Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Italian Mullingar

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Heading for dinner at the weekend to the new Italian that has opened beside Days bazaar. What's it like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maroongael

I was there the week it opened but not since. It was fine. Very reasonable and very friendly staff. The menu is however very limited, the wine list needs huge work and the food itself just average. Not a patch on Pastabella or even Mizzonis in my opinion. Hope you enjoy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

I agree when you say the food is average. None of us had pizza. Perhaps thats their area of expertise. Out of six of us, three thought their meal just ok while the others liked their meal. The wine selection needs work. A nice atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

"Wine list needs work....................

What exactly does this pretentious twaddle mean?

Did you enjoy the wine or didnt you?

If not why not?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

martin1 wrote: »
    What exactly does this pretentious twaddle mean?

Did you enjoy the wine or didnt you?

If not why not?:confused:

How is this pretentious? Obviously the previous posters found the wine menu uninspiring or lacking in imagination. Maybe they couldn't navigate the myriad of unusual grape varieties or maybe the menu just needs a better selection. But pretentious?..Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maroongael

"pretentious twaddle" :confused:

Can honestly say have never been accused of that before. I believe if you have seen the wine list in the restaurant you would agree.

The night I was there they had a list with the names of 5 maybe 6 wines altogether. The menu had no division between white or red, no description of any wine literally just a name and a year. I like to see a recommendation as to what might be a nice choice for certain dishes or at least some description,this was not there.While the waitress was very friendly she could provide no assistance.
    We picked a red wine which given the choice will never pick again. Is that "pretentious twaddle"? Apologies if it offends the sensibilities!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

I too am smiling at the twaddle remark:D

There were only a handful listed with no information and our server couldn't add anything. I don't pretend to be a wine buff but there are wines I like and wines I don't. We chose at random and were disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Also baffled by the "pretentious twaddle" remark....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 chat247

Went in a couple weeks after opening, dinner for two, not very impressed. Bland food and poor wine list, service ok but nothing to write home about. Nice bright restaurant, busy but will need to improve if it stands a chance of staying open.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

I had dinner here a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't drinking so I cant comment on the wine ;)

The service was great.

However, the food was not that great at all. The menu is lovely, but some of the food was quite greasy and plain, and they told me I couldn't have dessert because they were all still frozen!

Advertisement