Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After bias

Options
  • 11-09-2009 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

The Lisbon Treaty is dead. We had a fair referendum the last time and the answer was no. For some to be suggesting that we should overturn that result after what has happened is frankly insulting, in my opinion anyway. I would have voted no in any event. Funny thing is I still haven’t heard the arguments made that I would have put forward. However, I’m not going to make those arguments now, least I give cover to those who aren’t man or woman enough to accept their fate.

To Fianna Fail the only thing that needs to be said is: Planning permission has been revoked. Time to disappear from the Irish political map.

I would like my privacy to be respected. Of course certain people will do their worst. But at least now the Irish people are resolved that these types won’t be running the country when they’re doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Is this a blog entry? Come on, you can do better than this. Leaving open for the moment to see if this generates any debate, but not holding out much hope.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

The Lisbon Treaty is dead. We had a fair referendum the last time and the answer was no. For some to be suggesting that we should overturn that result after what has happened is frankly insulting, in my opinion anyway. I would have voted no in any event. Funny thing is I still haven’t heard the arguments made that I would have put forward. However, I’m not going to make those arguments now, least I give cover to those who aren’t man or woman enough to accept their fate.

To Fianna Fail the only thing that needs to be said is: Planning permission has been revoked. Time to disappear from the Irish political map.

I would like my privacy to be respected. Of course certain people will do their worst. But at least now the Irish people are resolved that these types won’t be running the country when they’re doing it.

It will take at least a decade if not a whole lot more to recover from the gombeen men that we have allowed to run this country.

I will vote no, but will feel no disappointment whatsoever if the yes side succeed after using every main political party against a side with no representation.

If the no vote wins then we will be blamed at every turn for the calamity that is about to befall this country, none of it will be true at all. The result of this vote will have no effect on the economy that is doomed to collapse completely.

I said at the peak of the celtic tiger that this period would go down in history as one of the most disgraceful in our history as an independent state. If the yes vote wins we can smile as we watch the meltdown taking place and the yesmen will have no-one to blame.

Voting no,:pac: is a no lose situtation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

yawn

Our constitution says we can vote.
    Our constitution says we can also vote again.

and just yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

meglome wrote: »
    yawn

Our constitution says we can vote.
    Our constitution says we can also vote again.

and just yawn.

wake up!
    our constitution says we can vote a zillion times if we want!
    why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

wake up!
    why?

Because way back in the 1930s, the Oireachtas proposed such a constitution and the people of Ireland approved it in a democratic referendum. But, of course, why should we respect that democratic decision of the electorate since it inconveniences our No side today?

• Advertisement

wake up!
    why?

Just to add to view above.

The point is you can't have it both ways. Our constitution gives us the right to have referenda but also sets no limit on the number of those referenda. I've never seen anyone campaigning to have this changed, have you?

How is having more democratic votes not more democratic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Just to add to view above.

The point is you can't have it both ways. Our constitution gives us the right to have referenda but also sets no limit on the number of those referenda. I've never seen anyone campaigning to have this changed, have you?

How is having more democratic votes not more democratic?

Any minute now some No poster is going to claim the electorate were biased in favour of the Yes to Lisbon campaign when they approved the constitution in the 1930s... :)

View wrote: »
    Any minute now some No poster is going to claim the electorate were biased in favour of the Yes to Lisbon campaign when they approved the constitution in the 1930s... :)

I heard God was biased against the No campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I heard God was biased against the No campaign.

well the Church are supporting Lisbon

so that puts Coir in a difficult spot no? ;)

anyways i couldnt care whos side god is on, most people are quite secular nowadays, there are better reasons to vote YES than having god on your side

religion and politics dont mix, and when they do it gets ugly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

ei.sdraob wrote:
    anyways i couldnt care whos side god is on

I'm on the no side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

O'Morris wrote: »
    I'm on the no side.

you are not god

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The Constitution conferred our right to have the first referendum.
    The Constitution conferred the governments right to have the second.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I will vote no, but will feel no disappointment whatsoever if the yes side succeed after using every main political party against a side with no representation.

I don't understand this. It sounds like you are describing the Yes side as some entity outside the Irish political scene. The Yes side is the Irish political scene.

The No side does have some political representation, but most representation is on the Yes side, simply because that is who the public have voted for. Just a few months ago the public had another opportunity to elect anti-Lisbon MEPs... and it went from for/against 11/2 to 11/1, which seems pretty clear.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 assetmadman

[FONT=&quot]I repeat. The Lisbon Treaty is dead.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Myself, I suspect that anyone showing divided loyalties at this time, who might seem to be serving two masters and not putting their country first, after what has happened, will not be easily forgiven (most of all, for not having the kop on to realise this).[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

[font=&quot]I repeat. The Lisbon Treaty is dead.[/font]

[font=&quot]Myself, I suspect that anyone showing divided loyalties at this time, who might seem to be serving two masters and not putting their country first, after what has happened, will not be easily forgiven (most of all, for not having the kop on to realise this).[/font]

Hmmmm. looks at Martin Ferris!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

[FONT=&quot]I repeat. The Lisbon Treaty is dead.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Myself, I suspect that anyone showing divided loyalties at this time, who might seem to be serving two masters and not putting their country first, after what has happened, will not be easily forgiven (most of all, for not having the kop on to realise this).[/FONT]

So 27% of the electorate voted no to Lisbon but it's dead cause you say so?

Divided loyalties? I'm wondering how many times my sense of nationalism can be insulted before it's really gonna piss me off.

Why would anyone object to a little advice? I suppose to be in a position to offer it must be it's own reward.

Only advise. The good people who've put in the time should decide the issue, as far as possible, as if this had never happened. No to bias should mean no to bias.

[FONT=&quot]I was out for a while and there was something very very strange. Things upside-down! [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Am I seeing straight? Or what is the country coming to at all?[/FONT]

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Madness this way lies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement