Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sniper School

• 11-09-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ok guys let me introduce ourselves we are Airsoft Sniper. We are a non profit small group setup to help new and existing players hone their sniper skills in many ways both as a lone sniper and as a sniper team consisting of sniper and two sniper scouts. We are based at H.R.T.A in Ballyboughal.
    We plan on teaching from the basics of camouflage,concealment,comms,hand signals for use with a sniper teams and much more. Before we give dates and days we need to see how many people would be interested. If this in the wrong area can the mods please move to the right area.

Kind Regards from all involved in Airsoft Sniper

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Maybe a list of your qualification in the field would be useful as im sure people would prefer to know who they are learning from and if the advice is any good., :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Airsoft_Sniper

At current you have lots of new players mostly of the call of duty kind join the airsoft community for a very brief time. The two of us involved in Airsoft Sniper have experience in the field but are aiming at these players to teach them a skill for the game in a non military way/style to help keep them in the sport or for experienced players who have thought of becoming a sniper but didnt know whats involved to try it. You dont need a sniper rifle to get involved as you could learn how to be support for a sniper/sniper scout. Also our aim is to get snipers to stop being used as cannon fodder in airsoft and use them for obsevation roles and area protection in other way/means already being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

At current you have lots of new players mostly of the call of duty kind join the airsoft community for a very brief time. The two of us involved in Airsoft Sniper have experience in the field but are aiming at these players to teach them a skill for the game in a non military way/style to help keep them in the sport or for experienced players who have thought of becoming a sniper but didnt know whats involved to try it. You dont need a sniper rifle to get involved as you could learn how to be support for a sniper/sniper scout. Also our aim is to get snipers to stop being used as cannon fodder in airsoft and use them for obsevation roles and area protection in other way/means already being used.

I think what Masada was trying to say is, where does your experience in the field come from? ex military sniper? law enforcement? book? TV? or just playing airsoft?

We are all regular players at sites thru out ireland some of us have experience due to our backround others have experience due to books and playing airsoft. i hope this answers your questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Well i suppose being an airsoft sniper is different to being a Real one, so in the gaming sense it may help some people, but as for hand signals, spotter, camo etc, I'd imagine actual military experience would help there.

But anyway best of luck with it, hope it generates some interest.

• Advertisement

That is why we have someone in Airsoft Sniper that has the qaulifications as mentioned earlier we will be doing this as a non profit group that is not involved with the IAA or IASRA also as for spotter training and hand signals that is the easy part of the training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

sounds good count me in as to when it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Not to get anyones back up, but I run classes myself (in something completely unrelated) and in my experience, if you want to be respected and run successfull endevours such as this, you need to answer peoples questions thoroughly and treat them with as much respect as you yourself would expect/appreciate.

From your posts, you haven't really answered peoples questions...it's like drawing blood from a stone (purely observational).

NOW...yes I'd be interested, as I love the role of sniper and would like to pick up some tips, however I would like some further information, mostly what Masada was looking for...i.e. where your knowledge comes from?

-What will you be teaching us and why?
    -Where did you (as a group) pick up the knowledge to be passed on?
    -How did you develop this way of teaching?

Thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to reading the response. all the best!

~Inari,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I don't mean to be a smartass, so please don't take offense......but who are you ? You mention you are a bunch of regular airsofters, so that being the case, you'll most likely be known to the community, even if only vaguely.

One way to let people know you are genuinely up to the task of teaching sniper skills is to let them know who you are, I would have thought ?

Sorry if that sounds negative - certainly not my intent. It's just kinda hard to ask the question without sounding negative or aggressive, and I dislike the way any new initiatives like this can faced with suspicion or outright hostility before it even gets off the ground. This sounds interesting - I'd love to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

I'm not interested in being sniper, it's not fun for me, so I've very little interest in your skills and abilities, but I wonder how do you overcome equipment limitations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

That's easy. By being quiet, patient, sneaky and hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Getting a bit tired of reading " We are a non-profit Airsoft medical team/Airsoft Sniper team/Mobile AEG service and upgradeTeam/Salsa Rumba dance Team"

Offering their services on boards or anywhere else for that fact. Keep it to the Sites HRTA, MAC etc. Offer it to the players AT the sites, this all just smacks of dodgy techniques, trumpet blowing and free advertising.

No aggressiveness intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

from what I read they are based in HRTA, but why was our name dragged into your little rant?? what has a sniper school got to do with M.A.C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I think he just mentioned your site as it's a suitable venue for sniping? In any case, indeed names would help the sniper school cause, you tend to know who's good at it and who's not

Stone.cold wrote: »
    from what I read they are based in HRTA, but why was our name dragged into your little rant?? what has a sniper school got to do with M.A.C

SEA-C, Cork Airsoft, G TAC, Rathbeggan, Predator, Airsoft Battle Zone, Red barn etc etc.

Untwist your knickers, I was speaking of ALL of the sites in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

No offense intended but i think you'd be doing a lot better by being direct and straightforward in answering the questions you're asked.Maybe its just me but from your vague, roundabout answers about your background and experience I get the impression that airsoft is the only experience you have. I may well be wrong so apoligies if so

knickers?? dude it was your rant, anyway they are based at a site the clearly said they were, so "keep it to a site"? and how are people supposed to know their there if they don't advertise? site's all over england advertise training in one form or another so where's the harm if they want to provide a service that's up to them at the end of the day and if it helps airsoft grow one step further more power to them.

we offer coach training and business development resources in addition to social network management services. It is an amazing gift that many coaches offer to the world and GCA helps coaches to build a framework for success.
    As coaches, we dive in, get the training but often without realizing that we are really running a business. Many coaches come to the frustrating and sometimes stressful realization
    that excellent coaching skills will not suffice. What was missing in the training was the critical elements of marketing and now you have no idea how to run
    a business, not to mention how to promote it, market it, or build a client base. The reality hits - you have no strategies in place and you feel lost. Marketing our
    expertise and ourselves is essential and very few earn a substantial living without these key fundamental objectives in the forefront.

^^^^^ ROFL I rest my case. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i was under the impression that military style 'training' was a bit of a no no in the republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Puding wrote: »
    i was under the impression that military style 'training' was a bit of a no no in the republic?

you mean like skirmishing?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you mean like skirmishing?

i would not laught i believe that argument has been used in the pasted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The Military training thing has been in law for a long time yet for years practical pistol was allowed, it never effected that so i would say its one of those laws that i think was originally implemented to combat paramilitaryism and wont have any effect on us. just my interpritation of it anyway. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Masada wrote: »
    The Military training thing has been in law for a long time yet for years practical pistol was allowed, it never effected that so i would say its one of those laws that i think was originally implemented to combat paramilitaryism and wont have any effect on us. just my interpritation of it anyway. :)

Which would be a good argument but Practical Pistol is effectively banned in Ireland now :(

The trick with these laws is differentiating that its Airsoft Sniper tactics not Sniper tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

so,,,,,,,,,,,,, who are you guys? am curious as ive never seen a proper sniper team (sniper & spotter) play in hrta :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Masada wrote: »

It's been brought up as recently as a few weeks ago in the Dail and the Seanad, and the IAA has been asked for statements many times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61575784#post61575784

We're not doing real military training, we're practising for a game where the maximum practical engagement distance you can achieve under the 1J limit is about 40 metres. It may look real, but it isn't.

See Airsoft Trajectory Project for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I must say this has some very large similarities to IAMC, in the way of the replies, the method in which this has been gone about, the body of the replies and questionable background to the group setting this up.

This may explain most people being skeptical, and seemingly Hostile towards the idea.

It's my reason anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If ever you applied airsoft style tactics to real combat, you'd be dead.

Pop out, shoot, be shot at, try to dodge REAL bullet as you can in airsoft, and whoops, I've a big hole in me!

Also, recoil, range, eugh everything pretty much, lol.

Airsoft is fun, but military training, it aint!

Firekitten wrote: »

Ice age, stonecold... Put the claws away, you're both grown men, and I like both of you... you both missed eachother's point, and I dont think its constructive atm to fight for the sake of it... I thought that was the politicians job?

FK you dont even know me? people that know me dont like me, and as for fighting for the sake of it, firstly people how live in glass houses & secondly, i am merely pointing out that everytime something new comes on here its attacked for no reason by someone, its gets a little old after a while constructive criticism is one thing but an out right attack on something new is just pointless especially when the rant hits out at a point that the op said clearly stated

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »
    Fine, I dont like you, happy?

As for your point, you're quite right actually... The Elitism on Boards is disgusting to be bruitally honest.... I'm all for seeing what the OP has in mind... I just dont think pointless squabbling between two long standing members is helping anything.
    your relatively new to boards FK myself and iceage have been squabbling a long time it kinda of goes with the territory now but its never pointless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Sperminator

ok first of all let me say sorry for not getting on to this earlier. i am one of the persons that will be running the airsoft sniper school. the idea behind this is to try and make airsoft more fun for those who use sniper airsoft rifles. i have over the last year seen many persons going into shops and buying sniper rifles then going to a site and not enjoying the game as many of the games are not based around snipers, and for this reason many don't come back to play.
    so the aim of the school or club is to get persons interested in sniping and to bring there experence and to teach it to other persons who may be just beginning to play or have played for a long time.
    we are hoping to create games that challange snipers, and to teach the basics of hiding and moving and working in with a team.
    nothing has yet been set and the purpose of this tread is to find out if there is any interest in the idea. as i say earlier i will be running the classes but that does'nt make think that i know everything about sniping as i want this to run as a teacher/leaner envoiriment, so that everybody has there say. you can not teach military sniping as this would breach the current laws of the land. i just want to make the game more fun for those of us who wish to snipe. i hope this helps to clear things up.

Hmmm, could rake this over and over really, its a case of read the OP's posts isn't it. Anyway, Trevor lets bury this hachet shall we...I've met you.

Mike offers a handshake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I think people are disappointed by airsoft sniping because it's not like hollywoodland, there's no rolling in wearing aviators looking cool, it's not call of duty 4 shooting n00bs, no 1 mile away headshot, no epic half hour kill fest. It requires patience, skill and good tactics. Must give sniping a go sometime, i'm sure it'll be epic fail on my part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Sounds much better than the original mystery fest.

A teacher learner environment eh? Hire liamo or Neil for a day and see how many heads turn up, I know its non profit but maybe work something out with them lads, or any well known airsoft sniper/general sneaky feck.

A day catering to a bunch of noobs and a few dab hands at sniping, with plenty of sniper oriented games?

Sounds class, I'd go and all.

Sounds much better than the original mystery fest.

A teacher learner environment eh? Hire liamo or Neil for a day and see how many heads turn up, I know its non profit but maybe work something out with them lads, or any well known airsoft sniper/general sneaky feck.

A day catering to a bunch of noobs and a few dab hands at sniping, with plenty of sniper oriented games?

Sounds class, I'd go and all.

Your more than welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭SenDog

Same, id like to give it a go

SenDog wrote: »
    Same, id like to give it a go

cool:D any more takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I might do it...

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I might do it...

if this keeps up we'll need a bigger site,LOL. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TallaHead

Im comin with my cammo tanktop and mirrored aviators, black us army ranger boots, and a plastic airsoft rifle, gona glue grass all over myself so i can stealthily hunt down my target with cat-like accuracy, then im gona go home to my reality that is call of duty and play that all night as i dream of actually gunning another human being down. I want to be in the game, i want a plastic MP40 so i can dart around a mountain field in dublin pretending to be an armyman. I want to be mad like the armyman i saw on the tv the other day.

Good god these people are ridiculously sad. Sniper School? Grow f*cking well up man.

• Advertisement

yeah its a game or hobby get over yourself dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TallaHead

Yeah grow up man, ridiculous.

TallaHead wrote: »
    Im comin with my cammo tanktop and mirrored aviators, black us army ranger boots, and a plastic airsoft rifle, gona glue grass all over myself so i can stealthily hunt down my target with cat-like accuracy, then im gona go home to my reality that is call of duty and play that all night as i dream of actually gunning another human being down. I want to be in the game, i want a plastic MP40 so i can dart around a mountain field in dublin pretending to be an armyman. I want to be mad like the armyman i saw on the tv the other day.

Good god these people are ridiculously sad. Sniper School? Grow f*cking well up man.

It's your opinion and I would respect it, if you voiced it in a more respectable manner, you may not like airsoft, but it doesn't mean you can bash it like that. I don't like football, but loads of my friends play and I listen when they talk about it and respect their opinions, I'd appreciate if you did the same.
    Gerard.

i have to agree with ya lefty but for some reason i smell a new forum troll being tallahead lets not feed em :)

Not my intent to feed him, just letting him know my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

If theres actually something behind this then yeah I'd be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

TallaHead - Banned for abuse.

i was asked a few weeks ago to get involved as sperminator said we want to try and get the sniper to be used in other ways than they are at the moment there is more that snipers can do in airsoft and basically people are not thinking on how they can be used in game

I need to clear up two small points:

1. Now that the aims (see what I did there:)) of this plan are more clear, I'm quite happy with it. Game tactics are fine to practice, and I might even drop in with my SSG some time.

2. The 40m figure a) wasn't mine, it's from the Airsoft Trajectory Project, and b) I thought I was I was very clear about it being the maximum effective range under the 1J limit.

Best of luck, Spermy. Mind your knee.

definatly drop in anytime oz ya know your always welcome :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement