Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Parking

Options
  • 11-09-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Ok so over the Summer break there was a new car park added beside the Aula but it's a pay and display car park and the car park beside the canteen has been resurfaced but has also been designated as a pay and display car park. What do ye fellow students think of this? I have to say I think it's daft, have they not seen how hard it is to get a space after 9am and after lunch at 2pm. Students are definitely not going to park in these areas, and I would be surprised if staff do.
    So why make it pay and display? It's got to be the worst decision ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was a class rep last year, and at the start of the year, we were told that a car parking committee would be formed and that they'd need some class reps to volunteer for it.

I was planning to volunteer to join this, but unfortunately we never heard anything about it after that.

The thing is - as a local Sligo resident - I happen to be aware that a large proportion of hospital visitors/patients used to use the IT car park for free rather than paying the extortionate rates charged at the hospital. If the IT were to issue all student/staff car owners with a free permit, the problem would be greatly reduced in my opinion. I did get in touch with the student union in relation to this, but never heard back from them.

I don't know what they're charging for pay-and-display in the IT this year, but chances are it's less than what's being charged in the hospital, so the problem will probably still be there to some extent. I suppose whoever's running the IT carpark won't mind, as long as they're making money off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

But there is still free car parks for them to park in. I'm also a local Sligo resident and have noticed the same problem. If I'm starting college at 11 in the morning and the free part is full like hell am I going to pay to park there for the day, I'm broke enough as it is been a student.

I have also thought of a free parking permit,when I was in college in NUIG I just had to produce ownership of the car and my college ID to get a free parking permit, obviously NUIG is on a much bigger scale to Sligo I.T but what's stopping the I.T from having a permit operation.

Advertisement