Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Food in Westport/Achill/Killary

Options
  • 11-09-2009 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

OK fellow foodies--the in laws arrive tomorrow for a one week holiday here in Ireland and we're off to the Wesht for the weekend: Westport, Achill and Killary. Does anyone have any recommendations for tasty although not fussy food around there? Parents in law are not veggie but into fresh, good food where all dishes don't automatically come with chips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I cant remember if he changed the name or not but the lemon Peel in Westport is the best restraunt ive ever been in..

If you like your sea food the Quay cottage out the quay in Westport is the best ever.. the fish pretty much comes in that day off the boats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Thanks for that. A google search throws up only very good things indeed about the Lemon Peel, so it's going directly onto the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

If you like indian foodstuffs, try the Everest restaurant in Westport. Nepalese/Indian cuisine, the nepalese curries are to die for. :D It's in an old church, right next to the canal. (South Mall, I think)

Also, for Achill Island - try the Bervie (http://www.bervieachill.com/food.htm). Fantastic food, looks like a lovely B&B also (I haven't stayed there, only eaten).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cabot's source in westport, all their produce is sourced locally and is organic

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Hey, Nevins Bar & restaurant is very good for food and great view over the coast: http://www.discoverireland.com/us/accommodation/listings/product/?fid=FI_42400

Its at mulranny on the main road on way to Achill Island - I always stop there coming back from achill.

• Advertisement

Fantastic recommendations everyone! I will report back after the weekend as to the eating out West!

I wanted to get back to this. In general, I was VERY disappointed with the standard of food we got and the pricing thereof, which seems really disproportionate to the quality and/or quantity. First of all it was generally difficult to find anywhere that didn't serve EVERYTHING with chips--imagine my delight when, in the EXCELLENT Lemon Peel in Westport (recommended above) I heard the waitress tell someon they don't serve chips! YAY! I am not going to focus on bad meals, of which there were many, but on the two good ones.

The first was in the Lemon Peel. I must really recommend this. OH got a goats cheese starter that was divine and came with an especially impressive red pepper sauce. There was also a great crba cake. In laws both got Thai green curry that was hot but not over chillied--back of the throat remained sound! I had the special of the night--turbot with excellent mashed potatoes and lovely autumn veg. The fish was excellent and there was piles of it! Desserts were very good deconstructed banoffi and an exellent chocolate melting pudding. Over all a superb meal...the food certainly outdoes the premises themselves, which are slightly off putting. There is no way I would have gone in without the recommendation here, and I think if the decor matched both the prices and the quality of food the place would be a gold mine. It was full though, which is good news.

The second good meal was in a little village on the way from Knock to Dublin. Don't even know what it's called. Into the only eatery at lunchtime--a place called the Corner Place, I think. OH had an excellent chicken curry. Father in law had fish and chips that were delicious and the chips--JOY OF JOYS---were obviously real, homemade chips. Me and Mother in Law both had bacon and cabbage. A little mean on the cabbage but an excellent white sauce (again, obviously home made) and very good mashed potatoes and bacon. With more cabbage I'd have been in the deepest recesses of heaven. As it was, I was already just past the gates.

The other culinary delights--or at least, taste sensations if not 'culinary' in the strict sense--were a lovely creamy 99 on Trá Mhór on Achill and the always excellent scones, tea and jam in Kylemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hope you didn't eat in the Shebeen, was embarrassed to see it make list of recommended pubs again this year. Ate there two years ago and it was worst meal ever. Cold chicken wings with gloopy sauce, soup that could literally be turned upside down and not come out of the bowl. It was dreadful beyond compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

just back from a w end in westport,only ate in 1 restaurant over the 3 days and that was the restaurant in the westport plaza,have eaten in a lot of top restaurants in dublin and this in my opinion was up there with most of them,considering the price was €29 for 2 courses this was really good value,we will be going back

Advertisement