a reboot would be a good idea)
    attempt to reinstall your software

you could also look for, and kill the entry "installshield wizard" in your task manager if it presents you with the same message again.

sorry cant be of any more help.

where did you get the software that you installed.
    on cd from meteor?

If you run the installation Disc itself does it give you an uninstall option?

-

No there is no built in software for uninstalling it......all the install software is on the USB Key itself and the correct way to uninstall it is by using add/remove programs (thats according to three themselves)

I'm really stuck on this :mad:

I appreciate your help though mate :pac:

CrinkElite wrote: »
    plug the device in and click start.
    type "device manager" without quotes and hit enter, scroll down the list to network devices, and look for the name of the provider or manufacturer of the device,
    click on uninstall driver under the properties tab and attempt to "remove driver" (then maybe a reboot would be a good idea)
    attempt to reinstall your software

you could also look for, and kill the entry "installshield wizard" in your task manager if it presents you with the same message again.

sorry cant be of any more help.

where did you get the software that you installed.
    on cd from meteor?

Definity not there in device manager.....done thorough check.....

How do I kill the entry?

D software is built into the broadband stick.......

Does this error only appear when you attempt a reinstall or does it happen all the time?

-

• Advertisement

Does this error only appear when you attempt a reinstall or does it happen all the time?

-

See I have uninstalled the program so therefore its technically not a reinstall........just incase I didnt make it clear earlier, I uninstalled the program already and am trying to install it as I did when I first got the modem but I get the message "Application is pending a reboot. Please reboot the system and try again".

So anytime I connect the stick and then choose the install option the error message occurs as Installshield begins to load......

You can try the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool? LINK:

Or -

Revo Uninstaller LINK:

-

You can try the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool? LINK:

Or -

Revo Uninstaller LINK:

-

What will these do? (Hopefully speaking!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

Roll back your OS right before you originally installed the software. The downside is that you would lose everything that you installed after it. Just re install them again.

The program you do this with is System restore.

What will these do? (Hopefully speaking!)

I think the MS cleanup utility is your best bet. It cleans up any left over traces of incomplete or failed installs or uninstalls.

-

I think the MS cleanup utility is your best bet. It cleans up any left over traces of incomplete or failed installs or uninstalls.

-

Ok, trying that now.....

Bodan wrote: »
    Roll back your OS right before you originally installed the software. The downside is that you would lose everything that you installed after it. Just re install them again.

The program you do this with is System restore.

Unfortunately System Restore won't allow me to go back far enough.

-

Ok it has completed downloading but I dont know how to use it?

Ok it has completed downloading but I dont know how to use it?

Can't use the MS one as I cannot choose the software from the list as it is not there.....

Well then, my guess is that it's a Registry entry that you would have to manually track down (But only if you are competent with editing the Registry)

Get it wrong & you could totally screw your system.

-

• Advertisement

Well then, my guess is that it's a Registry entry that you would have to manually track down (But only if you are competent with editing the Registry)

Get it wrong & you could totally screw your system.

-

No unfortunately I would even know where to start....

Any other ideas? I appreciate ur help :)

No unfortunately I would even know where to start....

Any other ideas? I appreciate ur help :)

Can you give me the name of the Application or part of the name of any file associated with it?

For example, do any of the App files contain the word 3G?

-

Can you give me the name of the Application or part of the name of any file associated with it?

For example, do any of the App files contain the word 3G?

-

Since I can't locate any of the files still on the system then obviuosly I cannot check but the application is called 3Connect......and the modem that gets installed is a Huawei modem of some sort.....i am not aware of any of the file names......

However, when it looks for Admin. permission for the install, (where I click allow) if i click details.....it gives a location in drive C:......then afta that it says True F: and gives another location? However this only happens if i manually click drive F and launch the installer from there.....using autorun it just says F:\DataCardsetup.exe.....

This possibly mean anything?

If you go

START

Right click "COMPUTER"

Choose "MANAGE"

Click on "Device Manager"

Does the Huawei modem show as being installed under modems or anywhere else?

-

If you go

START

Right click "COMPUTER"

Choose "MANAGE"

Click on "Device Manager"

Does the Huawei modem show as being installed under modems or anywhere else?

-

Yes, under Ports, Modems, and disk drives........but this only there while modem is connected like I have it now.......

Yes, under Ports, Modems, and disk drives........but this only there while modem is connected like I have it now.......

Right click on it(Huawei modem) in the device manager & choose "Uninstall"

Then try to reinstall form the original software.

-

Still no luck.......however I have noticed also dat when I uninstall the actual hardware connection per say, when I reconnect it, not only does the computer say new hardware installed but also new software installed. (Before I even get to the proper three installer)

Ok,

Go back to the modem in Device Manager & right click on it & choose "Properties"

Click on the Driver TAB

Click on the Driver Details button

It will list the name of the driver & where it's located.

Post that Info back here.

-

• Advertisement

Ok,

Go back to the modem in Device Manager & right click on it & choose "Properties"

Click on the Driver TAB

Click on the Driver Details button

It will list the name of the driver & where it's located.

Post that Info back here.

-

Location: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ewusbmdm.sys [from COM & PORTS]

In modems it gives two addresses......that one and C:\Windows\system32\drivers\modems.sys

And in Disk Drives the addresses are the same except DRIVERS\disk.sys and drivers\partmgr.sys

Navigate to

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ewusbmdm.sys

Delete the file ewusbmdm.sys

If you can't find it you may need to show hidden files. In Explorer go (Tools>Folder Options>View TAB) & check the radio button for "Show hidden files & folders"

Don't restart & try to install again.

-

Navigate to

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ewusbmdm.sys

Delete the file ewusbmdm.sys

If you can't find it you may need to show hidden files. In Explorer go (Tools>Folder Options>View TAB) & check the radio button for "Show hidden files & folders"

Don't restart & try to install again.

-

Still no luck :confused:

Help with this any1? Pleeeese :confused:

have you tried the key in another computer, this would give you the names of the actual files that are being installed and will rule out the dongle as the source of the problem

you could also try cancling your sheduled commands, I have no idea if this would help but try opening cmd as administrator and at the prompt type

AT /Delete.

this will erase your sheduled commands which should not be a problem for a home pc.
    as I said it's a long shot.

Advertisement