Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the boss?

Options
  • 11-09-2009 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I tend to spend alot more time with my dog than my wife. I walk it each day and play fetch with it in the back yard. My wife tends to just take some notice of the dog in the evening as she isn't big into dogs.

However, when we let the dog in the house she takes alot more notice of my partner. I can raise my tone to her but she'll just ignore me. Whereas if my wife does it the dog obeys her.

If she jumps out of her bed and runs around the place, I could shout all day and she'd take no notice but when my wife shouts she goes straight back to her bed.

Is it that she sees me as more of a playmate than a master? How can I change this? She's a cocker spaniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Human nature ...the more time you spend with the dog, the more you are inclined to let it get away with things every now and then.

The dog knows that on the few occassions your wife addresses it, she means business ...whereas with you there might be a chance that you won't follow through on what you say :D

Try to involve some more strict training sessions in your playtime with the dog so that it understands when you're serious and when you're not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive noticed this aswell and heres my take on it because my Lab is the exact same.She takes more notice of my wife than she does of me.

My Lab is a female and I reckon she sees my wife as the "alpha female" so takes more notice of her than me.

When we had a male dog he used to take more notice of me despite the fact that my wife spent more time with the dog than me.

Dont know how right or wrong I am on this but it makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We have the same thing going on, except that when we are indoors, the dog is fantastic for me. He'll jump to attention, be interested, relaxed and willing to please. With K he is jumpy, headstrong, turns everything into a game of wills. But outside, K can let him off lead, he will walk with him, run ahead when allowed, wait on command and come as soon as he's called (almost). With me, he runs off and comes back when he feels like it. It's like the roles completly change between K & I when we go from indoor to outdoor. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Odd, our two female dogs listen to my dad more than my mother. And he's not there half the time. She's doing the feeding etc. They'll listen to me too though. I think it's how you act with them and how you present yourself. My mother yells, my father uses a stern voice. I too would use a stern voice when giving a command if they won't get off the bed or whatever. I think they see my mother as one of the pack, but myself or dad are more pack leaders if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's about finding the middle balance with them, I spend a lot of time with my husky and so does my girlfriend but she lets him away with things and is more easy going, she yells at him when he does something but doesn't really correct him. I feed him every morning, afternoon and evening, make him sit and wait for it. I always walk him every day and teach him the road etc, not to pull on the lead , I give him water, I play with him and teach him tricks but when he steps out of line I don't yell I speak loud and clear and let him know it's not allowed. He listens to all my commands and clearly see's me as his friend and his pack leader as he doesn't do this with the others.

I recently went away for a week and when I came home he jumped up to see me and got all excited but a simple "Sit" and he was calm as ever...apparently he ran in muck when I was gone but good as ever when I'm back, in saying that I'm showing my girlfriend how to get this from him as well, hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

My dog looks and my husband for play and fun in the garden but also will not take instruction from him.

He would never disobey me though.

I think he looks at my hubby as his partner in crime and his best firend and looks at me like he mother of the two.

I am often jealous at the fun they both have and my husband is the same when the dog will sit when I tell him once and he has tried 20 times.

Advertisement