Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAM explanation

• 10-09-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a noob question but here goes. If I purchases a receiver with built in Original CAMs for example Conax, Irdeto, Viaccess should they be ok to use indefinitely when satellite providers send out new viewing cards or will they eventully become obsolete. I was just thinking this because with your standard sky box they can issue a new card every so often with updated encryption but surely it still has to be compatible with the CAM in the box or am I missing something ? Is there downloads to keep the CAMs up to date or will a new one be required say if a Viaccess 4 was to appear ? Bit confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

*Usually* a firmware update for your box would make it compatible with a newer version of the card's encrpyption.

I guess it all depends on the after-sales support on offer for the box in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It is a Technomate TM-5400 off ebay. I think someone has added additional CAMs as I am sure it only comes with a conax CAM from the factory. So I dont think a firmware update would do it if some of them CAMs were not originally on the receiver.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah, the TM5400 can decrypt most cards these days.

It's similar to the one used in TM6900 and mine can open my Conax, Viaccess 3.0 and Seca cards. And Videoguard last time I checked (before Sky changed cards).

Advertisement