Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of Declan Ganley

Options
  • 11-09-2009 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

As requested by Nesf

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574404643114251588.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

Declan Ganley announces his return to the campaign trail to oppose Lisbon 2.

My opinion, he's adding nothing new in the way of argumentd and it might be a bit late for him to put that respectable polish on the no campaign that he put on it last time. If I remember correctly he was already well into campaigning across the country by the time the yes campaign just started putting itself together.

This time though Coir has beaten him to the punch as the media focus by being first out the door. Though I am curious as to why its the Wall Street Journal that breaks this news first, it just seems rather strange.

I know FutureTaoiseach might feel he will give the no campaign the middle ground it so desperatly needs at the moment but I think he has lost a bit of his sheen from last time and the libertas fiasco, regardless of numbers was not a good press when it failed to amount to anything substantial.

And like I said he's not bringing anything new to the debate in the way of perspective, his complaints are obviously firstly false (he wrongly makes claims of article 48 giving EU carte blanche to amending itself.) and he's taking the same *its undemocratic stance* as all the other no campaigners, granted its a populist position thats easy to sell.

Course we will just have to wait and see what he does tomorrow, it seems FT has the inside track on this so I expect he will keep us informed. All I know is I'll be getting more hate mail on my youtube account.

On a side note does this mean all his money issues that were rumoured post european elections have been sorted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

If you mean SIPO, they seem to have given Libertas a clean bill of health, calling the funding a "bona-fide loan" (July 11th Irish Times)
    Meanwhile, it said the €200,000 loan by businessman Declan Ganley would “seem to indicate that it is a bona fide loan”. Libertas, it said, provided a copy of the loan agreement and confirmed it did not receive any other loans.The Lisbon referendum last year highlighted “significant weaknesses” in the laws governing the activities of third-party organisations in such campaigns. Groups that spend €5,000 on a campaign should be “required to show how their campaign” was funded, while limits on the type and amount of donations would apply. The commission welcomed the Government’s intention to stiffen rules governing the involvement of such organisations in referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

no I meant all the money he sank into libertas for the european elections, didnt some of the party elements in the continent come out saying he hasnt paid them or something?

link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0612/1224248690587.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

This will add some much needed balance to this political fiasco that is called a "debate"

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she's still clearing her throat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

This will add some much needed balance to this political fiasco that is called a "debate"

It didnt last time.

Nor did it any at the european elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Looks like COIR have realised they're a drug on the market, and have wheeled out their 'respectable' front man.

So much for his promise of only 10 weeks ago not to campaign in Lisbon 2 if he wasn't elected.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Looks like COIR have realised they're a drug on the market, and have wheeled out their 'respectable' front man.

So much for his promise of only 10 weeks ago not to campaign in Lisbon 2 if he wasn't elected.

amused,
    Scofflaw

But 10 weeks is a long time in politics Scofflaw, or are you new to politics?
    The next few weeks will be very interesting to say the least. Ganley has no connection to COIR whatsoever, but keep up the allegations, they are funny.:pac:

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It didnt last time.

Nor did it any at the european elections.

You don't think he will make a difference?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    no I meant all the money he sank into libertas for the european elections, didnt some of the party elements in the continent come out saying he hasnt paid them or something?

link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0612/1224248690587.html
    John McGuirk told me a few seconds ago following correspondance from me that the Dutch issue is settled and the money paid. I really want to show you a placard they've coming up with but I have promised to wait. Let's just say that it's inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

John McGuirk told me a few seconds ago following correspondance from me that the Dutch issue is settled and the money paid. I really want to show you a placard they've coming up with but I have promised to wait. Let's just say that it's inspired.

I have a serious question which maybe you can answer for me. Is the information on this poster actually true?

Because honestly I've never seen a campaign that has so many dirty tricks in it outside of an American one.

meglome wrote: »
    I have a serious question which maybe you can answer for me. Is the information on this poster actually true?

Because honestly I've never seen a campaign that has so many dirty tricks in it outside of an American one.
    In my opinion it is true. It's actually a very large placard not a poster.

The launch is Sunday btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

so much for all the NO siders saying

"at least Declan can take no for an answer"

rofl

hypocrisy and lying, that pretty much sums up the no campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

In my opinion it is true.

So that's a no then.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the scary prediction on this poster could possibly happen if you assume that the EU is run by evil people who spend all their time trying to steal Irish freedom and fish but otherwise won't. Am I close?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm going to hazard a guess that the scary prediction on this poster could possibly happen if you assume that the EU is run by evil people who spend all their time trying to steal Irish freedom and fish but otherwise won't.
    Declan Ganley thinks we're gollums? Scarily close to the 'giant lizard' theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

good to see him involved - sure he said he wouldnt get involved if he wasnt elected but so wat - the gov said they the "respected" the no vote - glad to see him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

OP. What Ganley said at end of August in a broadsheet. So no return for Ganley in other words!

No plans, I gave it my best. If there's a 'No', with the cross-party 'leadership' we have in Ireland they'll just make us 'vote' again anyway," he wrote on the online discussion forum Twitter. "In short, no plans to be involved, waste of time."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/return-to-lisbon-fight-a-waste-of-time--ganley-1873522.html

Keewee6 wrote: »
    good to see him involved - sure he said he wouldnt get involved if he wasnt elected but so wat - the gov said they the "respected" the no vote - glad to see him back

they did respect the note vote, researched why people voted the way they did

and went back to eu to renegotiate and get agreements

Declan on the other hand had a pissy fit because, people not elected him, and then decided to ask for a recount which ended up proving that even less people voted for him

spot the difference!

the government are doing what people elected them to do

Libertas are unelected are doing what their military connections are telling them to do

which part of the word "democracy" do you not understand?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    they did respect the note vote, researched why people voted the way they did

and went back to eu to renegotiate and get agreements

Declan on the other hand had a pissy fit because, people not elected him, and then decided to ask for a recount which ended up proving that even less people voted for him

spot the difference!

the government are doing what people elected them to do

Libertas are unelected are doing what their military connections are telling them to do

which part of the word "democracy" do you not understand?

and he is entitled to "change his mind" wouldnt you agree - great to see him back - if it was "democracy" it should have being re run in "ALL" do u "get it"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ganley's big advantage the last time was that he got a free five month run at it to promote Libertas. He also had the good fortune to have a political establishment that didn't feel the need to campaign and used Lisbon as a photo op. With three weeks to go, getting a campaign launched and having a major impact is questionable especially as he is coming into it at a time when there are a considerable number of opponents who will relish debunking his position.

As they say about politics, all careers end in failure and Ganley really should have listened. Last year he was a new voice , now he's merely a failed election candidate.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ganley's big advantage the last time was that he got a free five month run at it to promote Libertas. He also had the good fortune to have a political establishment that didn't feel the need to campaign and used Lisbon as a photo op. With three weeks to go, getting a campaign launched and having a major impact is questionable especially as he is coming into it at a time when there are a considerable number of opponents who will relish debunking his position.

As they say about politics, all careers end in failure and Ganley really should have listened. Last year he was a new voice , now he's merely a failed election candidate.
    Again. What Ganley said about coming back.
    No plans, I gave it my best. If there's a 'No', with the cross-party 'leadership' we have in Ireland they'll just make us 'vote' again anyway," he wrote on the online discussion forum Twitter. "In short, no plans to be involved, waste of time."

Again. What Ganley said about coming back.

Is there a point to repeating something you've already posted at the top of the page, which incidentally has nothing to do with what I posted?

• Advertisement

and he is entitled to "change his mind" wouldnt you agree - great to see him back

his entitled to do whatever he pleases (within law of course)

but this just shows that his word means ****

btw have they still got around to publishing Libertas policies? its been 2-3 months after EU elections since their website promised to provide policies

not only do they not have policies but now we all know they cant be trusted in anything they say

same with the gov as far as im concerned

the gov said they the "respected" the no vote

*facepalm*

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is there a point to repeating something you've already posted at the top of the page, which incidentally has nothing to do with what I posted?
    Yes there is. Ganley has stated he is not entering campaign. And made a vow that if he did not get a mandate from people in Euro elections he would bow out of Lisbon two debate (link below one of many). See no point of continuing this thread as it merely putting up a mis truth which "some" yes Campaigners have accused No campaign of.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8088699.stm

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    *facepalm*

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    his entitled to do whatever he pleases (within law of course)

but this just shows that his word means ****

btw have they still got around to publishing Libertas policies? its been 2-3 months after EU elections since their website promised to provide policies

not only do they not have policies but now we all know they cant be trusted in anything they say

IIRC, it was like that for a couple of months before the EU Elections. They'll probably just do a cut and paste job, like Higgins does!
    Yes there is. Ganley has stated he is not entering campaign. And made a vow that if he did not get a mandate from people in Euro elections he would bow out of Lisbon two debate (link below one of many). See no point of continuing this thread as it merely putting up a mis truth which "some" yes Campaigners have accused No campaign of.

Great to see the No side wriggling! :p

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And let me repeat. My comments have nothing to do with any of this. I've seen posts of yours on another thread where you decry the wholesale labelling of all No voters. It works both ways. As regards my post it would have been nice if you'd actually read what I wrote and not lump it in with your perception of this thread.

as it merely putting up a mis truth which "some" yes Campaigners have accused No campaign of.

I'd say that all yes campaigners have accused "some" of the no campaigners of lying. If they actually believed all of the stuff every no campaigner said and were still yes campaigners, I'd question their sanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

This article is remarkable :http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574404643114251588.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

No mention whatsoever of the word 'Libertas' or the fact that he ran and lost on the European elections. How could a respected publication make such an oversight?

• Advertisement

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    This article is remarkable :http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574404643114251588.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

No mention whatsoever of the word 'Libertas' or the fact that he ran and lost on the European elections. How could a respected publication make such an oversight?
    Sorry no mention of Ganley returning here. And if he had it would have been all over the front pages given his declaration to stay out of Lisbon two campaing after failing to win seat in last Euro elections. Anyone any other links?

Advertisement