Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMX sequence

• 10-09-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

A friend doing an uprail to tailwhip out.....if the name of the trick doesn't make sense....its damn hard thing to do......slide up a rail and then spin the bike around you as you fly off the top....took about 8GB of shooting before it was landed.....thank God for 2 mem card slots! Maybe I need bigger cards?
    Best seen bigger as it's a long sequence!

3907912562_3f651103c9_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I always protected my other photos when doing sequences so I could just delete them all quickly and easily, I have a habit of deleting photos straight away if I there not good.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

this was the pure sequence....no slipping in shots from other attempts/sequences....so many to delete....seriously 8gb of deletes!

EDIT:

He tried this so many times and so frequently I didn't have time to protect and delete frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I went up to this dirt track that you are heading to this Sunday and some kid was there so I attempted a few shots (1st time ever)...I used burst mode(which I very rarely use) and of the 12 or so I took, they all failed!! Miserably!
    1ST half dozen were with an IS lens and the last few with a 85mm non IS.
    As you can see from the picture it was a disaster...
    I had used both spot metering and full AF points.

:(

What the hell am I doing wrong!!!
    I've never really learned to pan either.

B84362FD4A3C475BA7E947CB10A6518F-800.jpg

A friend has just said to me on irc
    [15:45] <Rocket---> the lighting is the problem
    [15:45] <Rocket---> too much variation
    15:46] <Rocket---> exactly
    [15:46] <Rocket---> sharp points of light all over the place.

Not sure if that is true as they have only a passing interest in Photography.

Maybe this should be in SmelltheGlove's dump a picture thread!

It's really hard to shoot photos down there without flash. On Sunday it'll be easier when there are more flashes and people riding the bigger jumps. It's all in a shaded area. Less than ideal conditions!

See you Sunday!

This is where my noviceness shows thru¬¬
    Why do you need flash on a bright day?
    I shot on manual (TV was a disaster) and it looked fine for metering... :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Its so dark compared to the beaming sunshine just beyond the trees and beyond the dynamic range of any camera I'd say. I'm guessing the difference in contrast would have given the light meter some trouble.
    Flashes are good for fill in and making the subject pop out from background. It'll all make more sense on Sunday!

So better light the picture the easier it is to get it sharp?

Might be better off with the 40D and its 6fps than my 3.9fps 5D II?

Handheld, mono/tripod?
    Coffee/Tea?
    2 sugars ?

Go full frame. I usually have my flashes set up to light the subject and the jump/landing and wait for someone to come along and shoot 1 shot. Flashes (mine anyway) wouldn't be able to keep up with more than a few shots before they refresh/recycle rate wouldn't be able to keep up.
    It takes a while to get the idea of who does what on each jump too and knowing who's good to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

So better light the picture the easier it is to get it sharp?

Might be better off with the 40D and its 6fps than my 3.9fps 5D II?

Handheld, mono/tripod?
    Coffee/Tea?
    2 sugars ?

im gonna use my 5d mark ii sunday and gonna attempt without flash too :) should be interesting

I shall use this Sunday as more of a learning of the pros rather then aiming to get picture of the year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Sweet shot, you should do a descriptive timeline action shot with it!! I think it'd look great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am at work in the morning and after that there is free alcohol in Phoenix Park, so I might not be able to get there. We will see tomorrow.

AR - You need to freeze the movement. At least to have the rider sharp. That means very high shutter speeds. Shutter speeds depend on amount of light. There are many trees there, so it is dark like in my shoe box. If you bring your 5DMkII, you'll be able to set quite high ISO to stop the movement. And to go wider. But you'll end up using flashes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

@AR That particular shot, it just looks like the autofocus picked up the background, properties say iso 2000 and shutter speed 1/800, would imagine that was fast enough to capture the rider. Maybe a different autofocus mode would have worked better? Continuous mode and centred... although you did say you tried this, or manual focus and wait for rider to hit where you focused

Advertisement