Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satish

• 10-09-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i am looking some information on DIT(college) and Maynooth(NUIM) for Engg. degree in electronics & computer(L8), i would like to know that which one is batter or godd reputation for above course as i have a offer from both.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Don't take my word alone on this, but from what I hear, DIT is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

A guy who graduated from maynooth with EE said to me without knowing that i was doing some modules in it that his employer told him that it was regarded as one of the most difficult in Ireland.....

yet again though that is hear say(how do you spell that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

That's probably a personal opinion of courses. My sister is in D.I.T doing enginerring and loves it. From what I've heard the D.IT courses are much more practical based and hands on. Both have good points and bad points.
    Would do no harm in going to the colleges and talking to some of the lecturers and students to get a proper feel of the place before choosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭token56

Just graduate from electronic engineering in maynooth and looking at the DIT website and the modules for engineering and their details, the two courses look broadly similar to be honest.

The bulk of the subject matter for the first 2, maybe 3 years seems to be the same although the order it is thought is slightly different i.e. maynooth teaches some modules in first year where as it is thought in second year in DIT and vice versa.

Both courses have industrial work experiece in 3rd year and a project 4th year. In 4th year and 3rd year to an extent, some of the modules differ. In maynooth there is alot more control systems thought during the final year, depending on the stream you are doing. This doesn't seem to be done much in DIT, maybe I am wrong on this. There are also modules like optical electronics available in maynooth during 4th year. However DIT does have some nice looking modules in 4th year not thought in maynooth. I guess its hard to know though at this stage what you are going to be interested in.

Should also mention both courses are accrediated by Engineers Ireland so no difference here. Its obviously a bit biased but I can also tell you that the department and staff in maynooth is excellent and very friendly. I obviously cant comment on what DIT is like.

Not sure this has been of much help, but its just my thoughts after looking briefly at the DIT course. But in summary, the courses are fairly similar in subject matter and difficulty by the looks of things with subject matter being a bit more varied in 4th year. I would obviously recommend maynooth to anyone but DIT also seems to offer a good course.

Advertisement