Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to set up partition for linux/windows

• 11-09-2009 5:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to see if this would be okay or should it be done another way. 1.5Tb drive
    Linux Mint
    / 10GB
    swap 4Gb (have 4gb ram but think 4gb swap should be fine)
    /usr 136gb
    /home 50gb

Windows 7 100Gb
    Windows Vista 100GB

Shared Data (Hopefully in NTFS) 800GB

For testing other os's ( ubuntu, fedora core etc) 100Gb approx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Is there any advantage in having a seperate /usr partition. 136GB seems massive.

I've got a 10GB partition for / and 2GB for /home.
    Inside my home directory are symlinks to directories in my media partition (NTFS), eg movies, music etc.

You might want a seperate 50MB /boot partition if you want a ext4 root partition, because of problems with grub, might be solved.

If your looking for a challange look into LVM which allows partitions to span multiple hard disks and resize on the fly without rebooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I will be having a seperate /usr partition as will use it for trying out any program I come accross that seems to be decent. I want to keep the /home seperate for certain files & documents that i dont want to lose (have backed up but lots of hassle to transfer them back on). I will add a /boot, definiately a good idea. I was going to run it in raid 1 but that seems like could be interesting.
    Tillotson wrote: »
    Is there any advantage in having a seperate /usr partition. 136GB seems massive.

I've got a 10GB partition for / and 2GB for /home.
    Inside my home directory are symlinks to directories in my media partition (NTFS), eg movies, music etc.

You might want a seperate 50MB /boot partition if you want a ext4 root partition, because of problems with grub, might be solved.

If your looking for a challange look into LVM which allows partitions to span multiple hard disks and resize on the fly without rebooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I second that 136GB for /usr seems excessive. That's one hell of a lot of software!

I've took both your advice and dropped it to 50Gb and split the difference between /home and media area. Just so you know why i decided that amount, i have 100gb of software on my workstation pc so presumed would need alot of space on linux also 8-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

deceit wrote: »
    I've took both your advice and dropped it to 50Gb and split the difference between /home and media area. Just so you know why i decided that amount, i have 100gb of software on my workstation pc so presumed would need alot of space on linux also 8-).

Wow that's a lot! Bit of a software junkie?? :D

At the end of the day it's your PC. If you think you'll install loads then don't be stuck for space. As well off on the safe side. You have 1.5TB to play with after all. :)

Me though, I wouldn't near fill 50GB with software.

• Advertisement

bman wrote: »
    Wow that's a lot! Bit of a software junkie?? :D

At the end of the day it's your PC. If you think you'll install loads then don't be stuck for space. As well off on the safe side. You have 1.5TB to play with after all. :)

Me though, I wouldn't near fill 50GB with software.

The workstation was set up just to test software and see what I taught of it but the crap stuff never really removed just moved out of the way in case needed any of it again. I have seperate pc's for gaming core i7 :D and another for work/college stuff so didnt have to worry about it being clogged. This has two 1.5tb drives so I can put it in raid 0 instead if need space. Will replace the old workstation.

Advertisement