Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

migrating to oz?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,looking for some advice, im thinking of moving to oz permanently,iv been working as a tiler in ireland for the last 5 years as with everyone work has dried up here.I have rang the visa agents here and they have told me I need to get my trade assesed as I have no papers the cost of this is €2500 and a furthur €4000 for a permanent visa which is a lot of money,I dont mind paying this if I am sure to have work. Looking for any info I can get on tiling work in oz at the moment to help me decide on this big move. any iformation greatfully appreciated thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

type critical skills list (csl) into google and you will get info. From what I remeber tilers were on the list but not sure for what areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have a look at this website

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Check the Immigration Threads for info on visas and the 'Barbie' for info on Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

tikka 28 wrote: »
    Hi,looking for some advice, im thinking of moving to oz permanently,iv been working as a tiler in ireland for the last 5 years as with everyone work has dried up here.I have rang the visa agents here and they have told me I need to get my trade assesed as I have no papers the cost of this is €2500 and a furthur €4000 for a permanent visa which is a lot of money,I dont mind paying this if I am sure to have work. Looking for any info I can get on tiling work in oz at the moment to help me decide on this big move. any iformation greatfully appreciated thanks!!!

Hi I remember a few positions being advertised for 1-3 (Apprentices) year tilers last summer in the paper I stopped looking after that.

Anyway chances are at present their will be work for Tilers, it was only in the news the other night that they where one of the few trades still in Demand. If its just you and your tilecutter I can imagine you could Buy a ute and go where the work is. However it gets harder once you have a wife or kids.

I personnally would not move to Oz just because I could not find work in Ireland, the housing market here is insanely propped up and their will be a slowdown. So advice you get here today is worth taking with a pinch of salt.

In essence if you want a complete change then by all means do it spend the cash on the Visa process (Which is long enough don't feel the need to tell folk your moving just yet).

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and Mandrake is right the BE site is a good site if you want to do this. I know for a fact there are a few tilers on it to.

If you are going to do it, bring $ and a decent amount to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Further to this I just asked my neighbour who is a Tradie and he reckons, yeah loads of work in Victoria at present for Tilers. However as I said at present is the key word.

Advertisement