Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend somewhere for sushi

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Myself and the gf went to Yo Sushi near Brown Thomas (used to be Aya I think), I found the food nice but its a bit over-priced. Is there any Sushi bars around Dublin that aren't so pricey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

In Ireland, you won't be able to find cheap sushi since fresh fish isn't cheap... The only cheap option is to try making your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

The Hop House on Parnell Street has better sushi and it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,444 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yamamori, its not cheap, but its the best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Now, Yo Sushi sucks, as Aya sucked before, in the same place (I suspect they are the same people but I don't want to go too far).

Hop house: guys, no way, it's not even sushi and I don't want to talk about the quality of what they put inside their norimaki...

The best restaurant for sushi is certainly yamamori, the one on the liffey, next to the Winding Stairs, is better than the one in George street these days.

Another place for good sushi, same as yamamori but not a restaurant (closes at 7pm every day) it's sushi king on dawson st.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another place for good sushi, same as yamamori but not a restaurant (closes at 7pm every day) it's sushi king on dawson st.

Had lunch there today and was really surprised with how good it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give the Sushi King place a go. I always enjoy the sushi/food I have in Yamamori. I was kind of just looking for another option for some nice lunch. While the food in Yo! was very nice myself and the gf still managed to spend €45 (weren't even eating the more expensive plates either) and came out of there not as full as I would have liked for that price.

Also if anyone can point me to a good Tepanyaki place......I heard good things about one on Baggot street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's a small sushi place called "Kokoro" that just does take out, on Liffey Street opposite the Epicurean Food Hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 apricotnelli

Tippenyaki in Rathmines is good for Sushi but not cheap and really good for tepinyaki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

michie sushi in ranelagh is the best i've tried so far in dublin. it only does takeaway and delivery though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

Marks and spencers do okay sushi for a very reasonable price. (for sushi on the go)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

There's a small sushi place called "Kokoro" that just does take out, on Liffey Street opposite the Epicurean Food Hall

+ 1 for Kokoro, great sushi.
    Hop house: guys, no way, it's not even sushi and I don't want to talk about the quality of what they put inside their norimaki...

The best restaurant for sushi is certainly yamamori, the one on the liffey, next to the Winding Stairs, is better than the one in George street these days.

- 1 for that comment. My Japanese friends all rate HopHouse as best in Dublin for quality and value. Yamamori, either of them, do not feature.

For best overall in Dublin it has to be Koishi, 174 Pembroke Road, Ballsbridge. Bit further out but really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

TJJP wrote: »
    For best overall in Dublin it has to be Koishi, 174 Pembroke Road, Ballsbridge. Bit further out but really great.

Yep - this place is amazing. Their lunch bento box is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

I'd give my vote to Ukiyo Bar on Exchequer St or Tippenyaki in Rathmines. Surprisingly Dublin has only about 13 Japanese Restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

TJJP wrote: »
    - 1 for that comment. My Japanese friends all rate HopHouse as best in Dublin for quality and value. Yamamori, either of them, do not feature.

IMHO you don't need to be japanese to judge the quality of the fish placed on rice, being japanese the best you can do is to judge the "authenticity" of something, the same applies if you're Italian, you don't need to be Italian to judge if a pizza is good or not, despite what many Italians think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'd give my vote to Ukiyo Bar on Exchequer St or Tippenyaki in Rathmines.

I can't eat there on principle (the guy who owns it is a total wanker - long story).

I eat a fair bit in that Koishi place in Ballsbridge. It's nice, but a little pricey considering the size of the portions (I always end up leaving hungry).

Yamamori northside is great. I'm constantly eating there. :)

The Korean places on Parnell Street are ok - certainly they're very cheap - but I would imagine it's not the freshest sushi in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

The Hop House on Parnel Street does some great sushi.

Aya used to be great but went downhill very, very quickly in its latter years. The replacement, Yo Sushi, serves the most bland, tasteless and unimaginative sushi I've ever had.

I still haven't tried that place on Pembroke Road but I've heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

LOVE Kokoro on Liffey St - very reasonably priced too.

Sushi King isn't bad.

Yo Sushi is outrageously overpriced. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Chubbcakes

The best isthe Japanes in Castleknock..in the village. It has the traditional style eating rooms where you have to take your shoes off before entering. Its the best sushi I have ever had....and I used to eat it every day in Australia. Its expensive, but worth it!

Advertisement