Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samoyeds excess hair

Options
  • 11-09-2009 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I have recently been asked to take a mistreated Samoyed. He is 7 months old and adorable. I have never had one and was wondering does his coat destroy your house or is it bearable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

My best mate has one and she lets it in the house but it's restricted to one room - the sittingroom. When it is put back out she has to hoover the sofa as its material and hover the floor too.

However she doesn't have the dog groomed half often enough.

I would imagine regular grooming would help the problem.

They should really only shed the same as a big fluffy cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

On carpet it can be quite bad, I have all wooden floors except for the stairs so it makes it easier to sweep and hoover. Wouldn't advise it for carpet you'll forever be cleaning it, I usually just take him out the back and brush it out but it still gets everywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

there is a good brush for taking out dead hair its called a furminator, ive seen them used on labradors with great results. Might help with the sheading in your house, google furminator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Our Samoyed is allowed to go where she wants as long as it's downstairs, where we have wooden floors. She gets a good brushing once a week, but still her hair gathers all around the place. I find it necessary to hoover and dust every morning. That only takes 10 mins though, so it's not too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

No idea about the hair - I just wanted to say a big well done on taking on a mistreated dog!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hey,just googled Samoyed grooming,found a couple of informative sites. www.samoyed.cc and www.samsmiles.org . Hope that helps. If you were asked to take the Sammy in by a dog fostering charity I'm sure they've lots of support and advice for you. Well done for giving him/her a home. For all the hassle and work that goes with a dog,I'm certain you'll get a lot more back! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

well done on taking the Sammy!! I have a puppy that I would brush at a minimum every second day but usually every day. And he does shed quite a bit. He's only allowed in the back rom of the house with me and I do have to hoover that room every day especialy anywhere he's been lying down!

Furminators are supposed to reduce shedding unbelievably! You can get them on ebay for 75% cheaper than the shops.

Their personality and companionshio more than makes up for the shedding though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

kazza90210 wrote: »
    there is a good brush for taking out dead hair its called a furminator, ive seen them used on labradors with great results. Might help with the sheading in your house, google furminator!

Furminators are brilliant but don't use if he has sore skin. I got one of the small ones for my cats and I swear I could make another cat with all the hair that came off them:eek: got mine on ebay much cheaper

Advertisement