Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a puppy breed please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

No need for this thread to be locked, you're getting some good advice here too. I've warned people about unhelpful comments, anymore and I'll be handing out bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

star-pants wrote: »
    Well it is up to you at the end of the day if you feel you wish to give your jackrussell a new home.
    Would you try and get another breed like the cross you currently have? the younger one

I dont want another big dog. My house is very small and I dont want to be crowded in here. But a cross breed is always better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well you could check out local shelters etc, see if there are any young pups of cross breed?

Closest shelter is waterford or cork. I will check them tomorrow. From What Ive heard and my experience with the two cross breed dogs (Mine and my parents) Cross breed dogs are more willing to learn and have less health problems than pure breed dogs.

I dont mind caring for the dog when its sick and bringing it to the vets when the dog needs it (Maybe thats what you guys are gettig at) but some pure breed dogs seem to have a lot of health problems which I would like to try and avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'd suggest a Cairn terrier also, great hearty little dogs and quite independent although that might just be my one. Very good with kids and new people in general but if not exercised will destroy your garden with digging. Seriously big into digging random holes when bored.

• Advertisement

Just read a bit on the Cairn Terrier and the two sites I looked makes me think they are a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

we also have a cairn terrier, and is mostly trained at 9 months. lovely dog, never thought i'd have a small breed as was brought up with numerous german shepards over 20 odd years.

as BanzaiBk pointed out cairn's are lovable dogs by as all pets they need exercise.

your not gonna get a dog that ticks all the box's, that comes with character and training and upbringing.

as samantha2000 says, doggies are not easy and sometimes a new plant would suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP you already have two puppies which you have owned for 3 weeks and 1 week. Would you not give these dogs a bit more time to settle in and get the less obedient one trained better before you bring in any more dogs? From this thread and your other thread about your house situation you seem to have a lot on your plate already so maybe iron out those issues before getting more animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So basically you've got a Jack Russel cross that you haven't been able to turn into a perfectly functionin image of a dog within three months and now you're looking to exchange it for something more plyable.

I'm afraid, I've got bad news for you. Any small dog that has an element of terrier in it will always be stubborn to some degree ...that's how they were bred. Independent, clever, strong willed and unafraid ...the kind of traits you need when you get sent into a dark burrow after a fox or badger.

The other small breeds, the toy breeds that have been lapdogs for generations are a bit more easy to train ...but they all come in different shades of fluffy and quite a few of them with some health issues attached.

I would suggest that you get yourself two or three packs of patience and keep at it with the dog you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

What about a Glen of Imaal Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_of_Imaal_Terrier)? I don't actually know anybody who has one but I've seen them around and they're a nice little breed and from what I hear they have a good bit of character too.

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    OP you already have two puppies which you have owned for 3 weeks and 1 week. Would you not give these dogs a bit more time to settle in and get the less obedient one trained better before you bring in any more dogs? From this thread and your other thread about your house situation you seem to have a lot on your plate already so maybe iron out those issues before getting more animals?
    This thread is for a suggested puppy. The jack russell is being rehomed next week to a guy just a few miles away. When he is rehomed I will wait a while (Maybe wait until the young one is a year old) to decide wether I want another puppy or not and the suggestions made here are to help me decide what breed I should consider.

As for my rat problem. I got onto the council and health board. The council were reluctant at first to do anything until I pushed for them to do something. So the Council sent in some guys to lay down more poison. Then the health board got onto the council about the problem so yesterday there were some council men in the house next door clearing out the house and laid some poison in there (Rember there is nobody living in the house next door and the house is boarded up) So in the past few days there is reduced activity of rats in my house and it seems that theres no rats left in my house but I will know in a few more days if they are gone. But there is a horrible stink on my bathroom like a rat is dead in the toilet or down the shower drain.
    peasant wrote: »
    So basically you've got a Jack Russel cross that you haven't been able to turn into a perfectly functionin image of a dog within three months and now you're looking to exchange it for something more plyable.

I'm afraid, I've got bad news for you. Any small dog that has an element of terrier in it will always be stubborn to some degree ...that's how they were bred. Independent, clever, strong willed and unafraid ...the kind of traits you need when you get sent into a dark burrow after a fox or badger.

The other small breeds, the toy breeds that have been lapdogs for generations are a bit more easy to train ...but they all come in different shades of fluffy and quite a few of them with some health issues attached.

I would suggest that you get yourself two or three packs of patience and keep at it with the dog you've got.

No! I have a pure breed jack russell. I understand what you are saying about the health problem and dont mind it but some breeds have a lot more health problems than others.
    What about a Glen of Imaal Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_of_Imaal_Terrier)? I don't actually know anybody who has one but I've seen them around and they're a nice little breed and from what I hear they have a good bit of character too.

Thanks for the suggestion but its a small lap dog I am looking for suggestions for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Funny you mention a rat problem....was watching a programme on BBC a couple of weeks ago and they were actually using Jack Russels instead of poison or traps to get rid of rats in people's houses....much more effective apparently. Not directly related to your problem perhaps but if you are having problems with vermin then terriers (particularly JRs) are fantastic to have around

Funny you mention a rat problem....was watching a programme on BBC a couple of weeks ago and they were actually using Jack Russels instead of poison or traps to get rid of rats in people's houses....much more effective apparently. Not directly related to your problem perhaps but if you are having problems with vermin then terriers (particularly JRs) are fantastic to have around
    I think theyre dying on the side f my house where the bathroom and bedroom are because it stinks in my bedroom and bathroom today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lyndareinl

Hi Steve30X,

I recently had the same dilemma, I wanted a dog that was small but not a Chihuahua, sit on the lap, but not a clingy dog, strong health and sturdy, non- shed smooth coat- easy to train as i wanted to teach him lots of cool things...

and then i discovered the Boston Terrier.

they grow about the same size of a Jack Russel... check out the pics:

90472.jpg

90471.JPG

90474.jpg

Boston is 14 weeks old now and his ears will stand up straight in another 2 weeks or so.

AT 8 weeks he could sit, and was paper trained, he is now fully toilet trained, but remains a house dog. he rings a little bell to let you know when he needs to go.

super fun, super cute, loves everyone, and the best part - it is not in their nature to bark. Boston has only barked about 3 times in all!!

hope you find this helpful!

Lynda

lyndareinl wrote: »
    Hi Steve30X,

I recently had the same dilemma, I wanted a dog that was small but not a Chihuahua, sit on the lap, but not a clingy dog, strong health and sturdy, non- shed smooth coat- easy to train as i wanted to teach him lots of cool things...

and then i discovered the Boston Terrier.

they grow about the same size of a Jack Russel... check out the pics:

Boston is 14 weeks old now and his ears will stand up straight in another 2 weeks or so.

AT 8 weeks he could sit, and was paper trained, he is now fully toilet trained, but remains a house dog. he rings a little bell to let you know when he needs to go.

super fun, super cute, loves everyone, and the best part - it is not in their nature to bark. Boston has only barked about 3 times in all!!

hope you find this helpful!

Lynda

Thank you or that great suggestion. That breed seems to tick all the important boxes. I will certainly consider one of those when the time comes that I might want another puppy or not. I just have to get a few issues to iron out first and let the new puppy I have (Which definately ticks all boxes) grow up and get used to me. By the way that puppy of yours is a realy cute little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

Im sorry but let me get this straight,

your parents have a jack russel
    your brother had one
    you said you didnt like them
    Why did you get one then? Why are you getting rid of it after 3 weeks? It takes more than that to train them. We had a jack russel and she was a great watch dog wary of people she didnt know and very sweet with people she liked. she didnt bark except for at storms or visitors. she came back when called but we didnt need her trained. im having a REALLY hard time why you took a dog when you had negative experiences of a breed. were you holding it for a while? its behaviour wouldnt get better when you get it at 9 months and then two weeks later introduce a new dog to the pack. the dog's habits can change but it takes a while. if you get a new puppy i asssume you are prepared for the fact that it too might be clingy/hyper despite what the breed temperment says?

Why exactly are you getting rid of this dog? It might help when picking a new one (by the way its really good you found it a home instead of dropping it at the pound) Was it only a temporary arrangement or had you planned on keeping the dog?

If you are looking for a mellow lap dog maybe a rescue cav or shihtzu? our neighbour adopted a shih tzu and he is dead quiet and sweet, but the guy does walk him twice a day regardless of weather and he is delighted now to be in a home it seems! :) you will need insurance for any lapdog really, and i wouldnt buy into the "if you cross a cav and shih tzu you get the best of both" Sometimes you get the worst of both. some mixees are very hard though so its all luck and guesswork. jack russels are very independant and hunting dogs so they are bred to be high energy. my aunt has a jack russell and he gets about an hour and a half walk everyday and then the run of the garden.

cocker spaniels (especially blue roans) are beatiful, can be a lapdog (little bit bigger i know but a bit more manly than cavs) and have the same activity level as a cav. it depends on the puppies personality when it comes to its temperment later. clinginess could be a result of boredom. Shihtzus have one of the lowest level activity needs so i would guess that translates to less hyperactivity.

any terrier bred for hunting, or spaniels, will be hgh energy dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I would be with everyone else in that let your new dog settle before introducing a new one.

What exactly is wrong with your jrt that you don't like about him? Would bringing him to a obedience class help? Allowing him 3 weeks to settle into a new home, while in the mean time introducing a new dog would be hard on him, so if you don't really want to rehome him then id hold off for a while do some more training with him, bring him to a good obedience class and then decide what to do, but its up to you.

I have a cairn terrier cross, he is a lap dog, is quite independant yet he does love company without being too clingy, he does shed a bit but no more than most other dogs, I find him very easy to train (even though he does have a few problems), he is very playful and friendly and loves kids hes very gentle with them, and I do think he has a lovely tail!!
    That said he is a cross, of mostly cairn but something else too. No two dogs of the same breed are exactly alike, its mostly in the upbringing. I would say that when you are ready to get a new dog, go have a look at whats in the pounds and shelters, take some of the dogs out for a walk to get a better sense of what they are like, especially the older dogs some often come in already trained.

If you are thinking of getting a chihuahua one thing I will say is that they are not outdoor dogs, they are very small and have a very thin coat so get cold easily, they are also a prime target for dog thieves so a chi left unattended in the garden would be an easy job for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I would suggest a cocker spaniel - they are a medium sized dog - still lap sized - mind you any dog will often think he is a lap dog - my rottie does!

but please remember owning dogs takes time & patience & training - dogs need to learn & smaller dogs are often working dogs so need exercise & mental stimulation. Please research a heap of dogs before you decide to get another dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Would you not consider a minature smooth haired dachshund. I have two at the moment and there excellent pets. We have had all the different types of dachshunds from smooth haired to long...from black and tan to chocolate....rabbit sized to standared. For about 40 years we have kept dachshunds and know them inside out. There a great dog and companion.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Even if you get a dog that fits your specifications, you never know what health problems may arise. My middle dog is a jack russell cross, perfectly healthy apart from a missing back leg (and no - I don't know how she lost it. She was a rescue dog). Now, at 7, the vet took a biopsey today from an abscess on her face and I won't know whether she has cancer or not for another 10 days. I always swore the very last dog I would ever get would be a Jack Russell and now I have 2, and am in bits waiting for the results from the vet.

Rather than going out with a list of requirements that your dog must have, just go to a rescue centre, look at the dogs and puppies there and bring home the one that steals your heart

• Advertisement

Steve30x wrote: »
    This thread is for a suggested puppy. The jack russell is being rehomed next week to a guy just a few miles away. When he is rehomed I will wait a while (Maybe wait until the young one is a year old) to decide wether I want another puppy or not and the suggestions made here are to help me decide what breed I should consider.

And what happens if the new puppy doesn't meet your strict criteria?
    Will that puppy be rehomed too?
    Breed descriptions are only generalisations and much of a dog's personality depends on how it's raised. A breed description of a dog is not like an item description in the Argos catalogue, where everything has to be guaranteed to be what it's stated as. Sure, most Jack Russells are pretty fearless, but I know one that's terrified of cats. It's not that he's a faulty model, it's because he doesn't get much contact with cats and the ones he sees take no prisoners and are quick with their claws towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ghost_ie wrote: »
    and am in bits waiting for the results from the vet.
    I really hope it turns out ok for you and your JR.

OP I think you should examine your own dog husbrandry skills before you get, and subsuquently rehome, any more puppies.
    Ween a dog pees indoors catch it in the act , hold it by the scruff (Like its mother would have) and tap it on the nose (Do not hurt the dog) and put it outdoors for a few minutes. The dog will get the message fairly quickly (Although it depends on the breed of dog)

When a dog does something you dont agree with tap it on the nose or back so they can feel it but not hurt them and if the dog runs away follow the dg until they lay down in submission just like a pack leader would.

Your training methods are based on physical reprimands and following/chasing the dog until it lays down in submission. What happens if the dog pees in fear instead? Does he get more physical punishment?

Magenta wrote: »
    OP I think you should examine your own dog husbrandry skills before you get, and subsuquently rehome, any more puppies.

Your training methods are based on physical reprimands and following/chasing the dog until it lays down in submission. What happens if the dog pees in fear instead? Does he get more physical punishment?

I cant see anything cruel with my training methods. In actual fact my dogs more affection than corrections , but you take my training methods that dont happen too often in a week (Maybe twice in a week maybe just the once) and try to make me look cruel. Anybody else want to take a cheap shot at me here. Its posts like this is why Ive stopped posting in this thread. No matter what I say I am in the wrong. I have never once hurt my dogs , not once. Nor have I made them fearful of me.

Also I have decided that I dont want another puppy and I am happy with Angel.

PS. You just have some kind of dislike to me or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I cant see anything cruel with my training methods. In actual fact my dogs more affection than corrections , but you take my training methods that dont happen too often in a week (Maybe twice in a week maybe just the once) and try to make me look cruel. Anybody else want to take a cheap shot at me here. Its posts like this is why Ive stopped posting in this thread. No matter what I say I am in the wrong. I have never once hurt my dogs , not once. Nor have I made them fearful of me.

I don't think it was anything personal people just thought you were being a bit rash with your decision to give up on the other dog. 3 weeks is not very long. Also I felt you were looking for the perfect dog that didn't exist. But I'm glad to hear your sticking with the dog you have and wish you the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

i think you are doing the right thing by researching the breed of dog you are looking for and that will fit into your life. a lot of people get dogs for the cute factor without realising how much exercise or care they require.

as regards the whole dog peeing business, catching it by the scruff etc i do think that there is a better way of house training. i only know this due to using both methods and this one takes a lot shorter and is far less stress on dog and owner! what i did was bring the dog out every few hours as you have to anyway and make an enormous fuss of it when it goes to the toilet. it literally took a few days to fully toilet train our pup with this method. she is now 5 yrs old and we can now take her out and say "time to go" and she will go immediately. by using the exact same method we also trained her to go only in certain areas....ie not on the lawn! Having used both methods of training the latter is far better IMO and the bonus is you get a better bond with the dog as a dogs main aim is to please.

Have you ever though of a whippet or greyhound as a rescue dog. saw a few today and they are really nice animals:)

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I don't think it was anything personal people just thought you were being a bit rash with your decision to give up on the other dog. 3 weeks is not very long. Also I felt you were looking for the perfect dog that didn't exist. But I'm glad to hear your sticking with the dog you have and wish you the best of luck

Those are just suggested things I would like in a dog but they dont have to be like that It is to help you guys suggest the dog which would suit my needs best.

The Border Collie X Golden Retriever I have and the one I am keepng is the perfect dog. She ticks most of the boxes.

* She is easy to train
    * She is very friendly nd playful
    * She is very independant
    * She has a beautiful long tail
    * She doesnt have too much fur
    dmy1001 wrote: »
    i think you are doing the right thing by researching the breed of dog you are looking for and that will fit into your life. a lot of people get dogs for the cute factor without realising how much exercise or care they require.

as regards the whole dog peeing business, catching it by the scruff etc i do think that there is a better way of house training. i only know this due to using both methods and this one takes a lot shorter and is far less stress on dog and owner! what i did was bring the dog out every few hours as you have to anyway and make an enormous fuss of it when it goes to the toilet. it literally took a few days to fully toilet train our pup with this method. she is now 5 yrs old and we can now take her out and say "time to go" and she will go immediately. by using the exact same method we also trained her to go only in certain areas....ie not on the lawn! Having used both methods of training the latter is far better IMO and the bonus is you get a better bond with the dog as a dogs main aim is to please.

Have you ever though of a whippet or greyhound as a rescue dog. saw a few today and they are really nice animals:)

Im not going to bother with a new puppy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I really hope it turns out ok for you and your JR.

Thanks. Results should be back late this week or early next week. Fingers crossed it'll be good news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nothing against you personally..after all don't know you.
    However the training methods are not on nobody should do that to a dog or puppy it's just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

Let me get this right. Even though I never hurt my dogs , I give them loads of affection and they love being around me. I am mistreating my dogs? I give my dogs more affection than a lot of other people I know.

I actually know somebody whos training methods are cruel. If the dog uses the house as a toilet he hits the dog realy hard and puts her outside. When the dog is left back inside his girlfriend goes at the dog with a spatula.

You guys have no Idea how much affection my dogs get. I can not give my dogs enough affection realy. They get a tone of it every day.

All my other training method are a whole lot more pleasent to the dog. When the dog does somehing I agree with I always make a big deal of it and make them feel good about it , if thy dont do what they are told I will ignore them for a few minutes and try again until what I am trying to do starts to work.

For instance , When I want the dog to play ball properly. I will hold the ball out to my side and have the dog sit until she looks at me calmly , then I will throw the ball and when she brings the ball back to me I will praise her and give lots of affection. If she doesnt bring the ball back I will wait till she drops the ball and walks away from it and try again. This is an example of most of my other training methods.

Advertisement