Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 repeat to complete degree

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

So I failed one module at the summer which needs to be re-sit this semester.

I logged on there to register and they seem to be charging me some crazy figure like 6000 just to complete this 1 module, and thus my degree... surely this cant be right!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I doubt it, but the obvious thing to do is to call UCD tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So I failed one module at the summer which needs to be re-sit this semester.

I logged on there to register and they seem to be charging me some crazy figure like 6000 just to complete this 1 module, and thus my degree... surely this cant be right!?

Hard luck mate, it should only be 200 euro or so, Anyway see Aisling O'Grady beside the programme office, she will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

yeh thats the amount i thought it would be! Just went into registration there and was fairly shocked/about to jump off a large building!

Im in new york until christmas so 'seeing' her will be difficult - hopefully email will suffice!

yeh thats the amount i thought it would be! Just went into registration there and was fairly shocked/about to jump off a large building!

Im in new york until christmas so 'seeing' her will be difficult - hopefully email will suffice!

You wont graduate till next year anyway, it could be worth your while taking your repeat in the second semester, that way you will be in the country. If you are not here till December, you will miss all your seminars and miss out on 10%. Wait till second semester, take your class, go to all your lectures and seminars (I know it would be hard to make 2 hours of class a week). Get a student card and go to the library. Maybe even take up a new module to the one you failed, unless its core of course. Get an A and kick ass.

Good luck.

You wont graduate till next year anyway, it could be worth your while taking your repeat in the second semester, that way you will be in the country. If you are not here till December, you will miss all your seminars and miss out on 10%. Wait till second semester, take your class, go to all your lectures and seminars (I know it would be hard to make 2 hours of class a week). Get a student card and go to the library. Maybe even take up a new module to the one you failed, unless its core of course. Get an A and kick ass.

Good luck.

After the exam ill be back on my travels elsewhere so thats not an option either! :-) Im pretty sure there is no seminars/lectures anyway this semester so its all good - just the exam at the end. Emailed aisling o-grada there anyway so hopefully she'll have some good news for me!

• Advertisement

Don't want to be a doomsayer, but I have two friends in a similar situation.

They have to pay half a years fees *approx €2,000* as well as the repeat fee.

I thought it was the registration fee that had to be paid, on top of the repeat fee?

dyl10 wrote: »
    I thought it was the registration fee that had to be paid, on top of the repeat fee?

I think you are right, so that is the repeat fee plus 157 euro or 1500 euro. Expensive if 1500.

this is complete bull****.

cant pay that, might have to feck away 3 years of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Relax.

I'm in the same situation.

Its 1/2 of the 1500 plus your repeat fee and student centre levy. At least thats what my programme office told me.

• Advertisement

yeh thats what it seems to be - still a major blow to the finances! They have our degrees, so close to completion - so they can basically charge what they like.

Blackmail in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

yeh thats what it seems to be - still a major blow to the finances! They have our degrees, so close to completion - so they can basically charge what they like.

Well you did fail.

thank you for pointing that out - it was in no way obvious throughout the rest of this thread.

You absolute spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

thank you for pointing that out - it was in no way obvious throughout the rest of this thread.

You absolute spanner.

Why shouldn't they charge you for a full year? Many colleges wouldn't let you repeat 1 module if you failed, you'd have to repeat the full year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Why shouldn't they charge you for a full year? Many colleges wouldn't let you repeat 1 module if you failed, you'd have to repeat the full year.

Many colleges are not Semesterised or Modular.

I reckon they way they are doing it is fairest though. I mean I can hardly complain about failing an exam, it was entirely my own fault.

Now the student centre levy... I have my grievances about paying that.

I thought the vast majority of non-modularised colleges have summer repeats only a couple of months post exam, for failed exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

It's half the 1657.50 plus the 230 repeat fee. Your account will charge you the full 1887.50 but just pay 1058.75 and when you pass your repeat the other half of the registration fees will be reversed. If you fail again though you'll have to pay the other half of the reg fees plus another re-sit fee

Advertisement