Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of Declan Ganley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sorry no mention of Ganley returning here. And if he had it would have been all over the front pages given his declaration to stay out of Lisbon two campaing after failing to win seat in last Euro elections. Anyone any other links?

I would take FutureTaoiseach's word on it if he said that Ganley was going to be involved or not. I would trust that he would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I would take FutureTaoiseach's word on it if he said that Ganley was going to be involved or not. I would trust that he would know.
    He gave an interview to Wall Street Journal. Thats not campaigning. He gave an interview and Twitter picked up on it. But he also said on same pages that he was enjoying life as a private citizen in small box accompanying panel.
    To best of my knowledge interview was not picked up in Irish papers probably given that since he has not put forward his name as anti No lobbyist it probably cant be carried as it might duly influence the vote.
    link below anyway
    http://faduda.ie/?p=1784

He gave an interview to Wall Street Journal. Thats not campaigning. He gave an interview and Twitter picked up on it. But he also said on same pages that he was enjoying life as a private citizen in small box accompanying panel.
    To best of my knowledge interview was not picked up in Irish papers probably given that since he has not put forward his name as anti No lobbyist it probably cant be carried as it might duly influence the vote.
    link below anyway
    http://faduda.ie/?p=1784

If FT says he is in or out, I will believe him, that's all I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can't see him getting anywhere near the exposure he had last time out - which was substantial. He's nothing more than a curio at this stage and I'd wager a lot of producers would question the merit of him appearing on any panels.

If FT says he is in or out, I will believe him, that's all I've said.
    Yes but what im saying that if he is in why would he give an interview to that publication where probably no one or not that many would see it. Either he wants to get his message across or not. Have you seen any libertas or Ganley posters about?

• Advertisement

Yes but what im saying that if he is in why would he give an interview to that publication where probably no one or not that many would see it. Either he wants to get his message across or not. Have you seen any libertas or Ganley posters about?

FT stated yesterday that the Libertas campaign was going to be starting up today.

I asked if DG was going to be involved and FT said he 'thinks so'.
    I think so yes. Maybe not on the same scale as before. But they have big placards and I have a picture of one, but I've been asked to wait till the launch so I will. Shock and awe and all. ;)

FT stated yesterday that the Libertas campaign was going to be starting up today.

I asked if DG was going to be involved and FT said he 'thinks so'.
    Well its hearsay at the moment. And very surprised no one has picked up on it. I would have thought Ganley would have had to notify EU of his intentions. And that media would then get a list of various yes and No campaigns.
    For Ganley to enter at this late stage having stated his intention not to put his name fortune following his Euro election would make him look very stupid. He said on numerous occasions that he would stand by what happened in Euro elections. He had no mandate. he accepted that. What seems to be the implication now is he ignoring the lack of mandate to run a shot gun campaign with three weeks to go.

Out of curiosity FT, what's the difference between a 'big placard' and a poster?

Are we going to be treated to a full billboard Libertas advertising campaign again?

If so I shall look forward to contacting the ASAI for any 'inaccuracies' which might accidentally slip in...

Well its hearsay at the moment. And very surprised no one has picked up on it. I would have thought Ganley would have had to notify EU of his intentions. And that media would then get a list of various yes and No campaigns.
    For Ganley to enter at this late stage having stated his intention not to put his name fortune following his Euro election would make him look very stupid. He said on numerous occasions that he would stand by what happened in Euro elections. He had no mandate. he accepted that. What seems to be the implication now is he ignoring the lack of mandate to run a shot gun campaign with three weeks to go.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    How could a respected publication make such an oversight?

a brown enevelope full of €$£$€'s ;)

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    And let me repeat. My comments have nothing to do with any of this. I've seen posts of yours on another thread where you decry the wholesale labelling of all No voters. It works both ways. As regards my post it would have been nice if you'd actually read what I wrote and not lump it in with your perception of this thread.
    To quote
    "Ganley's big advantage the last time was that he got a free five month run at it to promote Libertas. He also had the good fortune to have a political establishment that didn't feel the need to campaign and used Lisbon as a photo op. With three weeks to go, getting a campaign launched and having a major impact is questionable especially as he is coming into it at a time when there are a considerable number of opponents who will relish debunking his position.

As they say about politics, all careers end in failure and Ganley really should have listened. Last year he was a new voice , now he's merely a failed election candidate."

He gave an interview to a foreign trade magazine. Dont think thats constitutes as campaigning.
    All that was reported in Indo (via twitter) was that he thought to campaign again would be a waste of time.
    And I have not seen his remarks from Wall Street magazine being reprinted for reasons stated in previous post.
    So to sum up, Ganley is not part of this campaign.

will we get to see who is paying for it this time around?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    will we get to see who is paying for it this time around?
    Sorry Ganley is not part of the campaign. Maybe Libertas (perhapssomeone can post up some street posters of Libertas campaign if indeed they are up and running).
    Know Higgins has posters up in Dublin but not everywhere. Coir posters up everywhere and I know one of those posters were used in last campaign too. Dont know what the rules are about using same posters but i assume they can be recycled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Sorry Ganley is not part of the campaign. Maybe Libertas (perhapssomeone can post up some street posters of Libertas campaign if indeed they are up and running).
    Know Higgins has posters up in Dublin but not everywhere. Coir posters up everywhere and I know one of those posters were used in last campaign too. Dont know what the rules are about using same posters but i assume they can be recycled.
    Newstalk are carrying the story in their news bulletins that he's back "leading" a campaign against Lisbon. They were low on details, and there's every chance they're misinformed as well, but the story is definitely growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To quote
    "Ganley's big advantage the last time was that he got a free five month run at it to promote Libertas. He also had the good fortune to have a political establishment that didn't feel the need to campaign and used Lisbon as a photo op. With three weeks to go, getting a campaign launched and having a major impact is questionable especially as he is coming into it at a time when there are a considerable number of opponents who will relish debunking his position.

As they say about politics, all careers end in failure and Ganley really should have listened. Last year he was a new voice , now he's merely a failed election candidate."

He gave an interview to a foreign trade magazine. Dont think thats constitutes as campaigning.
    All that was reported in Indo (via twitter) was that he thought to campaign again would be a waste of time.
    And I have not seen his remarks from Wall Street magazine being reprinted for reasons stated in previous post.

This is just a commentary on the possible news of Ganley's involvement and offering my own perspective on that possibility. Nowhere do I say that he will be part of it but I certainly do speculate on the wisdom of it.

Newstalk are carrying the story in their news bulletins that he's back "leading" a campaign against Lisbon. They were low on details, and there's every chance they're misinformed as well, but the story is definitely growing.
    Yes reporter on One O Clock news says there were no developments on No Side today. Like you said it might develop during the day. Would be a huge story if Ganley re-entered the debate but no point talking about it until we get some concrete confirmation on main bulletins later.

Yes reporter on One O Clock news says there were no developments on No Side today. Like you said it might develop during the day. Would be a huge story if Ganley re-entered the debate but no point talking about it until we get some concrete confirmation on main bulletins later.

Quite often the news breaks on sites like boards.ie, because it has such a diverse cast of characters contributing. For instance FT is involved with Libertas (to what extent, I don't know), and will likely know the story before it is 'officially' announced, on the main news channels or papers.

There's nothing inherently wrong about speculating whether Ganley will or won't return, or even discussing what that event would mean.

Quite often the news breaks on sites like boards.ie, because it has such a diverse cast of characters contributing. For instance FT is involved with Libertas (to what extent, I don't know), and will likely know the story before it is 'officially' announced, on the main news channels or papers.

There's nothing inherently wrong about speculating whether Ganley will or won't return, or even discussing what that event would mean.

tinfoil hat on ...

what if "FutureTaoiseach" is*Ganley himself :eek:

the guy has some serious aspirations ;)

... tinfoil hat off

i didnt know FT was involved with them, i like his posts here as he knows how to debate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

no this appeared first on politics.ie., they broke it not boards

skelliser wrote: »

aint the head guy running that site involved with Libertas

• Advertisement

Politics.ie is very much a 'site like boards.ie', unless I'm mistaken, certainly they both appear to use vBulletin software and be little more than a collection of fora...

tinfoil hat on ...

what if "FutureTaoiseach" is*Ganley himself :eek:

the guy has some serious aspirations ;)

... tinfoil hat off

i didnt know FT was involved with them, i like his posts here as he knows how to debate

I would say he knows how to avoid questions, answer questions with more questions, answer questions no one asked, muddy waters, throw red herrings, shift goalposts, construct straw-men, construct elaborate logical fallacies and change the subject when he's caught in a corner.

So, yeah, I guess he could be Ganley...

dont think so, on an aside p.ie existed well before libertas
    and i think FT or journo broke it over there

anyways this should be a great laugh, even tho hes a fascist imo and i reluctantly gave him a preference based on a protest vote/hurt ff vote in the euros i welcome his return.
    You have to admit he can go toe to toe with the best ff throw at him as opposed to those coir idiots.

You have to admit the next few weeks are gonna be great craic. The amount of mudslinging from each side is gonna but american politics/dirty tricks to shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Bayviewclose two things

1. This thread is an offshoot of a discussion in the lisbon how you will vote thread, where FT announced declan ganley's return, we had the same *no its bullsh*t* comments as you. But Nesf asked us to move the discussion to another thread. So the topic sort of moved beyond that stage and unless some more news came out giving the bullsh*t radar some more information, we are discussing this taking FT's word. If it turns out false the only one to suffer from it will be FT.

2. I expressed the same doubts you did over the wall street journel being the first to break any news on it
    me wrote:
    Though I am curious as to why its the Wall Street Journal that breaks this news first, it just seems rather strange.

So its not that I am taking everything at face value.

Anyway it seems the date has been pushed back to sunday for the return according to FT so we can either continue to hypothises or simply wait til then.

well the libertas site is down so something is up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Used to be I think...

You have to admit the next few weeks are gonna be great craic. The amount of mudslinging from each side is gonna but american politics/dirty tricks to shame!

If that's the case the shame will be all ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I think it's unlikely Ganley's return will have much of an impact. As far as I can tell, fewer people are being conned by the abortion/neutrality/taxation red herrings this time round, and if he's just going to go down the 'Vote No to save democracy from the EU!' route he'll essentially be lumped in with Cóir and UKIP and the like. This is assuming, of course, Cóir and UKIP's campaigns won't have any significant impact, which I'd hope they won't.

I also doubt people will be as inclined to take them seriously after they basically just sank out of sight after the last referendum and the European Parliament elections.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

well the libertas site is down so something is up

So down means up? How very Libertas.

• Advertisement

well there is a suggestion over on p.ie from a poster who claims to be a journalist that the response on the doorstep form canvassers has been a pretty sturn no, in the major cites.
    This is probably in lower class areas who dont bother voting on the day anyway.

It would be interesting to have a thread on canvassers responses so far here

libertas.ie is down, libertas.eu seems to be working fine, strange

Advertisement